Formats of play you just don't like or can't play!

Wolf

Visit site
After my wee chat in the I played today thread, I got to wondering are the any formats you can't stand or just can't play..

For me it's Stableford, I can't stand it and rarely and I mean very rarely do I score well in it. I literally get bored of playing for points and lose my focus on the course and end up going through the motions, and end up standing in the tee box almost telling myself what I need to get on each hole for that hole to get the right number of points.

Growing up as a junior we rarely played stableford it was always medal play, so I got so used to playing against par and loved the challenge of beating that number and playing against the course.

I don't think its a coincidence that since returning to play this wonderful game in November last year that whenever I've played Strokeplay comps I've played my best golf. Yet most of our comps are stableford and in those I end up chasing points telling myself what I need to get 2 points or 3 on each shot rather than just focusing on playing, in medal play in don't care what I score on each hole just what the number is at the end..

It's meant to be the other way round that stableford is easier, but for me it's a pain in the arse and I can't stand it. Plus in my house even now if I talk to my dad the conversation is never how many points you get, it's what did you shoot..

So anyone else got a format they can't stand or maybe even one you just prefer and are better at.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would concur about Stableford, i rarely play it, you can get away with only playing well for only 17 holes and still win even if you have an 8 on the card.

But my least Favourite is Bogey medal, hate it, which is a shame as its another comp a week i won't play in

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I really really struggle with strokeplay. I think I've got a real concentration issue, and even when I'm playing well I throw away shots like nothing else and get down on myself.

I've got a bit better and put a few reasonable cards in this year - but I'd say I definitely play and score better at Stableford, matchplay and 4BBB.

Personally don't like a scramble really either. I feel that you end up playing a lot of shots that don't count for much and you really have to play good irons and putts to contribute.

D

Deleted member 18588

Only the one for me, and I know that it's very popular with a lot of forumers, but I would rather garden than ever again play a Texas Scramble.

Long winded and pointless.

If I didn't drive it 280 yards down the middle why should I be playing my "second" shot from there?

Wolf

Visit site
I would concur about Stableford, i rarely play it, you can get away with only playing well for only 17 holes and still win even if you have an 8 on the card.

But my least Favourite is Bogey medal, hate it, which is a shame as its another comp a week i won't play in
You know what that could be what my issue is with it, because I know in theory you don't have to play well the whole way round I never really switch on the playing properly so start slow and then start chasing a number of points on each hole. The format just doesn't hold my interest.

I've only ever played Bogey once, that was few weeks ago, played ok but couldnt get going finished 1dn to the course and went up 0.1 as a few high handicappers came in 4up.. Not sure ill play that again either tbh.

I really really struggle with strokeplay. I think I've got a real concentration issue, and even when I'm playing well I throw away shots like nothing else and get down on myself.

I've got a bit better and put a few reasonable cards in this year - but I'd say I definitely play and score better at Stableford, matchplay and 4BBB.

Personally don't like a scramble really either. I feel that you end up playing a lot of shots that don't count for much and you really have to play good irons and putts to contribute.
I love matchplay, 4BBB and Strokeplay really get into them. Stableford though like you are with stableford I cannot concentrate at all from the very start. I'm bored before I tee off, but play because other there won't be chance of a game.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Usually about now someone points out that Stableford is a form of strokeplay.. oops I've done it.
Maybe it is in the head but why not just treat it as strokeplay medal?
I recall one good/steady society season where I didn't score any no points holes. Would have thought that would be easy for you low cappers.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bogey and Foursomes as previous posters
But I've never made a secret about never feeling the love for Matchplay
I'm probably in a miniscule minority but there it is
I play it at forum meets but thats about it
I struggle to get my head around the potential of winning a hole with a double bogey or worse as long as it's better than the oppo's score....

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m happy to play any format and get the same enjoyment from them - Foursomes is a really great test of golf and course management as well as patience - bogey is a strange one but fun.

Not sure how people can’t play a Stableford when it’s just a Medal with different scoring - play it as a medal , put your gross scores in and then let the system take care of itself

And just to confirm

Strokeplay = Medal and Stableford 😡

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only the one for me, and I know that it's very popular with a lot of forumers, but I would rather garden than ever again play a Texas Scramble.

Long winded and pointless.

If I didn't drive it 280 yards down the middle why should I be playing my "second" shot from there?
A tedious fromat of golf I agree. The only place where I have found it's format useful is when playing with children learning the game. I used to go round with my son playing this format just the two of us and it got us round the course reasonably quickly, allowed him to have shots that counted and we would try and beat our previous score.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m happy to play any format and get the same enjoyment from them - Foursomes is a really great test of golf and course management as well as patience - bogey is a strange one but fun.

Not sure how people can’t play a Stableford when it’s just a Medal with different scoring - play it as a medal , put your gross scores in and then let the system take care of itself

And just to confirm

Strokeplay = Medal and Stableford
😡

And Bogey.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Foursomes. Hate the format and won't touch it. I'll play greensomes at an absolute push as at least I get to hit tee shots on each hole. We only have one bogey event (two rounds played over any four days of Easter of your choice, e.g you can choose Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Saturday, Sunday etc). I find it a hard format as it's so unforgiving but as a one off happy to play it