Flag flapping while you're putting.....

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played on saturday and was striking the ball pretty well although I wasn't scoring well.

It was tipified on the 8th hole when my playing partner picked the flag up off the floor just as i was making a 4ft putt for par with the flag now flapping noisely.

It could just be me looking to blame someone for my bad short game but this incident infuriated me and made me lose it for about 3 holes. :(

Needless to say I didnt have a good round and i'm now considering having a two week break from the game before my holiday.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Minty

I find it a right pain in the a**e when I am putting and someone is holding the flag and letting it flutter away while I'm trying to hole a crucial 4 footer. They must be able to hear it and it doesn't take much common sense to hold the flag still. I'm sure if you did the same to your mates while they were putting (I know you are too much of gent to resort to that!) they would soon complain

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Never understood why people don't hold the flag by the flag, rather than the pole. Just seems so blindingly obvious and zero effort.

Let rip with an enormous fart the next time he lines a putt up and see how he likes that!

DCB

Visit site
Minty,

he probably doesn't realise that the fluttering flag is causing distraction and he probably won't until it is pointed out to him. Next time show him how to lay the flagstick down with the flag rolled up, that way he won't do it again.

Stick in though don't let a wee thing like that get to you too much.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ahh, the old flapping flag trick. Closely followed by the jangle of loose change, and the dropping of golf ball, letting it roll just into view, followed by the rip of velcro as the glove is opened. Don't you just love gamesmanship?

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like he got you there mate. And why shouldn't he? If I thought a litte trick like that would win me 3 holes against you, I'd do it. Easy money. You need to get used to distractions and learn to keep your head by the sound of it. You know what Tigers dad used to do to him don't you when he was putting as a kid? And look how that turned out.
Get dirty, fight back and wipe the smurk off his face.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I've putted out and pick up the flag I always hold the flag against the pole to stop it flapping - seems the correct thing to do to me. Anything else is a bit naughty really.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well there's a few of you i wont be having a round with. Seriously though, I love the banter but only in between shots, once someone addresses the ball thats it, everyone should stay still and shut up.

With regards to the flag, i did tell him to leave it on the floor till everyones putted out in the future.... i just let it wind me up for the next few holes though which is what really got me.

As earlier stated it's probly just be moaning because i putted like a spaz. Oooops tiger got in trouble for that, hope i dont.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
yeah I agree really - people making noise on shots is out of order but you'll be able to control yourself if you practise staying calm. The flag thing is crafty as he knows its not actually him making the noise - if he was talking that would be wrong but the flag thing is a clever little one. A little gamesmanship is fine but you don't have to resort to the Bernard Hopkins route to victory (sorry split decision points defeat GET DOWN HOPKINS AAAARGH). Walking straight off after a tee shot when you've been chatting leisurely for the last couple of holes is my fave, saying good shot or unlucky when they hit a bad shot. I have plenty but I'm not a nob about it, you have to get on with people. But if it comes to the crunch and a little feather ruffling is needed.... :D

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Why shouldn't he indeed? Etiquette maybe?

There speaks a loser. Have you ever watched pro golf close up? Or cricket? Or football? Or boxing? sledging, ribbing, gamesmanship, craft - call it what you want but HRH Faldo didn't win 3 opens and 3 masters by being polite to people did he?

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Why shouldn't he indeed? Etiquette maybe?

There speaks a loser. Have you ever watched pro golf close up? Or cricket? Or football? Or boxing? sledging, ribbing, gamesmanship, craft - call it what you want but HRH Faldo didn't win 3 opens and 3 masters by being polite to people did he?
Yes he did.

Cricket, football, rugby and the rest are totally different sports.

I presume you are simply trolling?