20 Years Out of Bounds - Taking Up Golf Again!

• Thread starter Deleted member 27584
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27584

Greetings from a not so new Newbie!

As the Post infers, I'm a 56 year old golf lover who's been in hibernation for a very long time. Got in golf in the 80's when I was a daft lad and around the time when getting a tee time was something akin to pulling teeth.

Fortunately, that aspect of the game us greatly improved during my lay off.
In truth, I came back to this great game last year via a 3 months trial membership at Chesterfield Golf Club. Ultimately, that didn't work out then because the Club was just too distant from my home and didn't fit in with my caring responsibilities for my Daughter, who suffered a brain injury 5 years ago at the age of 18. Through nothing short of a miracle, she has recovered sufficiently for me to even dream of having a normal life again, part of which must get relieve me from the 24/7 grind of looking after my beloved Daughter.

Whilst the trial membership didn't work out it definitely rekindled my love of the game, if not my skill! Technology has changed significantly and my fitness and ability to get the ball progressing has been challenging, to say the least.
Previously, I had never been a member of a Club, nor acquired a handicap, relying on the several good municipal courses in the Sheffield/Chesterfield/Rotherham area where I still live.

Since I was struggling to get anywhere near beating 100 at Chesterfield, I went back to my roots and played Tinsley Park a few times. What a contrast!! Must be familiarity I suppose, but my scores there were much lower, indeed breaking 90 once or twice. Prior to my sojourn I'd broken 80 a few times around various courses.

However, £10 for a twilight round of millionaires golf prompted me to progress to another trial membership, this time at Hillsborough Golf Club for the month of September. I very much enjoyed the 3 weeks I played there before the monsoons broke, curtailing the last week of my trial.

Whereas at Chesterfield and Tinsley Park I played alone, at Hillsborough I joined the midweek roll-up and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Albeit, the course is much more difficult and had yet to get near 100!!

I'd describe myself as a fair weather, car park golfer (see I have been lurking!) looking to get as many midweek afternoon rounds in as possible between April and October, with a view to gaining an official handicap some time in the future. As long as this fits around my Daughters therapy schedule I'm OK to travel but ideally anything more than 6 hours away from her would be too much for her (and the Wife).

I'm not totally convinced regarding full club membership - simply from the financial aspect of only being on Carers Allowance which doesn't go very far on £66 a week.

If anyone has any recommendations for clubs near the south of Sheffield or fancies a knock with a bit of a character, then please do say hello.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Wherever you join, see if they run midweek competitions so you have the option of five day membership and can be pretty flexible about playing in the week. Enjoy the madhouse and good luck getting back into golf