Fittings

Buckbeak

Visit site
Hi guys,

What’s the census on getting fittings and then going elsewhere to buy?

For instance, say the Wilson D7 irons. On AG they’re £449, on Snainton Golf you can get them for £350 and you have the option to style it to different shafts, grips, length etc.

I would feel uncomfortable going to AG for a fitting getting spec’d up and then not buying, but then again I’d save myself £100 to go towards golf balls that I will lose with the new irons.

What’s people’s thoughts on this? And has anyone here done it?

cheers

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Its like anything....if you use someones expertise to tell you what you need and then go and buy from the cheapest place possible then eventually the experts will go out of business.

Many of them recognise that this (buying elsewhere) happens and as Traminator says have started charging for the fitting and will deduct if you buy from them so they protect themselves to an extent.

However....the best fitters/club builders, if you buy from them, will also offer some sort of "after sales" service where, for a limited period after purchase, they will fine tune/tweak your clubs further to make sure they are right for you (e.g. fine tune lofts for equal spacing of club yardages)....you wont get that from a Snainton or similar.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most places with any sense charge for the fitting then it's up to you where you buy from. Often they will deduct the cost of the fitting if you buy from them.
Exactly this. If AG are going to offer free fitting then they have to take the rough with the smooth and expect a few people to abuse it. I've done a fitting with them before and bought the club second hand off Ebay, I regret nothing. Also the AG fitting is usually of a lower quality than other fittings anyway. So I wouldn't sweat it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally, I wouldnt go to AG for a fitting.

Nor would I. I would find a local fitter (not sure where the OP is from) and pay the charge which is normally offset against the cost if you buy. In my experience, most fitters carry a wider range of shafts than AG anyway. Also, if the D7's don't work out there may be other Wilson heads to try

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shouldn’t be an issue, you pay for the fitting and you are never tied into buying the clubs you fit for, you still and always will have a choice.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't sweat it, plenty of people get fitted and don't buy, they're used to it.

I'll counter the above posts though, and say I'd recommend AG.i thought their fitting sessions I did were excellent. I've done two this year, each for a couple of hours a go.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't sweat it, plenty of people get fitted and don't buy, they're used to it.

I'll counter the above posts though, and say I'd recommend AG.i thought their fitting sessions I did were excellent. I've done two this year, each for a couple of hours a go.

There are definitely some good AG stores out there and like you, plenty of others on here have had good experiences. Sadly I have been to fittings at three separate stores (Bird Hills, Slough and Camberley) that were poor compared to fittings I have had at places like Silvermere. My biggest issue is how much of a lottery it is to find an AG store that is good. At the end of the day, if the OP gets a fitting he is happy with, gets the specs and can then find the clubs he wants then it doesn't matter where he gets fitted.

Kpa77

Visit site
American golf typically charge the highest prices from what I’ve seen, they don’t deserve anyone’s business. My ex local one that shut down used range balls in fittings, that says it’s all.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd go to a reputable fitter. Personally, I use my clubs pro for all my purchases, and in return for my loyalty he'll price match clubhouse golf prices. Also any issues after market sales are covered.

Big outlet stores like AG will continue to have their place, for me it's not where I want to put my money into.

Buckbeak

Visit site
I’m based in South London, so New Malden is probably my closest AG. I’ve had a good experience there when I went for a “club fit” to see if my clubs were right for me. The guy that did it didn’t push me for anything and actually gave me a bit of swing advice. Albeit I’ve never had a fitting for new clubs, so not sure how they are in that sense.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m based in South London, so New Malden is probably my closest AG. I’ve had a good experience there when I went for a “club fit” to see if my clubs were right for me. The guy that did it didn’t push me for anything and actually gave me a bit of swing advice. Albeit I’ve never had a fitting for new clubs, so not sure how they are in that sense.
New Malden is their flagship store. They have 3 pros who do the fittings. They're very good there.

On a side note, since the refurb, they don't price match anymore, or really offer discounts. As a rule. But you can try to negotiate. Just be prepared to pay retail if it doesn't work

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Given your locality, if it was me I would wander down the A3 to Silvermere. All the main brands there and very good fitters and they'll take the cost of the fitting of the price of the clubs if you buy them there