Formats of play you just don't like or can't play!

Wolf

Visit site
Right it’s simple

You both stated

You don’t like Stableford but like Strokeplay

STABLEFORD is STROKEPLAY 😡

How can you dislike and like the same format of playing golf 🤦‍♂️

That’s the point being made that you both are clearly missed 🙄
The forum fun sponge as always Phil 🙄

Listening and absorbing information, opinions and preferences of others isn't your strong point and as always a thread comes down to people having to point out to you they don't have to agree with what your saying.

Dress up with shouty capitals and angry faces all you want but the fact is neither of us have missed your point, you simply as always have not listened to others. You've made your point enough times in bold and capitals like a spoilt child trying to shout louder until people give in to them.

We both know it's based on the same format. But the key word is is different scoring method.. I can go out have 16 good holes and 2 where I don't even score because the balls in my pocket and come in with 36 points level handicap. Sorry but to me that's not golf I enjoy because I've only scored on 16 holes and failed to play a full 18. That's stableford regardless if the handicap system then allocates me certain scores on the 2 blobbed. I'd rather play a full 18 even if it means I have to sign for an 8, 10 or whatever it is and see my final score there on the comp board in all its glory in medal format good or bad.

Even if those horrendous numbers are still recalculated under stableford format for handicap purposes it's irrelevant to me I don't care about stableford points I care about what I shot gross.

I'll simplify it for you my Mrs had a white pearlescent Audi A1 sport its lovely, my next door neighbour has the same car but in a flat white and I don't like it.. Same car, same colour but an ever so slightly different finish to it, just like Strokeplay and stableford, a small difference but still a difference to some of us...

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
Surely this thread is talking about opinion and people not liking a certain format.

Why try to tell someone that they should enjoy a certain format as it is a form of another format.

It is an opinion and what people like or do not like playing the rest is pointless .:confused:
Because to certain people were not allowed to have opinions or preferences that don't confirm to theirs🙄

Sadly means another thread derailed by the antics of the same poster.

What you have said is spot on its about preferences no matter how subtle the difference we are all entitled to like different things

D

Deleted member 15344

The forum fun sponge as always Phil 🙄

Listening and absorbing information, opinions and preferences of others isn't your strong point and as always a thread comes down to people having to point out to you they don't have to agree with what your saying.

Dress up with shouty capitals and angry faces all you want but the fact is neither of us have missed your point, you simply as always have listened to others. You've your point enough times in bold and capitals like a spoilt child trying to shout louder until people give in to them.

We both know it's based on the same format. But the key word is is different scoring method.. I can go out have 16 good holes and 2 where I don't even score because the balls in my pocket and come in with 36 points level handicap. Sorry but to me that's not golf I enjoy because I've only scored on 16 holes and failed to play a full 18. That's stableford regardless if the handicap system then allocates me certain scores on the 2 blobbed. I'd rather play a full 18 even if it means I have to sign for an 8, 10 or whatever it is and see my final score there on the comp board in all its glory in medal format good or bad.

Even if those horrendous numbers are still recalculated under stableford format for handicap purposes it's irrelevant to me I don't care about stableford points I care about what I shot gross.

I'll simplify it for you my Mrs had a white pearlescent Audi A1 sport its lovely, my next door neighbour has the same car but in a flat white and I don't like it.. Same car, same colour but an ever so slightly different finish to it, just like Strokeplay and stableford, a small difference but still a difference to some of us...
My god you still don’t get it

Strokeplay is not a scoring format - it’s a method of playing the game

Two main ways of playing the game - Strokeplay and Matchplay

Strokeplay has a number of scoring formats - bogey , Stableford and Medal

Not once has anyone told you that you must enjoy one format or the other - enjoy whatever format you want but get the terminology right - check the R&A rules

Strokeplay is a format of golf - Stableford is a scoring method 🤦‍♂

You play Stableford using the Strokeplay method of golf

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is the same game but the SCORING is different. Exactly. That is what I don't like about it. That is why Mr Stableford invented his method. If it made no difference the scoring system would have been binned and no one would use it. People like the Stableford system because it is a gentler form of golf, less punishing.

I understand that a number on here can not get their head around why many golfers like stableford but don't like strokeplay. Perhaps you will just have to accept it for what it is.
He was just being pedantic about your terminology, i.e. Stableford and strokeplay aren't different things, Stableford is a form of strokeplay. That's all. :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I know, as do most golfers yet still it is disliked by so many. If you have an 8 on a par 4 it still gets written as 8 on the card. The h/c may ultimately not read it as that but it is what the card says. To hit par in stableford, forget CCS, you aim for 36 points. That may involve a couple of 0 scores but the joy of stableford is that you can blank those. On the same course par in strokeplay could be 72. That same 36 points in stableford can come out as a nett 76 in strokeplay. Dress it up all you like, we add the numbers up in their totalitly for each scoring method and strokeplay hurts more.

Anyway, Wolf and others are allowed to like Strokeplay and dislike Stableford, I and others are allowed the reverse :D

I'm a bit different to the masses, I play mostly stableford but when i play medal I find its an easier scoring format for a better result in a comp compared to some in the field

I believe I have more chance of beating better golfers (those in the 10-18 hc range) with my conservative play but they have the edge in stableford by amassing more 3 & 4 pointers than me (even if they blow up on a hole or two) For some reason when changing the scoring many will run up double digit scores in a medal round & maybe use up half their entire handicap for the round on one hole

Anyway, formats I hate, pretty much any alternate shot format

Wolf

Visit site

Not once has anyone told you that you must enjoy one format or the other - enjoy whatever format you want but get the terminology right - check the R&A rules

Wow... You clearly can't read very well.

I know you play stableford using Strokeplay that's not rocket science and despite your protestations I am not thick and I do know how to play it and golf..

I do not like the scoring method..... As has been pointed out for many reasons above but again feel free to make this thread about you and your point making because we all know your the messiah on all things and can only ever be right 🙄

God forbid people have a different preference on scoring method!

Medal I sign for my Strokeplay score for all 18 holes regardless good or bad. Stableford is my Strokeplay score converted to point's means I can have holes where I don't even score. I don't like that method which part of that can you not understand.

I'm entitled to not like something whether it's a playing format or scoring method.

If you had bothered to read my last post I even pointed out its the same just a different scoring method so yet again a response from you ignoring what's wirtten to just reiterate the same tripe that you have to be right ant the expense of others.

Perhaps just for once Phil you could learn to accept people don't have to agree with you, and they aren't missing the point no matter how many times you tell them they are because you have to always be right.. For the fact that once again you've made a thread become a play the poster I'm bowing out of my own thread.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He was just being pedantic about your terminology, i.e. Stableford and strokeplay aren't different things, Stableford is a form of strokeplay. That's all. :)
I know, I fell for it :cry:. Ha ha. I do understand when people talk about it being the same, I really do, but the psychology is different. I suspect it is largely a high h/c : low h/c thing

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I can see why some like strokeplay over stableford and vice versa.
I enjoy both to both to be fair, last week I had done my whole handicap after 5 holes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that makes the rest of the round a real drag..

At least in stableford I can have a blow up or 2 knowing i can maybe rescue something out of it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing I do prefer about medal is how your handicap isn't assigned to certain holes. In an ideal world there are some holes I'd like 2 shots on and plenty of holes where I could get by with no shots, but in Stableford you're bound by the stroke index as to how many shots and points you get. Whereas in medal it doesn't matter at all what shots you get where, you just play each hole the best way you can and it comes off at the end.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
One thing I do prefer about medal is how your handicap isn't assigned to certain holes. In an ideal world there are some holes I'd like 2 shots on and plenty of holes where I could get by with no shots, but in Stableford you're bound by the stroke index as to how many shots and points you get. Whereas in medal it doesn't matter at all what shots you get where, you just play each hole the best way you can and it comes off at the end.

And the very real possibility that at some courses the stroke index is assigned to each hole for matchplay format not strokeplay, which just makes it a bit silly

YandaB

Visit site

Have you checked the R&A rules of golf? There is no mention of medal whatsoever. Stroke play not "strokeplay" has a number of different forms of scoring. The rules refer to Regular Stroke Play which is counting every stroke and then offer alternative scoring methods such as Stableford etc. So when discussing scoring methods, Stroke Play is the Regular variety and others are specifically called out.

Here is the relevant section:

3.1a Form of Play: Match Play or Stroke Play

(1) Match Play or Regular Stroke Play. These are very different forms of play:
• In match play (see Rule 3.2), a player and an opponent compete against each other based on holes won, lost or tied.
• In the regular form of stroke play (see Rule 3.3), all players compete with one another based on the total score – that is, adding up each player’s total number of strokes (including strokes made and penalty strokes) on each hole in all rounds.

Most of the Rules apply in both forms of play, but certain Rules apply in only one or the other.

See Committee Procedures, Section 6C (considerations for the Committee if it runs a competition that combines the two forms of play in a single round).

(2) Other Forms of Stroke Play. Rule 21 covers other forms of stroke play (Stableford, Maximum Score and Par/Bogey) that use a different scoring method. Rules 1-20 apply in these forms of play, as modified by Rule 21.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And the very real possibility that at some courses the stroke index is assigned to each hole for matchplay format not strokeplay, which just makes it a bit silly
Agreed. Our stroke index 4 is a perfectly straight, quite wide, 350 yard par 4, and I've never worked out why it's so low in the SI. While on the other hand, our 3rd hole is a much tougher par 4, 400 yards with a narrow gap through trees for your tee shot, trees all down the right and a pitch to gather up any fades, and that's SI 11. In the context of Stableford it doesn't really make sense.

D

Deleted member 1147

Do those who dislike a stableford realise that you can mark the card as a medal?
You don't have to calculate or mark the points scored.
I don't tend to bother for my own score, I literally play a medal (or in your parlance, Strokeplay), and then work out how I've done, handicap-wise, using stableford scoring.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
Do those who dislike a stableford realise that you can mark the card as a medal?
You don't have to calculate or mark the points scored.
I don't tend to bother for my own score, I literally play a medal (or in your parlance, Strokeplay), and then work out how I've done, handicap-wise, using stableford scoring.

^^This.

I play every round as strokeplay/medal in my mind. So do most of the people I play with, regardless of the "official" scoring format on that day.

Unless you get any blobs on your card, calculating your stableford points from your gross score doesn't require more than two braincells.

That being said, playing off 18 I sometimes hate medal, especially when I get a high number on my card early in the round and then have to keep playing.

Texas scramble can be fun, but like someone already pointed out, it tends to be one of the slowest froms of play.

I love match play. Mostly because, other than the course, a human opponent makes mistakes as well and a hole isn't over until both balls are holed (not technically correct, but I hope you get the point).

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
Barring any impact on pace of play I tend to record every stroke on my card so I get a proper gross score regardless of scoring format being used, personally as a high handicapper I enjoy playing stableford comps more than medals as I can't ruin the entire comp on the first hole!

Been experimenting playing Wolf recently which has added an interesting aspect to social games.