Football - End of season report for your team

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fulham 2/10 - panicked when results weren't coming by sacking Jocanovic and getting Ranieri in who imo was as bad if not worse. No idea why they brought so many players into a reasonable squad already and unbalanced the whole thing. We needed perhaps 5 players in a few positions and it would have let Jocanovic carry on with the nucleus from last year which considering how it played out would have been good enough to compete in that bottom 8 team mini league

Not inspired by the Parker appointment and can see a load of players going and not much quality coming in. I can see a good few seasons in the championship before we compete again for automatic or play off promotion and don't feel inspired Parker is good enough. That performance on Sunday was inexcusable

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brighton, 5/10 for staying in the top flight but they have sacked the manager because of only 11 pts from the last 18 games .
be interesting to see who comesin now and if they can keep the Seagulls flying high.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hearts....…..first 10 games played like Ajax and led the league.
Last 10 games played like Accrington Stanley to finished a poor 6th.
Cup final to worry about in a couple of weeks v Celtic.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Newcastle - 7/10
13th(?) we finished on one more point than last season, and as predicted we relied on worse teams and managers than us in the league. I think Rafa is fighting a losing battle, but will continue to be a difficult team to beat, which is pretty dull to be honest. We are awful to watch against teams of similar quality, and very rarely leave our half in games against bigger teams. But he’s doing the job required with what he has available.
Same as this season and the one before we will circle off the key months (likely jan/feb/March) which will make or break our season next year and we’ll push on for 40 pts. Same old same old.
(Provided Rafa stays of course)

simonm8

Visit site
West Ham

7/10

Very poor start to MPs reign with 4 defeats on the bounce but managed to get some very important wins after that.
Disappointing in the cups (again)
two very ill - timed injurys cost us deeply.. nothing to do with wilshere as we knew he was a liability when we signed him so no complaints but October in the defeat to spurs we lost yarmelenko (sp) for the rest of the season and then in january we lost Balbuena for a good 6 weeks which really hindered us.. Diop has been brilliant but is young.. balbuena really helps him.

Carroll is out of contract in the summer so his wages finally go off the books (feel for him. cant be nice to be always injured)
we need a few well picked signings to help add to the players we brought in last summer

lets aim for top 8 next season.. we were that far off in end (2 points plus GD) so got to be the aim
personally id take top half and a decent cup run.. league cup is so underrated.. lets go for that!

I agree yet again West Ham have had to many injuries at wrong time.. Lanzini out for ages, Reid not played at all..

Think our main aim is to hold onto Rice, which I think is going to be hard..

I also think, Hernandez & Perez could go before the new season.. And also the like of carroll, Nasri will be gone if don't get new contracts

Arnie needs to step up his game, went quite for to long after January...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
West Ham

7/10

Very poor start to MPs reign with 4 defeats on the bounce but managed to get some very important wins after that.
Disappointing in the cups (again)
two very ill - timed injurys cost us deeply.. nothing to do with wilshere as we knew he was a liability when we signed him so no complaints but October in the defeat to spurs we lost yarmelenko (sp) for the rest of the season and then in january we lost Balbuena for a good 6 weeks which really hindered us.. Diop has been brilliant but is young.. balbuena really helps him.

Carroll is out of contract in the summer so his wages finally go off the books (feel for him. cant be nice to be always injured)
we need a few well picked signings to help add to the players we brought in last summer

lets aim for top 8 next season.. we were that far off in end (2 points plus GD) so got to be the aim
personally id take top half and a decent cup run.. league cup is so underrated.. lets go for that!

As a 'follower' rather than a 'fan', I'd rate them slightly above that - say, 7.5-8.

For some time, they are going to below the 'top 6', so finish position reflects this and some of the injuries that have cost them dearly. I'm impressed with Pelligrini, having been a little surprised at his appointment! The team/fans seem to have got used to the stadium now and home games seem to have the normal advantage. They've made a profit for the last 2 years and I expect they will this year too - certainly helped by the £21.1M for 10th place. Still in debt, but reducing. So a slightly larger squad so that the inevitable injuries aren't as crippling. Ambivalent about Carroll! Not seen much of him this year, but he seemed to make the the play too predictable in Big Sam teams!

My biggest fear is that Sullivan and Gold will 'restrict investment' or actually extract sizeable chunks of the cash they put in to buy the club! But the deals they have been able to negotiate so far demonstrate their business acumen!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a 'follower' rather than a 'fan', I'd rate them slightly above that - say, 7.5-8.

For some time, they are going to below the 'top 6', so finish position reflects this and some of the injuries that have cost them dearly. I'm impressed with Pelligrini, having been a little surprised at his appointment! The team/fans seem to have got used to the stadium now and home games seem to have the normal advantage. They've made a profit for the last 2 years and I expect they will this year too - certainly helped by the £21.1M for 10th place. Still in debt, but reducing. So a slightly larger squad so that the inevitable injuries aren't as crippling. Ambivalent about Carroll! Not seen much of him this year, but he seemed to make the the play too predictable in Big Sam teams!

My biggest fear is that Sullivan and Gold will 'restrict investment' or actually extract sizeable chunks of the cash they put in to buy the club! But the deals they have been able to negotiate so far demonstrate their business acumen!

Reason for my low rating was the lull in between and the constant injury’s

Years of under investment coming back to haunt , I mean we finished 10th but had so many chances to do better. Every time we were in touching distance of 10th we decided to self implode

Everton tore us apart, 4-0 at our place. We had come off the back of a solid defensive display yet managed to look like our defenders had never spoke to each other before

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glipton Grasshoppers: (aka Jossy’s Giants) 4/10. Not a bad season in the now revamped Pennines Premier League Division 3 but a far cry from the glory days of the late 80’s. Players are getting a bit old and Jossy’s been short of new ideas for the past decade. Need some new blood in the team. Decent run in the cup though. Almost had to merge with Real Glipton at one point in the season until Jossy sold his Audi Quattro to raise a few quid.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Danny Ings started well didn't he, did he then get injured as usual or did his form just drop off a cliff? I know he was only on loan but I can't see him getting much time back at Liverpool.
Yeah he's had injury issues. If fit he could be the right man but I feel he needs more support. Austin firing on all cylinders up front with him would be a good combo.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah he's had injury issues. If fit he could be the right man but I feel he needs more support. Austin firing on all cylinders up front with him would be a good combo.
Is the history of Ings and Austin not full of injuries? In that case you have to accept they come together and you wont get a full season out of them. Same with Carroll and Wilshere at West Ham, plenty of others but those are two good examples. It is a shame as Ings and Austin fit could work really well and would keep Southampton mid table.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Is the history of Ings and Austin not full of injuries? In that case you have to accept they come together and you wont get a full season out of them. Same with Carroll and Wilshere at West Ham, plenty of others but those are two good examples. It is a shame as Ings and Austin fit could work really well and would keep Southampton mid table.
Ironically Austin has had less injuries this year. He’s simply not been any good.

I think Ings is a slightly better finisher than Long, but imo neither are good enough as a main striker. They both run their socks off and bring that to the team but a focal point is needed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Reason for my low rating was the lull in between and the constant injury’s

Years of under investment coming back to haunt , I mean we finished 10th but had so many chances to do better. Every time we were in touching distance of 10th we decided to self implode

Everton tore us apart, 4-0 at our place. We had come off the back of a solid defensive display yet managed to look like our defenders had never spoke to each other before
Injuries happen with all teams. Hammers have been more susceptable for quite a while, simply because they (quite rightly imo) haven't been allowed to spend excessively. 10th was actually my 'target/wish' though I didn't think they'd achieve it - and they only did that getting somewhat lucky with last day opponents.
8th is 'my' target for next year. I don't particularly look at individual matches, though obviously prefer 'good' results.

Btw Wasn't it Hammers 0 Everton 2?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Injuries happen with all teams. Hammers have been more susceptable for quite a while, simply because they (quite rightly imo) haven't been allowed to spend excessively. 10th was actually my 'target/wish' though I didn't think they'd achieve it - and they only did that getting somewhat lucky with last day opponents.
8th is 'my' target for next year. I don't particularly look at individual matches, though obviously prefer 'good' results.

Btw Wasn't it Hammers 0 Everton 2?

sorry your correct. I think off top of my head I just put 4 because it SHOULD have been 0-4.. they took us apart! if it wasn't for fabainski in goal would have been 4 for sure

Carroll and wilshere yes but its the other injurys that annoy me.

Yarmelko out after the spurs game in October (remember it well my sisters wedding, my spurs cousin said about a bad injury I was like great just what we need) out for the rest of the season
lanzini.. called up for argie... injured for 9 months was it?
reid basically missed the entire campaign (he used to be a warrior but past 2 seasons pure injuries)
Balbuena injured for 6 weeks (our 6 week poor in the middle ill add)
Sanchez brought in as a cheap cover in midfield.. missed most of the season injured

ogbonna last season or season before was asked to delay knee surgery until the summer (from Jan) because we had no defensive cover.. he looked so poor in that time but since surgery has been better

my fav is we thought hiring arsenals head of sport science was a great idea.. yeah because they haven't had injury issues!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
my fav is we thought hiring arsenals head of sport science was a great idea.. yeah because they haven't had injury issues!

You do wonder about due diligence. It should be part of the process when looking at a player. Then when you have them, tailor training so that you keep them fit.

I had to laugh at the part of your quote I left there. Has there been a worse club for player injuries over the last 10-15 yrs than Arsenal?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Also my memory is rubbish on this because looking back we didn't come off a good defensive display

we won 4-3 against huddersfield when we defended awful.. and before that lost to Cardiff

got my wires crossed... we beat fulham.. lost only 1-0 to city.. beat Newcastle.. lost Cardiff then beat huddersfield but the last 20 mins of that game we looked fantastic and very positive going forward was hoping we could challenge everton

nope back down to earth

lost to Chelsea after
then lost to UTD when 1 dodgy pen against us and a goal wrongly disallowed for offside for us.. that was annoying
same at Leicester wrongly disallowed when 2-1 up should have been 3-1
finished strongly with 3 wins

You do wonder about due diligence. It should be part of the process when looking at a player. Then when you have them, tailor training so that you keep them fit.

I had to laugh at the part of your quote I left there. Has there been a worse club for player injuries over the last 10-15 yrs than Arsenal?

I think we have tried that with wilshere.. we have taken a risk.. we know he wont be fit a lot of the time but like MP said.. if he was fit he would be at a top top team.. so when he is fit he will make us a better team

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think we have tried that with wilshere.. we have taken a risk.. we know he wont be fit a lot of the time but like MP said.. if he was fit he would be at a top top team.. so when he is fit he will make us a better team
I don't agree. I think he's been injured for too many of his development years, now it's too late and he has no chance of reaching the potential he has. Ability wise I think he's on a par with Jonjo Shelvey. I suppose he only needs to be better than Mark Noble to improve you though, that shouldn't be too difficult.

U

User62651

Will be good to hear a Leeds fan now. 2-0 up and then.........what the hell?????

Get your money on The Villa for the final.

Hope so, be great to see Villa back up, great club, 3 years out of top flight is long enough.
Makings of a decent side with some good watchable individuals in Grealish, McGinn, Abraham etc. Never head of their manager but I guess he's doing ok.
Just need Wednesday, Leeds, West Brom back up too, get rid of Bournemouth and Burnley etc - small clubs living off the EPL tv cash, not gate takes.

D

Deleted member 18588

Hope so, be great to see Villa back up, great club, 3 years out of top flight is long enough.
Makings of a decent side with some good watchable individuals in Grealish, McGinn, Abraham etc. Never head of their manager but I guess he's doing ok.
Just need Wednesday, Leeds, West Brom back up too, get rid of Bournemouth and Burnley etc - small clubs living off the EPL tv cash, not gate takes.

No club in the EPL, including the top six, could maintain their current spending from gate and commercial receipts and that has been the case for over 20 years.

Also I appreciate that I am biased but in what way are they a great club. Haven't looked like winning anything for many years.