First summer league match of the season.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
This evening was our first summer league match against the team that has won our area for the last forever years.
we had to play them away but with the captain and vice captain putting together what was, on paper, our strongest team ever confidence was high.
The chap I was playing, James, had one of the ugliest, most unorthodox swings I have ever seen with his sand wedge struggling to get 15 feet off the ground. His short game was amazing!
Going 2 down after two holes it didn't look good but I bounced back on the third to get it back to 1 down. We traded blows for a few holes and our first half coming on the 8th. A fantastic putt from James on the 9th left me walking to the 10th tee 3 down!
After both of us hitting good drives up the 10th James chipped to within 6 inches leaving me staring at going 4 down. I hit one of my best chip shots which nearly went in on the second bounce but ran 6 feet past and I missed the putt back. 4 down with 8 to play, this wasn't looking good!
A par on the 11th and 12th gave me some hope before a poor chip on 13 put a lot of pressure on my putt which I rolled in for the half.
Another long putt on 14 for another half and things were starting to feel desperate when I hit a poor shot into the trees on 15 but the 4th long putt to save a half and I began to gain a little confidence.
On the 16th I hit a great second putt for par while James left himself a short but testy putt for the half and dormie but it slid past the hole.
1 down and two to play.
A safe 3 wood on 17 while James hit his towards a copse of trees making getting on the green in one impossible. A good second shot and a putt ment we went up 18 all square.
Pulling my tee shot way left onto the practice green while James hit a great shot into the middle of the green. This felt all over bar the putting! After agreeing a point of relief I had a 12 foot high bank to play over with a slope on the green side and a green that was falling away. I felt like I didn't stand a chance of keeping it on the green let alone getting it near the hole. After a few practice swings I hit my best shot of the day, month, year, maybe ever to just clear the top of the bank pitching on the down slope to roll to 4 feet of the hole. James missed his putt to leave a 3 footer while I sank mine in the middle of the hole fully expecting to be going up 19. James hit his putt but it pulled up 3 inches short and I won the match 1 up!
Shame the team went down 6-1 though with all the matches either going to extra holes or ending on the 18th.
Feeling a little smug but very disappointed at the same time.