Football - End of season report for your team

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hope so, be great to see Villa back up, great club, 3 years out of top flight is long enough.
Makings of a decent side with some good watchable individuals in Grealish, McGinn, Abraham etc. Never head of their manager but I guess he's doing ok.
Just need Wednesday, Leeds, West Brom back up too, get rid of Bournemouth and Burnley etc - small clubs living off the EPL tv cash, not gate takes.
At least Bournemouth try and play nice football though. Nobody would miss Burnley.

U

User62651

No club in the EPL, including the top six, could maintain their current spending from gate and commercial receipts and that has been the case for over 20 years.

Also I appreciate that I am biased but in what way are they a great club. Haven't looked like winning anything for many years.

Showing my age here but in my mind they are, old enough to remember watching the European Cup win and being Division one champs season before that. That double alone merits greatness surely! Second in EPL early 90s I believe, yes they are not what they were but the potential is there and they could come again, sleeping giant.
Villa were a decent side nearly all my young years and so that got ingrained I think, to me they're one of the biggest English club sides. Remember Chelsea and Man City didn't really feature like they do now back in 80s/90s, Villa were a regular top 4 side. I'm not a fan of the club per se I just see them as a big club representing a big city and it'd be good to have them in the EPL again.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hope so, be great to see Villa back up, great club, 3 years out of top flight is long enough.
Makings of a decent side with some good watchable individuals in Grealish, McGinn, Abraham etc. Never head of their manager but I guess he's doing ok.
Just need Wednesday, Leeds, West Brom back up too, get rid of Bournemouth and Burnley etc - small clubs living off the EPL tv cash, not gate takes.
Small clubs eh? Both are doing very well and teaching some of your so called big clubs a thing or two on how to run a football club. If every PL club was 'big' then there would hardly be any home grown players in the top division as teams would be full of expensive foreign imports :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 18588

Showing my age here but in my mind they are, old enough to remember watching the European Cup win and being Division one champs season before that. That double alone merits greatness surely! Second in EPL early 90s I believe, yes they are not what they were but the potential is there and they could come again, sleeping giant.
Villa were a decent side nearly all my young years and so that got ingrained I think, to me they're one of the biggest English club sides. Remember Chelsea and Man City didn't really feature like they do now back in 80s/90s, Villa were a regular top 4 side. I'm not a fan of the club per se I just see them as a big club representing a big city and it'd be good to have them in the EPL again.

They certainly don't represent a big city. Never have done.

A few years after their League and European Cup wins they were relegated.

In the late '60s they were in Division Three.

If you use history as a measure when is the cut off point?

Prolonged success or competitiveness are one thing (viz: Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal) but a couple of short bursts in the last 60 years doesn't, for me, make a club a great club.

Trouble is the word great gets used far too freely these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
8.5/10. Beginning of the season we were again favourites to be relegated. We were never in the bottom three and spent most of the season in the top ten. We tailed off again at the end of the season when a top 7 place was within reach, but at least this season we had the excuse of the FA Cup run. It was a shame, but a privilege, that we ran into one of the best sides seen in the Premier League. Results that stood out...win v Spurs, 5 against Cardiff, 3pts against Marco and Brendan, and obviously the comeback in the semi.

It’s clear than for next season we need far better centre halves. Mariappa is a club great, but was never good enough for Premier league and Cathcart hasn’t been great either. We need to move on Success and maybe Gray and get two strikers in. Plus replacements as I see Deulofeu, Doucoure and maybe Pereyra going.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
6.5/10 for Leicester - a real mixed bag this season. Summed up over the Christmas break when we beat Man City 2-1 at home, and in the next home match lost to Cardiff.

It was tedious watching them under Puel and there is definitely an air of optimism since Brendan Rodgers took over. Of course, everything was overshadowed by the crash that took the life of Vichai the owner and four others. I guess that he was the most popular owner in the league and his death hit the team and the city hard. We are in good hands, however, whilst his son Top remains involved.

Like most Leicester fans I am looking forward to the future, but the main thing will be whether the team will stay together over the Summer. Maguire, Chillwell, Ndidi, Ricardo Perriera and Maddison could all attract interest from bigger clubs. If the team stays together then we have possibly the best young squad in the league with the likes of Harvey Barnes and Hamza Chaudrey coming through and others in the England U21 set up. It will be a big ask to break into the top six, buts its not impossible. Of couse, signing Tielemens on a permanent deal would be a major coup.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
christmas time it would of been 5/10. but we found something else, something money cannot buy and massively kicked on. got to say i have loved this season. but its a 8.5-9/10. with the obvious disappointment of the champs league making sure its not 10/10. i suppose it just shows how far we have come to win four bits of silverware and its not a 10/10.

D

Deleted member 18588

Aside from Liverpool and City going toe to toe in the PL I definitely think Watford were the team of the season. Of course we have seen in the past that a good season can be followed by a poor one afterwards and if you lose the players mentioned, who do you want in their place and do you think the Europa league will be a hinderence

Do you mean watching Wolves ?

I didn't realise Watford were such big supporters of the Molineux Mob.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For me, it's a 5. Unambitious owners, board, and manager, leads to complacent performances. Zero strategy in the market, no direction, no recognisable shape, formation, tactics. Massive wage budget wasted on mediocre rubbish. Plenty of cash, just squandered.

Not sure next year is going to be any different. Just going backwards through conservatism. (Small C).

Depressing.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
christmas time it would of been 5/10. but we found something else, something money cannot buy and massively kicked on. got to say i have loved this season. but its a 8.5-9/10. with the obvious disappointment of the champs league making sure its not 10/10. i suppose it just shows how far we have come to win four bits of silverware and its not a 10/10.

Come on Tash lad. It's 9.9/10. Remember the THIRD Division? You wanna go there again? Nope? So it's 9.9 out of 10. It's an amazing season. And an amazing team.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Come on Tash lad. It's 9.9/10. Remember the THIRD Division? You wanna go there again? Nope? So it's 9.9 out of 10. It's an amazing season. And an amazing team.

It's been an odd year CF, I remember tipping Liverpool for the title. I honestly thought it was there year. We just seemed to have a real bad patch. It's testament how good a year it is winning the treble, but we had some real luck in the cup draws and re the Swansea game, not having VAR helped us massively. There's no two ways about that. But the Champs league still is the holy grail for City. Not getting that knocks one point Off for me. But if we had won th champs league 10/10 😁

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's been an odd year CF, I remember tipping Liverpool for the title. I honestly thought it was there year. We just seemed to have a real bad patch. It's testament how good a year it is winning the treble, but we had some real luck in the cup draws and re the Swansea game, not having VAR helped us massively. There's no two ways about that. But the Champs league still is the holy grail for City. Not getting that knocks one point Off for me. But if we had won th champs league 10/10 😁

Surely if you include the women's trophies, the youth team exploits, Mary Dees over 55's Pool league and bobsleigh cup winners it'll be a 10/10?

Still nothing on Chelsea though. :p

Tashyboy

Visit site
Surely if you include the women's trophies, the youth team exploits, Mary Dees over 55's Pool league and bobsleigh cup winners it'll be a 10/10?

Still nothing on Chelsea though. :p

Can't count Mary Dee's over 55's. Played a few ringers. 😂😂

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
surprised there have been no Arsenal ratings thus far.

I'd be fairly harsh and say 6/10.
After a tough start with City and Chelsea in the 1st 2 games, they settled well and seemed to be putting a great run together, with top 4 looking realistic.

Have done well to get to the Europa League final, and certainly coped well with the 2 legged ties, putting in some great performances in both legs v Napoli and Valencia. Ultimately it won't matter if they don't win it next week.

League form has fallen off a cliff in final 5 or 6 games, perhaps not helped by the number of fixtures, but should have secured top 4 in via the league.

Difficult to know where they go from there. Certainly need a centre-back, possibly 2 in the summer.
Xhaka continues to be a mystery - as to why we spent £35 million on him and why Emery signed him up to a long term deal as soon as he was in the door. That aside there is certainly a Ramsey shaped hole in the squad, and a box to box midfielder / attacking midfielder must be a key priority.

Ozil wages could surely be deployed better, but could be tricky to move him on.

Struggling in the wide areas as well, with Iwobi and Mkitharian not being good enough for long parts of the season.

So probably need a 2nd keeper, quality centre back, attacking midfielder and 1 or 2 wide players.

Have a feeling some of this will be filled with youngsters.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
see post 49.

Wasn't clear that was about Arsenal. Unless you were just making a catch all report card for everyone that isn't Man City or Liverpool.

In fairness to Wenger, he had a good final few windows - getting Lacazette and Aubameyang in. And getting some kind of return for the likes of the Ox, Giroud, Walcott, Sanchez.

There is the nucleus of a good side there and with the right arrivals they could certainly finish a decent 3rd and maybe make a run in Europe again. But Liverpool and City are miles ahead of the rest and potentially both will be better next season.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wasn't clear that was about Arsenal. Unless you were just making a catch all report card for everyone that isn't Man City or Liverpool.

In fairness to Wenger, he had a good final few windows - getting Lacazette and Aubameyang in. And getting some kind of return for the likes of the Ox, Giroud, Walcott, Sanchez.

There is the nucleus of a good side there and with the right arrivals they could certainly finish a decent 3rd and maybe make a run in Europe again. But Liverpool and City are miles ahead of the rest and potentially both will be better next season.

Ok, I did not mention Arsenal by name, but I figured it would not be hard to suss, esp as any post on the footy threads reveal my club loyalties.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I think Arsenal are 7-8 top players from being anywhere near competing with Liverpool and City and can see it being a major rebuild over the next few seasons. A few youngsters have played well in Europe so they could be given a run in the PL next year but I can't see who they'll get, especially if they miss out on CL football. I think a top 4 next year would be a major achievement with their current squad

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Arsenal are 7-8 top players from being anywhere near competing with Liverpool and City and can see it being a major rebuild over the next few seasons. A few youngsters have played well in Europe so they could be given a run in the PL next year but I can't see who they'll get, especially if they miss out on CL football. I think a top 4 next year would be a major achievement with their current squad

With the current squad - yes. It's not deep enough and lacking quality in a few areas.

And CL has it's own issues in terms of then needing to manage what players we do have. The last few seasons they have basically used the 'B' team to get through the early stages of the EL.

CL qualification means they need 3 to 5 quality players, better than what we have.
If they don't get CL, then 2 or 3.

I think top 4 will be fairly achievable.