Formats of play you just don't like or can't play!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Texas Scrambles - hate them. Being the low handicapper in the group, all I ever hear is "oh you try and drive the green". Which on a water-surrounded course means a couple of balls being sacrificed just to keep some 18 handicapper happy. I wind up taking my three drives in the first five holes and then wasting my time the rest of the round. Thanks but no thanks.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yup - I enjoy it as a social form of golf and a different sort of challenge - fun to play with a lady and working out strengths and weaknesses of your partner.

I'm usually longest and straightest off the tee - but it's not always the best thing to take my ball every time and have my lady partner hitting second shot. Play with a lady who is reasonably long off the tee (ladies are almost invariably straight) and it is often the right choice to take the ladies ball, especially on par 4s when ladies might not be able to reach the green playing my ball, but I can reach playing hers.

Interesting.

You have summed up the situation I have frequently experienced and I find it far from interesting. It's generally awkward.

If I want fun I won't be playing in any competition.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Texas Scrambles - hate them. Being the low handicapper in the group, all I ever hear is "oh you try and drive the green". Which on a water-surrounded course means a couple of balls being sacrificed just to keep some 18 handicapper happy. I wind up taking my three drives in the first five holes and then wasting my time the rest of the round. Thanks but no thanks.
Think I'd be saying "Give us a ball then!"
I'll play & enjoy most formats as long as they are set up properly.
Can't understand the general aversion on here to the Par/Bogey format, as surely that's what most folks play when out playing solo or is there a better format I'm unaware of?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
@patricks148
You had a enjoyable game in a format you already enjoy and you think that's going to change people's minds who don't enjoy it? That would be like if you said you hate sprouts, and I told you I ate some very enjoyable sprouts the other day.. and people say they don't like sprouts!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
@patricks148
You had a enjoyable game in a format you already enjoy and you think that's going to change people's minds who don't enjoy it? That would be like if you said you hate sprouts, and I told you I ate some very enjoyable sprouts the other day.. and people say they don't like sprouts!
your reason for not enjoying is you have to pay to play and think its a waste of a green fee is it not?

have you ever played it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
your reason for not enjoying is you have to pay to play and think its a waste of a green fee is it not?

have you ever played it?
Not just that, even if it was free it would be like playing only half a round. When I hit a good tee shot I want to be playing the next shot. I just prefer to play my own ball for the whole thing, as that, to me, is golf. If I play a bad shot I take the consequences not my partner. I haven't played it, but I have played scramble pairs, and even that I didn't like because I wasn't playing my ball or my own shot half the time. It's just an individual thing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not just that, even if it was free it would be like playing only half a round. When I hit a good tee shot I want to be playing the next shot. I just prefer to play my own ball for the whole thing, as that, to me, is golf. If I play a bad shot I take the consequences not my partner. I haven't played it, but I have played scramble pairs, and even that I didn't like because I wasn't playing my ball or my own shot half the time. It's just an individual thing.
up to you but i wouldn't be so closed minded on something without trying it.... even sprouts:LOL:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Pretty ignorant view. Nothing stopping you entering a scramble with 3 similar handicap players/mates. Is there anything stopping you from saying sorry I won't be going for the green here. I've also played in scrambles with very low guys who will opt not to use their drives and sacrifice some distance to assist the team.

D

Deleted member 1147

I love a Texas Scramble - I feel like I can be aggressive, try shots i normally wouldn't, go for my putts with less worry about the consequences of missing.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pretty ignorant view. Nothing stopping you entering a scramble with 3 similar handicap players/mates. Is there anything stopping you from saying sorry I won't be going for the green here. I've also played in scrambles with very low guys who will opt not to use their drives and sacrifice some distance to assist the team.

All of ours are pre-drawn with spreads of handicaps. So not ignorant at all.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You have summed up the situation I have frequently experienced and I find it far from interesting. It's generally awkward.

Me and my 4ball partner entered a Mixed Foursomes event this year, I have to say it was extremely enjoyable and fun. We'll definitely enter next year too.

I like the format, in fact forget the word 'mixed', it's just foursomes. It shouldn't matter if your partner is a lady or bloke, in a few years all club competitions will be open to all members, not individual sexes.

D

Deleted member 1147

Anyone ever played a "par is your friend" competition?

Our Pro's day was one the other year, and it had a very mixed reception!

Basically, you play as a 4 ball with any scores which are net birdie or better counting towards your score. As such the worst you can finish is level!

I quite enjoyed it, in as much as you had to be aggressive. So, a chip or putt for birdie (net) had to go in, just getting close didn't matter as the par didn't really count.
Others didn't like it as they felt they were pretty much out of the hole to often and too early, especially when hitting a poor drive on a hole where they got no shots.
I think this was definitely an event which favoured teams with plenty of shots to go at.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I can see why you may not enjoy it - and I suspect that I'm in a small minority in quite enjoying it as a very occasional bit of fun - but I'm not sure what aspect of it you find awkward.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me and my 4ball partner entered a Mixed Foursomes event this year, I have to say it was extremely enjoyable and fun. We'll definitely enter next year too.

I like the format, in fact forget the word 'mixed', it's just foursomes. It shouldn't matter if your partner is a lady or bloke, in a few years all club competitions will be open to all members, not individual sexes.
I don't have the same issue with mixed foresomes; who plays and when are predetermined and part of the format. No discussion, no decision, no (potential) problem.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A Waltz is normally 3 or 4 player team. 1 to count on 1st, 2 to count on 2nd, 3 to count on 3rd. And then repeated ....
A reverse waltz is 3, 2, 1 to count from the first. Then repeated.

Always known these as Progressive (& regressive) Alliance

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't have the same issue with mixed foresomes; who plays and when are predetermined and part of the format. No discussion, no decision, no (potential) problem.
What do you mean pre determined? It's the same discussion as same sex fourseomes, you decide who tees off on which holes. Or are you referring to greensomes, when you HAVE to take a certain number of tee shots etc?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What do you mean pre determined? It's the same discussion as same sex fourseomes, you decide who tees off on which holes. Or are you referring to greensomes, when you HAVE to take a certain number of tee shots etc?
See post #84.

Never played greensomes with any requirement as to who plays how many 2nd shots (unlike T's scrambles where it's normal) - would just make it a Mickey Mouse format (handicapping already deals with the probability of who might play what when from a competitive perspective).

To reiterate, my problem with mixed greensomes is the frequent massive disparity over 2nd shot aims and objectives (recognising that there are many lady golfers who would feel the same way playing with me, but in general they don't enter such fun formats!) which leads to a constant stress over who plays 2nd when played competitively, and the associated issues.

A simple example - in the last match I played in this format I was constantly playing from 180/200 yds because I could get to the green (odds not high obviously) whilst my partner couldn't/wouldn't take on the alternative. Not fun. Not competitive.