First game of links golf in over 20 years...

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This Friday I have my first game of links golf in over 20 years when playing the New Course St Andrews.

What should I expect ? Uneven fairways, ball rolling for miles, wind...what else ??

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm surprised you need to ask, thought you knew all about the St Andrews courses?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So just my normal game then 藍藍

Ha ha. Maybe your randomness and the course together will end up with straight bounces?

Remember when Jeff Goldblum described Chaos Theory in the first Jurassic Park? That is links golf in my slightly twisted view.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Remember when Jeff Goldblum described Chaos Theory in the first Jurassic Park? That is links golf in my slightly twisted view.

I watched that film and thought it was all believable until near the end when the girl sat in front of a terminal, switched it on and said "This is Unix, I understand this" At that point I realised it was all made up :rofl:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sideways bounces ruining a good shot.

Randomness.

see i don't hold with this view , ive never seen good shots punished on a links course and i play all my golf on them. in fact good shots get rewarded on the whole. if you play badly you are punished, but that should be the case on any course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
see i don't hold with this view , ive never seen good shots punished on a links course and i play all my golf on them. in fact good shots get rewarded on the whole. if you play badly you are punished, but that should be the case on any course.

We are all allowed opinions. Obviously mine is the correct one :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We are all allowed opinions. Obviously mine is the correct one :D

thats not a opinion though is it saying its random golf ?? which it clearly isn't you can have a option that you don't like links courses.

Maybe you were just not good enough and blame the course for poor play;) thats my opinion anyway;)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forget the fancy wedge play and putt from 30 yards out

Chip with a hybrid from 60 yards out

Practice punch shots

Leave the driver alone unless you're lethal with it.

Have fun, it's a great change of challenge if you haven't played it in a while

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You may also be taking this a tad too seriously.

not at all;)

Cabby, go out enjoy it. the new is pretty short anyway and not that tight off the tee. if its anything like here at the moment it will be rock hard and bone dry. Our lot are thinking of putting the sprinkler system on in the next couple of weeks!!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My memory ain't what it used to be cupcake but not bad enough for me to recall how ordinary TOC is 👍

It certainly CAN be! But it doesn't take more than a mild breeze to turn it (or any links course for that matter) into a monster challenge!

Enjoy The New! It's a very 'fair' course and one I really like - up there with some Open courses imo. Been a while, but I can't remember too many 'mid fairway' obstacles that 'ruin an otherwise good shot'! 9th can certainly be a challenge in a breeze though! And after a gentle start (Old Tom's typical style) the 3rd is a dandy wake-up!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We used to really enjoy the New all these years back but other than the 9th I can hardly remember a hole.

Looking at the card the first few are fairly short par 4s and reckon if they are down wind may be drivable???

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought that the new course was a great track and really enjoyed it. Granted I played it on a dry but breezy day, but would be back in a shot if it wasn't so far away.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Been a while, but I can't remember too many 'mid fairway' obstacles that 'ruin an otherwise good shot'!...

Just had a look at the web site and see that it's described as 'undulating'! So expect the occasional 'interesting' bounce! Of course, these may simply be there to dissuade you from the likes of 'driving the green' on short par 4s like the first couple!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Smack a "brassie" or a "spoon" off the tee to keep it out of the gorse, or even a "cleek" off the tee. Best play conservatively.

That strategy should only leave you a "spade mashie" or a "mashie niblick" at most but hopefully only a "pitching niblick".

However don't turn up with a "jigger" in your bag, modern golf frowns upon them. Not cool.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Smack a "brassie" or a "spoon" off the tee to keep it out of the gorse, or even a "cleek" off the tee. Best play conservatively.

That strategy should only leave you a "spade mashie" or a "mashie niblick" at most but hopefully only a "pitching niblick".

However don't turn up with a "jigger" in your bag, modern golf frowns upon them. Not cool.

now your talking, would love to play Hickory's around the new. Just got myself 5 clubs and played a couple of rounds with them. meeting a dealer on Friday thats got some more for me to try and buy;)