Free Balls - good start to the year

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Received my copy of Golf Monthly today. As I expected, the letter I wrote in December was letter of the month. 6 dozen Pro V1s, thank you very much.

I knew when I wrote it that it had a good chance. I've had a bee in my bonnet for a long time that clubs are doing it wrong trying to attract young members. What I'm sure would be effective is trying to reach members of sports clubs who are getting too old for their chosen sports. I used to play rugby, cricket & tennis at a local club & many of the former members from 50 years ago I now see on the golf course.

Once a sportsman, always a sportsman. Go after the older folks with a bit of disposable income. Younger players are always more likely to be "pay & play"

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Received my copy of Golf Monthly today. As I expected, the letter I wrote in December was letter of the month. 6 dozen Pro V1s, thank you very much.

I knew when I wrote it that it had a good chance. I've had a bee in my bonnet for a long time that clubs are doing it wrong trying to attract young members. What I'm sure would be effective is trying to reach members of sports clubs who are getting too old for their chosen sports. I used to play rugby, cricket & tennis at a local club & many of the former members from 50 years ago I now see on the golf course.

Once a sportsman, always a sportsman. Go after the older folks with a bit of disposable income. Younger players are always more likely to be "pay & play"

You could be on to something. Not being able to play football is one of the main reasons I took up golf, then I fell in love with the game. I know a few others in a similar position

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
BM - For me it was hockey.

Clubs for years have thrown money at juniors and ladies yet many, not all, struggle to gain new members in those groups. MiB is right, imo, in targeting the groups suggested as they are far more likely to join and keep playing. I'd love bigger junior and ladies sections but historically those drives for membership have not given much back. A pragmatic view.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
BM - For me it was hockey.

Clubs for years have thrown money at juniors and ladies yet many, not all, struggle to gain new members in those groups. MiB is right, imo, in targeting the groups suggested as they are far more likely to join and keep playing. I'd love bigger junior and ladies sections but historically those drives for membership have not given much back. A pragmatic view.

I never understand this obsession with getting more women to play golf.
If women want to play golf then great,but if not I can’t see why it really matters.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf needs to attract people of all ages and sex. Narrowing the focus might indeed help with the bread&butter finance of clubs but taking a narrow focus is also one golf's biggest problems in my opinion.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow that’s epic! I got a sleeve of pro v1s off them for a question I posted on this forum and I was happy with that

You must be over the moon!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I never understand this obsession with getting more women to play golf.
If women want to play golf then great,but if not I can’t see why it really matters.

The ongoing point is 50%, approx, of the population are female yet very few play golf. That is an untapped market which sounds great to anyone with a business mind. Problem is no matter how much is ploughed in it seems not to work, or with very limited results. Move those resources to attract the people MiB is talking about and the return it likely to be much greater.

It is painful for anyone in business to turn away from a large potential market but sometimes it just makes sense. I should add, my point is not to turn away female golfers or neglect them, just accept it has limited appeal and concentrate elsewhere on growing the game.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll give you £50 for the lot :rofl:

Great stuff MIB that really is a nice start to the year - well done!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The ongoing point is 50%, approx, of the population are female yet very few play golf. That is an untapped market which sounds great to anyone with a business mind. Problem is no matter how much is ploughed in it seems not to work, or with very limited results. Move those resources to attract the people MiB is talking about and the return it likely to be much greater.

It is painful for anyone in business to turn away from a large potential market but sometimes it just makes sense. I should add, my point is not to turn away female golfers or neglect them, just accept it has limited appeal and concentrate elsewhere on growing the game.

Spot on.
Golf just doesn’t appeal to the majority of women & no matter how you dress it up it never will.

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Interesting topic. I think you are correct. I'm 32 and have come from triathlon which has a lot of money and executive types in it. It's not uncommon to see amateurs with bikes worth over 5k and people receiving paid coaching etc. As a big guy I'm not your average build for endurance sports and trying to keep on top of 3 sports in your free time is very time and energy consuming. Right now I'm studying for a promotion exam at work so have shelved it. I neither have the time or am able to spend the rest of the day exhausted. Golf has proved a great outlet for me, a blend of technical and social and a mental escape from work/study. I don't go home tired after a round of golf either so I can still concentrate if I am going to work or getting my head in a book. Not sure I will go back to triathlon TBH, it's too all-consuming.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could be on to something. Not being able to play football is one of the main reasons I took up golf, then I fell in love with the game. I know a few others in a similar position

I still play both but it was as I was nearing 30 and thinking that I wouldn't be able to keep playing football forever, which in part pushed me back towards playing golf more regularly.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Strangely enough MIB I have banged on at my place with the same message. Every new 45 year old will pay the full price whereas younger members get significant discounts. I suggested they use some of the annual subs to give new 'oldies' a few lessons, teach tgem some rules and bring in the swindle organisers into the plan so that there is immediately a game to integrate these newbies. Hopefully, they will then bring their kids to the game.

As you would expect no one is interested. Also, this would be additional to trying to recruit the 30'ish year olds

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Add in the fact that in a lot of clubs the demographic of the female membership is high, it's an area that well run clubs will look to address as there is a big market and they are a vital part of the club. Our ladies section still have Tuesday morning set aside for their comps/matches etc and it's a day the club knows it'll get reasonable revenue from food and drink. Add in the fact that many do a lot for the club behind the scenes too and it has to be a win-win to get more and ideally younger members who'll be around for a number of years

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From my experience not all juniors give up completely. They just play elsewhere after they have gone to university, joined the forces or moved location to get a better job.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From my experience not all juniors give up completely. They just play elsewhere after they have gone to university, joined the forces or moved location to get a better job.

True. Some will drift away (beer and women) but may pick it up later. Others get good and maybe go to better clubs and some as you say do other things like uni, move or serve in the forces. I think it's good if a club can get them as real youngsters (my club is running junior academies and starting to get some good interest) and then keep them for a few years. Granted they don't bring anything significant to revenue lines but I think it's always good to see a club with a thriving junior section

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think if you only think of the benefit of the club you will become disheartened when people leave. It's for the mutual benefit of the sport to get people interested young. They will likely come back, just maybe not to you. If everyone took the mindset of growing the sport rather than growing the club the benefit will be there for everyone in the sport... in time. Probably take a generation though.

It sounds like something the governing body should be making more of an effort in. It could well be they are, I'm just new to the sport and don't know of the schemes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Scoop, the governing body do a lot but golf struggles because it is not and never will be a school sport. You have to attract new players cold, the hardest thing to do.

Your point is very admirable but it's tough to ask a club to put time and money into a group of people but barely see any benefit directly long term. That is where England golf comes in but they need clubs to embrace the policy too.