Flags Out????

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
?? too obvious

The mystery is easily solved

Because the games governing bodies have decided upon a set of rules to allow the game to restart up during Covid restrictions and all clubs must follow those rules or face sanctions of closure or fines .
People are more than happy to continue to follow the restrictions to ensure we do our bit to combat this virus.

Flags will not be “left in forever”

Sanctions, closures or fines from who? People should not give up that kind of power.

Mandofred

Visit site
Tour pros and their caddies are tested for covid and self isolate before matches. Flagsticks are sanitised daily before games. Unfortunately we don't have that privilege on our courses.
Wasn't a Covid type statement.....more of a flag out statement......

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems there are two “arguments” going on

1. The reason why the flags are currently left in - Covid restrictions and the conditions that governing bodies have stated we must currently follow

2. The age old debate about whether you hole more with the flag in or out - there is no conclusive proof either way over any consistent time period , there is also no proof it helps the pace of play -

So when we are allowed to touch the flags etc then we will all go back to how we personally want the flag - out , in , tended etc and no one will be right and no one will be wrong

D

Deleted member 15344

Sanctions, closures or fines from who? People should not give up that kind of power.

Local councils have fined golf clubs for ignoring Covid restrictions that have been put in place over the past 12 months. Your human rights etc etc have not been removed because of any pandemic restrictions and maybe your populations poor attitude to the pandemic is the reason why your country has the highest amount of cases and also deaths. Maybe if you treated it more seriously you wouldn’t have lost over 500k to Covid

Mandofred

Visit site
Local councils have fined golf clubs for ignoring Covid restrictions that have been put in place over the past 12 months. Your human rights etc etc have not been removed because of any pandemic restrictions and maybe your populations poor attitude to the pandemic is the reason why your country has the highest amount of cases and also deaths. Maybe if you treated it more seriously you wouldn’t have lost over 500k to Covid
You should be ashamed of yourself......for stating the obvious.....;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Including the flagstick rule?

Does it matter ? Golf clubs just like any other establishments and sporting venues are to abide by the restrictions laid out by the governing bodies - it doesn’t matter how small those restrictions are but they are expected to be followed - that includes flags , rakes etc - we were visited by police as was another club during the first week.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone playing QF's at the mo? No? Do what you want then. My mate did a great putt today that if no flag would have gone in. It didn't. He was a tad annoyed, it was for par, and he don't get many. I just said, "you can have that you're caddie would have removed the flag and it would have dropped". Chuffed he was. S'easy.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you suggesting British people are not well educated enough to decide for themselves but need the Government to do it for them? We were the third worse state primarily because we are a state with a huge transitory population. Not because a very small percentage of the population were briefly touching golf flags.

No, I am suggesting that people in the UK generally follow rules of civilised society. Have you any evidence that your state's performance era down to a large migratory population, presumably people, also possibly birds? In the US, it seems that Covid behaves differently in Texas or Florida than New Jersey or California, with wildly different rules for each. That makes no sense.

Touching golf flags is an interesting example of a one population practice to avoid unnecessary contact with fomites, of which there are others. I agree that avoiding touching golf flags is, by itself, not as big an impact on Covid as vaccination or good ICU provision.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm.....not sure where I stated "I only wanted to point out that your apparent assumption that leaving the flag reduces the chance of the ball dropping wasn't completely correct".......I've always been a leave the flag in supporter. I'm fine with the flag in, always have been. Just deal with it being in....hit the ball a little easier.....
Do you have short term memory loss or multiple personalities?

"Ifffffff, the flag HAD to be left in forever. How much bigger would the hole have to be to allow the same chance of the ball going in the hole? 1/2 inch....1 inch"

Mandofred

Visit site
Do you have short term memory loss or multiple personalities?

"Ifffffff, the flag HAD to be left in forever. How much bigger would the hole have to be to allow the same chance of the ball going in the hole? 1/2 inch....1 inch"
Now.... put into context of the post. Just wondering while walking for a couple of hours...for all those people who claim their lives are destroyed because of the flag....

I guess you could get a little more negative....but not much.

Pssst....I'd still like the flag left in.... with a slightly bigger hole. So yeah.....I'm nuts.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now.... put into context of the post. Just wondering while walking for a couple of hours...for all those people who claim their lives are destroyed because of the flag....

I guess you could get a little more negative....but not much.

Pssst....I'd still like the flag left in.... with a slightly bigger hole. So yeah.....I'm nuts.
Your posts are often confusing and hard to understand.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
There is something about the UK mindset that seems to love giving up the majority of its rights when the Government says to do so. Just tell them: "We are not shutting our course. It is a private business. People are educated and informed enough to make their own decisions." The lack of trust UK Governments in its population, and UK management has in its workforce when I lived in the UK, with all their red tape and "never question a supervisor or an order" mentality was one of my biggest motivating factors to leave. Sad to see twenty years later, the same mentality still prevails.
But that mentality has seen us return to some normality much sooner than other countries, so there must be something working!

Boomy

Visit site
I don’t know about you but I’m not following any COVID advice from an American chap who 1. Lives in the one of the worst affected countries in the world 2. The 3rd worst hit state in America and 3. Who’s fellow countrymen (and women) think it’s normal to shout “mashed potato” whilst spectating golf (as well as “in the hole” on a 500 yard tee shot ?)

Last edited:

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t about you but I’m not following any COVID advice from an American chap who 1. Lives in the one of the worst affected countries in the world 2. The 3rd worst hit state in America and 3. Who’s fellow countrymen (and women) think it’s normal to shout “mashed potato” whilst spectating golf (as well as “in the hole” on a 500 yard tee shot ?)

Just for the record...I am actually from England and if you watch Sky Sports Racing tonight when they cover Turf Paradise, you can hear my English tones commentate on the races! I have never shouted "mashed potato!"