Five out of Six public courses in Glasgow to close?

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Municipal courses are the ones at the bottom of the pile. Generally, it is because money has not been available for updating or upkeep. The course boom in the 80s and 90s means they were the ones with better finance initially. Now both types are trying to get similar groups of people to play them. There will be a rebalancing of numbers back to pre-boom. Some of both types will go plus the weaker of the members clubs.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Many of us will have played a bit of municipal golf when taking up the game and I'm sure a lot of regular golfers will conclude that they wouldn't have taken up the game were this not an option.

Perhaps these closures will have continued knock on effects and we will continue with a pool of ever decreasing golfers.

However back in the day, most private courses were full and had waiting lists and joining fees. So it was reasonably impractical to become a regular player without playing at municipals, even if you were on a waiting list.

Nowadays this is not the case and in most towns / cities, even without municipals, you will be able to get pay and play, even on weekends and most people will not be too far from a resort course attached to a hotel that will have deals going to fill up the tee sheet.

I guess the issue in Glasgow is these courses were underinvested in for years and so they wouldn't have had that many regular players nad likely those that were would have been strictly due to budget. I played a few of them about 10 years ago and one was decent (Lethamhill) and one was shocking (Knightswood). Ironically Knightswood is the one being retained. And clearly one factor is that if 5 of these sites cease to be a golf course, it is almost certain that they will never be a golf course again.

I'd like to think this will be an opportunity for golf clubs in the area to do more to attract casual golfers and try and get a few of them as regular players. Obviously many will simply not or choose not to pay higher fees for a better course, but clubs generally do have a duty and a requirement to do more to encourage new players to the game.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They should be "propped up" as councils have a duty to provide healthy and affordable facilities for people living and paying their council tax.
I would understand if they chose to close a couple but this seems wrong.

Courses are underused, same in South Ayrshire. There has been a big drop off in golf usage.
Scotland has far too many golf courses for the number of players.
The councils find it hard keep sporting facilities open and have to prioritise.
eg A drop of in football and an uptake in rugby means change football pitches to rugby pitches.
Tough job as things like swimming pools just swallow up money.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Mearns Castle seems to be bucking the trend as the have just closed to new members and are now operating a waiting list, glad i got in when i did.

I think their model of fairly low cost membership and beginner friendly is working well.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
My first round of golf was at Brandhall
A good course with a real mixture of holes. But the problem is there are more dog walkers and people (especially schoolkids) taking a shortcut over it, than golfers.
There is nearby competition from Warley Woods GC, and 2 more on the Rowley hills close by - Dudley and Rowley.
Buy a house there and you could be overlooking and breathing the fumes from the adjacent M5.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Mearns Castle seems to be bucking the trend as the have just closed to new members and are now operating a waiting list, glad i got in when i did.

I think their model of fairly low cost membership and beginner friendly is working well.

I think Mearns Castle has found a niche as it is a 9 holer so people can join at a reasonable fee and keep their handicap going, knowing that they can't really afford time to play much.

Most of the other courses in the area will be c. £1,000 a year before you've hit a ball.

Edit to add that Eastwood GC, not far from Mearns, closed down last year - scattering their membership to the four winds.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Many of us will have played a bit of municipal golf when taking up the game and I'm sure a lot of regular golfers will conclude that they wouldn't have taken up the game were this not an option.

Perhaps these closures will have continued knock on effects and we will continue with a pool of ever decreasing golfers.

However back in the day, most private courses were full and had waiting lists and joining fees. So it was reasonably impractical to become a regular player without playing at municipals, even if you were on a waiting list.

Nowadays this is not the case and in most towns / cities, even without municipals, you will be able to get pay and play, even on weekends and most people will not be too far from a resort course attached to a hotel that will have deals going to fill up the tee sheet.

I guess the issue in Glasgow is these courses were underinvested in for years and so they wouldn't have had that many regular players nad likely those that were would have been strictly due to budget. I played a few of them about 10 years ago and one was decent (Lethamhill) and one was shocking (Knightswood). Ironically Knightswood is the one being retained. And clearly one factor is that if 5 of these sites cease to be a golf course, it is almost certain that they will never be a golf course again.

I'd like to think this will be an opportunity for golf clubs in the area to do more to attract casual golfers and try and get a few of them as regular players. Obviously many will simply not or choose not to pay higher fees for a better course, but clubs generally do have a duty and a requirement to do more to encourage new players to the game.
I think this sums it up pretty well. When I started, it was very difficult to get to be a member of a golf club. Waiting lists, need to know members, etc. so I had to use the local municipals in the area. In my instance - Allerton, Bowring Park, Walton Hall, Sherdley Park and St. Michael's Jubilee, Widnes.
Nowadays in most areas of the demographic has changed.
  • Many clubs are looking for members so it is far easier to join a private club these days.
  • There are some good offers around at the moment for people to become members.
  • The availability of schemes like 2 Fore 1 means that people can play at different courses more easily.
  • Member courses tend to be better looked after than private courses (not always I know but generally speaking).
And the chase for new members, and golfers who want to join a private club, is taking people away from the Public courses. Tie that in to the fact that people don't want to spend hours out on the course at the weekend and youngsters do tend to not have the patience to take up the game and it all adds up to reduced demand and footfall not covering the costs of keeping the courses open.

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
Such a shame. Like many on here have posted, I too cut my teeth on municipal courses. Great memories of getting taught the game by my dad and spending summers on them with mates. Linn, Deakies, lethamhill, the old kings park 9 hole and littlehill which is a James Braid and former open qualifier venue.

Would be ashame to see them go from a sentimental point of view but also feel it gives many access to this beautiful game who wouldn't necessarily have such without the public courses.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Agreed, works well for the fairweather golfer as well as beginners like myself. i reckon ill do a couple of years at mearns castle then maybe look for a more challenging course.
I think Mearns Castle has found a niche as it is a 9 holer so people can join at a reasonable fee and keep their handicap going, knowing that they can't really afford time to play much.

Most of the other courses in the area will be c. £1,000 a year before you've hit a ball.

Edit to add that Eastwood GC, not far from Mearns, closed down last year - scattering their membership to the four winds.
d

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm going to do a mini tour of the courses due to close when the weather picks up if anyone want to join a we farewell before they go