Flag flapping while you're putting.....

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf is different, but I have a certain group of friends that like to warn you of the hazard before you tee off… “Watch out for the water”

One actually dropped his club just on my downswing on a par three too. Even cheering missed putts!

Never in a comp though…

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always hold the flag if i am tending the flag for my playing partners.

I agree on a very windy day the flag should remain on teh ground until all have putted out-I also believe teh first to putt out should take care of the flag and put it back in the hole.

ball_basher

Assistant Pro
Visit site
your well with in your rights to ask the guy to hold the flag stick by the flag , but this really is not any different from chipping from the fringe of the green when the flag would be blowing about , i realize its not normally from 4 feet but you can still here it .....

ball_basher

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have to admit it i am one of those , watch the water!! but its only when im playing with my mates in friendly games ,i would not dream of doing it or anything else for that matter to try and put somebody off in a comp or if i just met somebody on the tee .

golfer1

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is this why the pros usually get there own caddie to hold the flags when it's their turn to putt?

The only solution to this, is to get in front of a mirror an practise a "Monty Scowl". It always makes me stand still, and I'm only watching him on the tele.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this why the pros usually get there own caddie to hold the flags when it's their turn to putt?

Golfers often use there caddies feet as aiming aids for long putts. They cant ask them to stand in a certain place but am sure golfer and caddie have a very good understanding of each green and what is required.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
During games with mates then there are all the distractions going, including head covers being thrown during back swing. This is all good for a laugh, but it does teach focus, which is needed in medal comps. Once the medal starts, it is serious all the way, but friday afternoon, bring it on.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest I think people make too much of an excuse out of noise affecting their game. If you focus enough on the job in hand then it really shouldn't bother you.

Am not advocating that your opponents do all they can to put you off by the way. I just think a bit of'mental toughness' is required.

Played last week and on one part of our course there was a farmer in his field by one of the greens using a chainsaw to remove a tree. Not exactly the ideal background noise but absolutely nothing we could do about it. Just had to deal with it.

DHM.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
To be honest I think people make too much of an excuse out of noise affecting their game. If you focus enough on the job in hand then it really shouldn't bother you.

Am not advocating that your opponents do all they can to put you off by the way. I just think a bit of'mental toughness' is required.

Played last week and on one part of our course there was a farmer in his field by one of the greens using a chainsaw to remove a tree. Not exactly the ideal background noise but absolutely nothing we could do about it. Just had to deal with it.

DHM.
That's totally different though d_h_m. That wouldn;t bother me or most players, it's a constant noise, just like if you were playing next to a busy road, or under a flight path.

It's the noise during your stroke that occurs unexpectedly that is a problem. It's human nature to react to something to see where it is, you can't control your reflexes, and the only way you would miss it is if you were incredibly focused. Even the top pros are affected by that. Woosie even misses putts at the sound of a kit kat snapping :p

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with Echtloon, consistent noise isn't the problem.

Even tiger gets put off if someone takes a picture while he's swinging. Monty with the Kit Kat is just bang out of order..... I would have shoved a kit kat chunky right up his ar$£

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would love to see the results of a sound test for camera shutters, I don't believe you could possibly hear one at 10 yards, a whole host going off together, maybe.

I think it is more likely they are reacting because they are not focused. Personally if I really concentrate on what I'm doing the universe could collapse and I wouldn't notice.

However, as I'm going to Wentworth, I've just checked the manual for the new camera (182 pages of it!) and there is an off setting for operation sound volume.