Formats of play you just don't like or can't play!

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i play golf so no matter what the format i play golf ,its not every week that you play texas scrambles or bogey competitions and when we do its a pleasant change to the norm ,my favourite form is matchplay single or foursome .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't like bogey, never got my head around it so never enjoyed it. I don't enjoy stroke play but just get on with it. I haven't played matchplay for a long time, I find it a bit aggressive and not as friendly as other formats.

Favourites are stableford and texas scramble.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Foursomes is a great way of playing golf in th winter months , gets you round the course quickly and forces you to think about the shot.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-21

Stableford

a
Overview of Stableford

Stableford is a form of stroke play where

😡

Haha. I feel your pain.

Bogey is the only format that I really can struggle with. It does lend itself to being really aggressive, but i’m not good enough to fire at pins and stiff it every time.

Foursomes is fine as long as you select your partner well. You need someone you can bounce off and isn’t going to get worked up.

Love a Texas scramble as it is licence to go really low!!

We play one competition as Guildford Greensomes, and that’s pukka too

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Foursomes and to a slightly lesser degree greensomes. It is bad enough when I get myself into trouble. I really don't need that guilty feeling when my playing partner bangs out a hell of a drive and I then top the next shot into the hazard:rolleyes:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Foursomes and to a slightly lesser degree greensomes. It is bad enough when I get myself into trouble. I really don't need that guilty feeling when my playing partner bangs out a hell of a drive and I then top the next shot into the hazard:rolleyes:
Which is part of my loathing for foursomes. Can never concentrate when I'm walking and not playing a full shot for what seems ages and I really don't see anything enjoyable in the format. At least with greensomes I can bang a tee shot on each ole and if my partner hits a poor one we still have a chance to get one in play. Somehow the gap between shots seems less and I can deal with not playing the next one better. Might just be me. Other than that, not a fan of a Texas scramble as it's sooooooooo slow and I get bored

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Other than that, not a fan of a Texas scramble as it's sooooooooo slow and I get bored

How is Texas Scramble slow? I always find it one of the fastest formats to play. But maybe that's just me, because it gives me the chance to hit second shots into the green from positions where I could never be if I had to rely on my own tee shot. And opposed to foursomes/greensomes completely pressure free. I like it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How is Texas Scramble slow? I always find it one of the fastest formats to play. But maybe that's just me, because it gives me the chance to hit second shots into the green from positions where I could never be if I had to rely on my own tee shot. And opposed to foursomes/greensomes completely pressure free. I like it.
We usually play it as a nine hole social event and I have foolishly put my name down in the past. Time everyone has got their original shots, gone to the shot of choice, discussed how far, hit, collected balls etc it seems an eternity. Maybe I was unlucky to be par of a group including senior male and females each time but it just seemed to go on forever.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-21

Stableford

a
Overview of Stableford

Stableford is a form of stroke play where

😡
I know, as do most golfers yet still it is disliked by so many. If you have an 8 on a par 4 it still gets written as 8 on the card. The h/c may ultimately not read it as that but it is what the card says. To hit par in stableford, forget CCS, you aim for 36 points. That may involve a couple of 0 scores but the joy of stableford is that you can blank those. On the same course par in strokeplay could be 72. That same 36 points in stableford can come out as a nett 76 in strokeplay. Dress it up all you like, we add the numbers up in their totalitly for each scoring method and strokeplay hurts more.

Anyway, Wolf and others are allowed to like Strokeplay and dislike Stableford, I and others are allowed the reverse :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm happy with medal or Stableford. At our place there tends to be more Stablefords in winter, which is nice as it's more forgiving and lets you off for a shocking hole that might have been down to the conditions. The summer comps are usually medal. I think you have to play slightly more conservatively in a medal because you can't just write off a hole and move on if you're in the crap. I enjoy the challenge though.

One format I won't play is foursomes. Can't be bothered playing only half the number of shots. If I hit a decent drive I want to be the one playing it to the green, not someone else. Add in that I pay green fees with my membership, so I'm unlikely to pay a full green fee and play half the shots. Any alternate shot format just isn't for me. I know plenty of people say the same.

Never played in a bogey comp either, but they just don't really have any at my place - think there's one in January and that's it. I had no idea how it works so haven't ever entered it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I know, as do most golfers yet still it is disliked by so many. If you have an 8 on a par 4 it still gets written as 8 on the card. The h/c may ultimately not read it as that but it is what the card says. To hit par in stableford, forget CCS, you aim for 36 points. That may involve a couple of 0 scores but the joy of stableford is that you can blank those. On the same course par in strokeplay could be 72. That same 36 points in stableford can come out as a nett 76 in strokeplay. Dress it up all you like, we add the numbers up in their totalitly for each scoring method and strokeplay hurts more.

Anyway, Wolf and others are allowed to like Strokeplay and dislike Stableford, I and others are allowed the reverse :D
You have missed the point

STABLEFORD is STROKE PLAY

Stableford is not a different form of golf it is a different method of scoring but essentially the same way of playing the game😡.

As for the rest of the post about CSS - eh ?

Your HC is worked out on your Stableford adjustment regardless of what “Strokeplay” scoring format is used

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Stableford is not a different form of golf it is a different method of scoring but essentially the same way of playing the game😡.

Your HC is worked out on your Stableford adjustment regardless of what “Strokeplay” scoring format is used
It is the same game but the SCORING is different. Exactly. That is what I don't like about it. That is why Mr Stableford invented his method. If it made no difference the scoring system would have been binned and no one would use it. People like the Stableford system because it is a gentler form of golf, less punishing.

I understand that a number on here can not get their head around why many golfers like stableford but don't like strokeplay. Perhaps you will just have to accept it for what it is.

Wolf

Visit site

He hasn't missed the point at all.

He's made a valid point that to some of us shooting maybe a 76 for 36 points isn't satisfactory, because regardless if its in principle same format some of us don't like it.

But sometimes you get overly offended and worked up instead of actually reading and absorbing what has been written, and try to make your point even more just because you can't .

Just to reiterate as you state same format DIFFERENT scoring method which some of us simply don't like especially in competition.

We all know the format and what it's based on but as LT last sentence in his first post described we are allowed to not like it.. Which part of people having their own preferences can you not accept.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't think of any form of golf I don't enjoy playing. We play so much stroke play at my club that it makes a nice change to play all these different formats, in fact I'd prefer it if we had more comps that aren't singles stroke play.

D

Deleted member 15344

He hasn't missed the point at all.

He's made a valid point that to some of us shooting maybe a 76 for 36 points isn't satisfactory, because regardless if its in principle same format some of us don't like it.

But sometimes you get overly offended and worked up instead of actually reading and absorbing what has been written, and try to make your point even more just because you can't .

Just to reiterate as you state same format DIFFERENT scoring method which some of us simply don't like especially in competition.

We all know the format and what it's based on but as LT last sentence in his first post described we are allowed to not like it.. Which part of people having their own preferences can you not accept.

Right it’s simple

You both stated

You don’t like Stableford but like Strokeplay

STABLEFORD is STROKEPLAY 😡

How can you dislike and like the same format of playing golf 🤦‍♂️

That’s the point being made that you both are clearly missed 🙄

D

Deleted member 21258

Surely this thread is talking about opinion and people not liking a certain format.

Why try to tell someone that they should enjoy a certain format as it is a form of another format.

It is an opinion and what people like or do not like playing the rest is pointless .:confused: