Football - End of season report for your team

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think top 4 will be fairly achievable.
I'm not so sure. There will be Liverpool and City in there for sure. That leaves Arsenal, Spurs, Man United and Chelsea all vying for the other two spots not counting any dark horses breaking into the top six next season. The issue I see, is that even with new blood, the squad is still as wafer thin as it was in the final Wenger years and if you get a few injuries there is no quality to come in. You could levy the same argument at Spurs though but I think it'll be a tough fight to guarantee a top 4 spot and remain unconvinced at this moment (subject to what business they do for players in/out in the summer)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not so sure. There will be Liverpool and City in there for sure. That leaves Arsenal, Spurs, Man United and Chelsea all vying for the other two spots not counting any dark horses breaking into the top six next season. The issue I see, is that even with new blood, the squad is still as wafer thin as it was in the final Wenger years and if you get a few injuries there is no quality to come in. You could levy the same argument at Spurs though but I think it'll be a tough fight to guarantee a top 4 spot and remain unconvinced at this moment (subject to what business they do for players in/out in the summer)

I'd guess Chelsea will not be a factor, especially if the transfer ban happens. The fact they've signed Giroud already suggests they probably think the ban will stand.
Man U clearly could be, and should be well ahead of Spurs and Arsenal on paper. But in reality are probably going to be in the mix for 2 of 4 spots.

I reckon Spurs will do their usual and not spend a lot of money and retain a fairly decent squad. But assuming Arsenal improve, they should be better than Spurs next season. They should have beaten Spurs home and away this season, plus have so much capacity to improve away results.

Recent additions to the squad - Leno, Toriera, Guendozi, Sokratis - have all been the right kind of signing. Good value guys who don't cost the earth. Another few of them and maybe 1 big name - especially if they manage to get Ozil off the wage bill. Ramsey was on a big wage, and hopefully they will move on Mustafi, Iwobi.

Plus Maitland-Niles could be very productive. Possibly Emile Smith Rowe, Eddie Nketia and Krystian Bielik will make the step up and give us a bit of depth (more so if we are in EL). Albeit I appreciate most clubs will probably have guys hovering about at that level who they will throw into the mix at some point.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
With the league season over I though it was about the right time for the annual 'End of Season Review' for your club, how you see it as a supporter.

Everton - A 7 out of 10 season. A good start, an awful middle, a strong end. The important thing is that we have progressed and are enjoyable to watch again.

The good news is we ended well so go into the summer with hope. The team now have a style of play that works and is easy on the eye. The players understand and can play to the managers plan and that plan works. The work needed in the summer is not major and both the manager and the director of football speak well and are on the same page.

For me it is hugely important that we sign Gomes, Zouma would be a bonus but not critical. The other key area is upfront. We currently have Calvert-Lewin, great hold up play, doesn't score enough goals, and Tosun who the manager clearly does not fancy. We need to bring a striker in who will score goals and turn those tight games in our favour. Other additions would be on the fringes rather than key signings so Gomes plus a striker would make me happy.

Player of the season? Lucas Digne, class act.
Another lifelong Toffee here, and I think that's a good summary. Especially like the fact that the team arrested that mid season slump and finished strongly. Totally agree with Gomes and Digne, and I think Idrisse Gueye has also been phenomenal. Roll on next season, where i fully expect the triumph of hope over experience will once again lead to a roller coaster ride.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well the season is finished now

For me it’s a 9.5/10 season

Last season we finished 25 points behind City on fourth - this year we went toe to toe with them and taking it all the way down to the final game , massive strides forward to close that gap - one defeat all season and finishing with 97 points is outstanding - platform for next season

Domestic Cups - our early but useful for fringe and youngsters to get minutes

CL - conquered Europe again , beat PSG , Barcelona , Bayern Munich and Napoli on the way to lifting big ears for the 6th time

We have had so many false dawns of the years but this time it’s the real deal - the star players aren’t looking to leave , the star manager is the perfect manager , players will want to come and play for the club and the manager - can only be forward steps now - going to be another great battle next season

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well the season is finished now

For me it’s a 9.5/10 season

Last season we finished 25 points behind City on fourth - this year we went toe to toe with them and taking it all the way down to the final game , massive strides forward to close that gap - one defeat all season and finishing with 97 points is outstanding - platform for next season

Domestic Cups - our early but useful for fringe and youngsters to get minutes

CL - conquered Europe again , beat PSG , Barcelona , Bayern Munich and Napoli on the way to lifting big ears for the 6th time

We have had so many false dawns of the years but this time it’s the real deal - the star players aren’t looking to leave , the star manager is the perfect manager , players will want to come and play for the club and the manager - can only be forward steps now - going to be another great battle next season

Whilst i tend to agree with you, that's been said before all those false dawns too.......

D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst i tend to agree with you, that's been said before all those false dawns too.......

And you would be correct but imo Situation is a lot different than the previous “false dawns” - after 02 GH just wasted money on players like Diouf instead of bringing in Anelka

05 - the team did brilliantly but that squad needed a lot of work

08/09 - The start of the money issues with the pair of crooks and the best players leaving and not being replaced

13/14 - best player leaving again and not replaced

This time the best players aren’t looking to leave , the manager is getting the backing , any players coming in will only strengthen and just replace squad members.

Obviously it could all fall flat on its face and 12 months on everything could have gone wrong but right now this is the best place the club has been both on and off the field for must be 30 years now - stability off the pitch with owners who only want to improve the club and quality on the pitch. Already looking forward to next season

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
And you would be correct but imo Situation is a lot different than the previous “false dawns” - after 02 GH just wasted money on players like Diouf instead of bringing in Anelka

05 - the team did brilliantly but that squad needed a lot of work

08/09 - The start of the money issues with the pair of crooks and the best players leaving and not being replaced

13/14 - best player leaving again and not replaced

This time the best players aren’t looking to leave , the manager is getting the backing , any players coming in will only strengthen and just replace squad members.

Obviously it could all fall flat on its face and 12 months on everything could have gone wrong but right now this is the best place the club has been both on and off the field for must be 30 years now - stability off the pitch with owners who only want to improve the club and quality on the pitch. Already looking forward to next season
H

Hence why I said I tend to agree Phil....

Didnt need it all told to me again 😁😁

You're biggest challenge 8s quite simply city. If they get a euro ban then that makes the league easier for them. That's the trophy Liverpool need. And atm the team at the top have been outstanding for a couple of years now.