Flags Out????

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Just imagine. If we can resolve this issue here, we could easily create world peace and be a shoe in for a Nobel prize.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
First comp of the season today and another one that didn't go in because of the flag. And for the too firm brigade this one was toppling in at 9 o'clock, in the side door, so no pace and still bounced off. Flags out!!

My mate and PP had a pearler which made me laugh (inwardly). A one foot tap in that hit the flag, bounced back straight back at him and stopped a millimetre from the edge, teetering but refusing to fall. He was livid.

Last edited:

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First comp of the season today and another one that didn't go in because of the flag. And for the too firm brigade this one was toppling in at 9 o'clock, in the side door, so no pace and still bounced off. Flags out!!

My mate and PP had a pearler which made me laugh (inwardly). A one foot tap in that hit the flag, bounced back straight back at him and stopped a millimetre from the edge, teetering but refusing to fall. He was livid.

Off the pin flag or off the lifty up things.....?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Club needs to do more to source thinner pins or make sure the pins are upright.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Club needs to do more to source thinner pins or make sure the pins are upright.
Very thick lifty up thing.
We don't have a lift up device, we had foam in the base last year, cut down plastic piping this year. We don't get bounce outs unless you hit it so hard it wouldn't have dropped anyway. I've played at courses with the lift up. They are a pain and a problem. Ditch them and a good number of the grumbles would disappear.

D

Deleted Member 1156

We don't have a lift up device, we had foam in the base last year, cut down plastic piping this year. We don't get bounce outs unless you hit it so hard it wouldn't have dropped anyway. I've played at courses with the lift up. They are a pain and a problem. Ditch them and a good number of the grumbles would disappear.
So would tending the flag ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So would tending the flag ?
Ah, but we are still in an era of covid so not yet applicable :D.

The lift up device is an over engineered solution to a simple problem. Cut down a bit of plastic piping into 18 pieces, about 5cm or so long. It really is a cheap and simple, temporary ;), solution.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The lift up device is an over engineered solution to a simple problem. Cut down a bit of plastic piping into 18 pieces, about 5cm or so long. It really is a cheap and simple, temporary ;), solution.
This is a thing these days though.
Simple solutions to simple problems are dismissed for very complicated ones.
We had one of our plastic discs on the flag break so we just put sand out of a bunker in the hole to stop the ball dropping to far.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I remember reading Ross Brawn's autobiography about his time leading Ferrari. This was at the time when they were wiping the floor with the competition. He said his goal was to "make solutions are simple as the problem required them to be, not as complex as the budget allows". The flag pole lifters fail this test badly.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
This is a thing these days though.
Simple solutions to simple problems are dismissed for very complicated ones.
We had one of our plastic discs on the flag break so we just put sand out of a bunker in the hole to stop the ball dropping to far.
My mate came up with the solution of topping the hole up with sand last year. It is so simple and so obvious but having gone to the expense of purchasing lifters they will feel obliged to use them.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I thought about this thread for a moment yesterday on the course. I had hit it fairly close on a par three and two playing partners chipped on inside mine. As I walked to the hole, it would have felt so normal to take the flag out for everyone without hesitation. I doubt very much that either playing partner would have replaced the flag for their 4-footers. I am very much looking forward to removing flags by choice.