Flags Out????

Mandofred

Visit site
Just for the record...I am actually from England and if you watch Sky Sports Racing tonight when they cover Turf Paradise, you can hear my English tones commentate on the races! I have never shouted "mashed potato!"
Doesn't mean you are sane...... although, at least it's not the BBC:)....

I could've sworn you were a Trump republican fanatic........Just for my own interest, are you now a US citizen?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Being an aggressive putter, I've had several bounce outs - don't mind the flag being in from distance but 10ft and under it has to be out for me!!
I think you answered your own point there. The putts are likely to be too firm to drop and you are using the flag in as an excuse (unless you have wide flag poles in which case ask your club to use thinner ones).

In the past year, I’ve only seen one putt bounce out that may have gone in. I’ve seen a few that hit the flag at pace and drop in.

I’ve seen people moan when the ball hasn’t dropped when it wouldn’t have due to the pace of the putt.

Mandofred

Visit site
I think you answered your own point there. The putts are likely to be too firm to drop and you are using the flag in as an excuse (unless you have wide flag poles in which case ask your club to use thinner ones).

In the past year, I’ve only seen one putt bounce out that may have gone in. I’ve seen a few that hit the flag at pace and drop in.

I’ve seen people moan when the ball hasn’t dropped when it wouldn’t have due to the pace of the putt.
Exactly......I've lost a few putts because of whacking the flag pretty hard......maybe one or two that I thought might have dropped if the flag wasn't there. Most of the misses are because I hit them too hard.....my fault. It's up to me to adjust to the conditions.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

I admire your confidence when telling people who you have almost certainly never seen play golf where they are going wrong.

Since the return I have had three or four putts hit the flag and not drop. Were they too firm? Probably otherwise they would have dropped. Would they have dropped if the flag had not been in? Absolutely. I have spent years ramming short putts into the back of the hole, taking out the break while I do so. I look forward to ramming them into the back of the cup once again in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Boomy

Visit site
TBH , leaving the pin in or out doesn't really bother me, but not having rakes available to use in or near bunkers is really annoying.

I agree with this - personally I think all bunkers should be GUR until its deemed safe to use rakes.

Boomy

Visit site
I think :confused: that might make every comp non qualifying. :cry:

Surely they could use a local ruling under these exceptional circumstances ? Every bunker I’ve been in has been a right old mess! I love a bunker shot usually... but not out off a bunker which hasn’t been raked (or even attempted to be tidied up) ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely they could use a local ruling under these exceptional circumstances ? Every bunker I’ve been in has been a right old mess! I love a bunker shot usually... but not out off a bunker which hasn’t been raked (or even attempted to be tidied up) ?
The experts will be along shortly (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Primarily because we are one of the most transient states in the nation. And to shut down the economy of the state would have led to severe economic hardship for many people. What is for certain is there absolutely no evidence COVID-19 was passed to others from briefly touching a golf flag.
No...but we did not know that at the outset and so as far as touching any hard surface it was deemed worthwhile getting the mindset established across all contexts that we try to avoid touching anything others may have touched as one element of minimising risk of picking up and hence spreading the virus.

Most of our fight against the virus - especially prior to vaccines becoming available - was around everyone developing new habits applicable in all contexts to limit spread of the virus. Indeed even now that we have vaccines that in itself does not change how the virus is transmitted...the habits we have developed remain valid and appropriate.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you suggesting British people are not well educated enough to decide for themselves but need the Government to do it for them? We were the third worse state primarily because we are a state with a huge transitory population. Not because a very small percentage of the population were briefly touching golf flags.
Further, the fight against the virus requires population level measures and leaving things up to the individual to make decisions for themselves in isolation of those in their community just does not work as equivalent to a population level response.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not before 12th June.

Im with you, I hated the rule change but at least I could work around it.

Still - if its saved a single life its got to be worth it.

Rakes in bunkers are hopefully in the same boat...

Amazon do a rake head that clips in your grip, clubs could make these mandatory and sort that problem

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No...but we did not know that at the outset and so as far as touching any hard surface it was deemed worthwhile getting the mindset established across all contexts that we try to avoid touching anything others may have touched as one element of minimising risk of picking up and hence spreading the virus.

Most of our fight against the virus - especially prior to vaccines becoming available - was around everyone developing new habits applicable in all contexts to limit spread of the virus. Indeed even now that we have vaccines that in itself does not change how the virus is transmitted...the habits we have developed remain valid and appropriate.

Habits are important, but likewise the science moved on from the start of the pandemic to show transmission from surfaces is negligible as well as the presence of vaccine now so I think it's reasonable to ask which Covid measures need to be kept (e.g. distancing) and those that can be relaxed further. Just the same as any other part of easing lockdown.

Saying that I don't really care either way on flag or rake given how often it actually impacts but the comments (not yours) seem to be a bit harsh about the US.

D

Deleted member 15344

The one thing I find strange is that EG have said that PSI’s can now be used but you can’t touch flags?‍♂️

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having only played one round with them in, I have to admit I quite liked not having to worry about the additional amounts of small faff that comes along with managing the flags being out. Had one of my best days putting too. :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you not prefer them out at close range? If I’m far enough away to needed it tended it stays in, however pre covid if I was close enough to believe it was sinkable I had it out. That saved the faffing.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
Must admit, I’m looking forward to being able to take the flag out again.

One of the courses I play regularly, the wind can make a big difference to the impact having the flag in can have. Straight into it and it’s going to bounce off virtually every time, it reduces the acceptable variance of pace to be able to hole it at the very least.