Formats of play you just don't like or can't play!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't like greensomes. It's a stupid society game for crap golfers that can't put an 18 hole score together on their own :p

Scratch foursomes sorts out the men from the boys (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m happy to play any format and get the same enjoyment from them - Foursomes is a really great test of golf and course management as well as patience - bogey is a strange one but fun.

Not sure how people can’t play a Stableford when it’s just a Medal with different scoring - play it as a medal , put your gross scores in and then let the system take care of itself

And just to confirm

Strokeplay = Medal and Stableford 😡

I'm 100% with you on foursomes and bogey. I really love the very specific challenges they present - though I wouldn't want to have to play them regularly.

On Bogey I find it a real mental challenge standing on the tee knowing what I must score to halve or win a hole. Then similarly after every shot I know what I must do. And so for instance when you put one in the doggie doo off the tee, t's a very different thought process than normal trying to work out how to get out of the hole without losing it.

Foursomes I find a great training ground for the mental aspect of our game that demands acceptance of the shot that has just been played.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Medals and Stablefords as they are the same to me. Singles match play.
Any other format is a waste of a weekends golf. Does nothing for my handicap, and because I’m not interested I play well...which royally irritates me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m happy to play any format and get the same enjoyment from them - Foursomes is a really great test of golf and course management as well as patience - bogey is a strange one but fun.

Not sure how people can’t play a Stableford when it’s just a Medal with different scoring - play it as a medal , put your gross scores in and then let the system take care of itself

And just to confirm

Strokeplay = Medal and Stableford 😡
Foursome is not a great test if your mate puts you in the trees all day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know, as do most golfers yet still it is disliked by so many. If you have an 8 on a par 4 it still gets written as 8 on the card. The h/c may ultimately not read it as that but it is what the card says. To hit par in stableford, forget CCS, you aim for 36 points. That may involve a couple of 0 scores but the joy of stableford is that you can blank those. On the same course par in strokeplay could be 72. That same 36 points in stableford can come out as a nett 76 in strokeplay. Dress it up all you like, we add the numbers up in their totalitly for each scoring method and strokeplay hurts more.

Anyway, Wolf and others are allowed to like Strokeplay and dislike Stableford, I and others are allowed the reverse :D
Imo strokeplay is nothing like Stableford!
Yes the same rules apply except for one.
You don’t need to hole out on every hole to put in a score.
This takes pressure of some people and they enjoy it more.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing in the Bondhay Open later this year, I've just been told the format is 1 to count from first 6 holes, 2 to count from the next 6, 3 to count holes 13 - 17 and all four to count on the 18th.

Have never come across this before, does it have a name?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
65 posts and no one has mentioned mixed greensomes (either way)....

Yup - I enjoy it as a social form of golf and a different sort of challenge - fun to play with a lady and working out strengths and weaknesses of your partner.

I'm usually longest and straightest off the tee - but it's not always the best thing to take my ball every time and have my lady partner hitting second shot. Play with a lady who is reasonably long off the tee (ladies are almost invariably straight) and it is often the right choice to take the ladies ball, especially on par 4s when ladies might not be able to reach the green playing my ball, but I can reach playing hers.

Interesting.

D

Deleted member 15344

Playing in the Bondhay Open later this year, I've just been told the format is 1 to count from first 6 holes, 2 to count from the next 6, 3 to count holes 13 - 17 and all four to count on the 18th.

Some clubs call it a waltz

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

This made absolutely no sense to me. Do you mean that you play in fourballs and your best score counts on 1-6, best 2 scores count 7-12 etc?