Flags Out????

D-S

Visit site
We have the thin pins, yesterday I played in an open competition at a local club that had relatively thick pins and high raised Astro turf fillers in the hole. Putts didn’t drop they just wedged between the flag and the lip. It was very windy too. We had two or three bounce outs, a real pain. They need to make thin pins mandatory or at least some sort of restriction on diameter of pins.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have the thin pins, yesterday I played in an open competition at a local club that had relatively thick pins and high raised Astro turf fillers in the hole. Putts didn’t drop they just wedged between the flag and the lip. It was very windy too. We had two or three bounce outs, a real pain. They need to make thin pins mandatory or at least some sort of restriction on diameter of pins.

they do....

The Flagstick
Requirements:
  1. The Pole
    1. Must be circular in cross-section.
    2. Must have a diameter of no greater than 2 inches (50.8 mm) from the top of the pole to a point no less than 3 inches (76.2 mm) above the putting green surface.
    3. Must have a constant diameter of no greater than 0.75 inches (19 mm) from a point 3 inches (76.2 mm) above to 3 inches (76.2 mm) below the putting green surface.
    4. Must not incorporate features, including its material composition, designed to act in a shock absorbing manner or have shock absorbing properties upon impact with the ball.

D-S

Visit site
they do....

The Flagstick
Requirements:
  1. The Pole
    1. Must be circular in cross-section.
    2. Must have a diameter of no greater than 2 inches (50.8 mm) from the top of the pole to a point no less than 3 inches (76.2 mm) above the putting green surface.
    3. Must have a constant diameter of no greater than 0.75 inches (19 mm) from a point 3 inches (76.2 mm) above to 3 inches (76.2 mm) below the putting green surface.
    4. Must not incorporate features, including its material composition, designed to act in a shock absorbing manner or have shock absorbing properties upon impact with the ball.
It would be interesting to have the ‘lifter’ devices measured to see if they conform, if they do then they need to reduce the diameter limit.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd wondered that. We have these lifting devices and new etiquette has evolved.

When you hole out you rotate the device so the vertical bar is on the far side of the pin for the next player!

Funny times....
Snap, the courtesy has developed that another player will always go to the flag and spin the lever to hide the bar without the player putting having to ask. Means the device has in 99.9% of times abs no impact on the putt. note that as spinning the lever requires a player going to the flag it takes just the same time as if he were attending it.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Great unless you are trying to hole it on the high side. Which is now blocked.

Having only played one course with the silly lifters, it was a royal pain in the back side.

One of the guys playing with us moved it to where he thought was best, but it took the old fella ages and was often not in a suitable position once he'd finished.

We'll not mention him standing all over everyone else's line whilst he was at it.

Just leave it and I'll move it myself if I feel the need.

D-S

Visit site
The simplest solution I’ve seen so far. It looks better, the insert to stop the ball falling all the way to the bottom isn’t intrusive and when we go back to full depth holes it is far easier to get the ball out reducing damage to the hole edges that had become a problem.

Attachments

• 61E3E6C6-31EE-4A54-B27D-56BDBDE5EAA8.jpeg
    61E3E6C6-31EE-4A54-B27D-56BDBDE5EAA8.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 16

stueyginger

Visit site
Was wondering if any courses have now adopted taking the flags out - I'm aware a few courses near me have but my home course still has them in.

Apparently the SGA 'guidance'...guidance being the key word is to leave them in.

Get them out I've had enough, it's just not the same with short putts!!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Great unless you are trying to hole it on the high side. Which is now blocked.

Having only played one course with the silly lifters, it was a royal pain in the back side.

One of the guys playing with us moved it to where he thought was best, but it took the old fella ages and was often not in a suitable position once he'd finished.

We'll not mention him standing all over everyone else's line whilst he was at it.

Just leave it and I'll move it myself if I feel the need.

Same, Kirrie couple weeks back, ended up with guys handling the lifter because it wouldn't spin properly. Took longer than tending the pin, and totally defeated the covid measures it was introduced for.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Same, Kirrie couple weeks back, ended up with guys handling the lifter because it wouldn't spin properly. Took longer than tending the pin, and totally defeated the covid measures it was introduced for.
The lifters are a total waste of time - it's not hard to pick a ball out of hole

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Our place is going for flags out if you want and rakes in bunkers from tomorrow - Their email says 'The Scottish Golf guidance is intended as guidance and is not legal advice'.

Also says there's no compulsion to use rakes or remove flags on anyone - if you want to continue to place within six inches in a bunker you can.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our place is going for flags out if you want and rakes in bunkers from tomorrow - Their email says 'The Scottish Golf guidance is intended as guidance and is not legal advice'.

Also says there's no compulsion to use rakes or remove flags on anyone - if you want to continue to place within six inches in a bunker you can.

Never been legal. Doubt anyone would opt to play as it lies in a bunker when you have the option to place.

If clubs have pins like we have where the bottom is as thin as a pencil I see no reason to remove them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never been legal. Doubt anyone would opt to play as it lies in a bunker when you have the option to place.

If clubs have pins like we have where the bottom is as thin as a pencil I see no reason to remove them.
The rules give you a choice.
That’s reason enough not everyone likes them in.!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Well they shouldn't put rakes back out, preferred lies in bunkers was solely to cover the provision for covid of having rakes removed, if rakes are back, then no preferred lies. That's why your club is supposed to have done a risk assessment before making the return moves, if they think some people won't handle the rakes, then they should be out.

The funny thing about this is, all those bitching about getting rakes back sure as hell won't be using them now, because they'd lose their preferred lie

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well they shouldn't put rakes back out, preferred lies in bunkers was solely to cover the provision for covid of having rakes removed, if rakes are back, then no preferred lies. That's why your club is supposed to have done a risk assessment before making the return moves, if they think some people won't handle the rakes, then they should be out.

The funny thing about this is, all those bitching about getting rakes back sure as hell won't be using them now, because they'd lose their preferred lie
Everyone would still be entitled to a preffered lie.!
Just a choice of using the rake or not depending on your risk awareness.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Risk awareness, or risk perception? :)

Our club has the "riser" things in the holes. My regular 4 ball (2 blokes in 50s and 2 in their 60s) have been using them in the prescribed way, using the putter to lift up the handle to remove the ball.

Played last night with 2 chaps, late 20s/early 30s. Completely ignored the levers, just picked the ball from the hole.

Which is sensible? I frankly have no idea! Safe to put the rakes back out and remove the flag? Nope, no idea either. Weird world we live in!