Flags Out????

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've become so used to having the flag in that it will feel strange to be taking it out again.
I actually prefer the flag in, as I've said before.
I aim to hit the middle of the pin, I feel it tightens my aim focus.
It wouldn't worry me if they say to leave the flags in all the time.

Bunker rakes are more of a priority
We play the preferred lies rule in bunkers and some of us have personal rakes as described above.
Many don't
Many try to smooth the bunker with a club or their foot - they might as well not bother.
Many don't bother to do anything.
There have been occasions where there have been so many footprints and gouges in the sand that the oly place you can prefer a lie is on the summit of a sand dune with about 6 inches of sand under your ball....
Get the rakes out!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't know why the don't just allow one designated "flag remover" per group.
Issue him with a pair of pliers or something to remove it, so that he doesn't physically touch it.
That would make a lot more sense and resolve any arguments etc.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ten days ago I went for my second jab of Pfizer. Some elderly people had a younger relative with them who was not receiving a jab. I saw nobody wiping or cleaning chairs or door handles. My club has set up outdoor seating for food and drinks. Again, I saw nobody wiping or cleaning the chairs. I think it is time to give the surfaces issue some serious thought in order to have a consistent policy. Flagsticks and rakes are only a tiny part of this issue, but we need to be consistent with regard to the perceived "dangerousness" of all surfaces. If we are all touching door handles, chairs, artificial tee surfaces etc with little or no regard, there there is little point continuing with the current policy of flagsticks and rakes, in my view.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Or you could just get on with it - hardly stops you playing golf

it doesn’t you are quite right, but bunkers are hazards and should be played as it lies as a penalty. As it stands with pick and place in play with hardly anyone making effort to even smooth prints over they may as well be GUR.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ten days ago I went for my second jab of Pfizer. Some elderly people had a younger relative with them who was not receiving a jab. I saw nobody wiping or cleaning chairs or door handles. My club has set up outdoor seating for food and drinks. Again, I saw nobody wiping or cleaning the chairs. I think it is time to give the surfaces issue some serious thought in order to have a consistent policy. Flagsticks and rakes are only a tiny part of this issue, but we need to be consistent with regard to the perceived "dangerousness" of all surfaces. If we are all touching door handles, chairs, artificial tee surfaces etc with little or no regard, there there is little point continuing with the current policy of flagsticks and rakes, in my view.

I went for my 2nd jab a couple of weeks back at a mass vaccination centre and every seat was being sanitized as soon as they were vacated, but I do agree that flagsticks and rakes are almost certainly not going to transmit Covid

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The extra challenges of putting with the flag in has just made players adapt the skills needed.

If you had a slick downhill 4 footer (with the flag out), it’d be foolish to smash it in. Dropping the ball in the front lip is a skill of controlling pace - practice it rather than blame the flag for keeping it out.

Having said that, the flag will be coming out as soon as permitted ?

D-S

Visit site
Amazon do a rake head that clips in your grip, clubs could make these mandatory and sort that problem
These are mandatory at our Club and visitors must have one per 4 ball. They have worked well with some members wanting us to continue with them and not put the rakes back out. At least it means that we have been playing the ball in bunkers as it lies and it won’t be a shock when things return to normal - when playing at away courses last year we found how advantageous placing in bunkers is.

Ridgeman

Visit site
All chairs and indeed table surfaces are sanitised after each and every patient. If there is a relative with them who sits then their chair is done as well. You may not have seen it but it happens.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
TBH , leaving the pin in or out doesn't really bother me, but not having rakes available to use in or near bunkers is really annoying.
Buy your own rake? A long time ago someone posted a photo of a "clip on" rake to go over a club handle. Bought one. Any bunker I've been in since is neat as neat can be.

Edit: I'm posting too late I see.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know why the don't just allow one designated "flag remover" per group.
Issue him with a pair of pliers or something to remove it, so that he doesn't physically touch it.
That would make a lot more sense and resolve any arguments etc.
It would work - but just imagine the faffing around if some want flag in and some want flag out...and only one of the group can do the inning and outing...?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Bunkers are supposed to be a hazard. I'd say we should play it as it lies, even without rakes.

Smooth the sand with your feet, job done.