Finally something a pro says makes sense to me

Chopper007

Hacker
Visit site
As I mentioned in the title, I was reading an article in GM a while ago about the clubs in McIlroy. I took notice of the comment he made about his putter. That he had trouble adjusting to the Nike putter that the balls started to roll a lot quicker than he was use to. I know Nike gets slated here a bit but I said I'd give one a try in store.

So found a Nike Core Method a few weeks ago but didn't buy it straight away. Gave it a few hits and have to agree with McIlroy. I have been a disaster with leaving putts short but something was working with this putter. So after a few weeks I took the plunge, bought the putter on Friday and I (one of the lucky ones) got out yesterday and played. Not one put left short and every putt under 10ft straight in the middle of the hole. Finally a putter I could use and still can't believe I bought Nike.

So has anyone else here had a similar experience, a pro has said something interesting about a club and you have took the bait and bought it?

Apologies about the length of post, just can't believe it's working.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nike make some of the best clubs on the market and their quality is second to none. can't get on with their premium balls though and I wouldn't be surprised if this has been a bigger issue for McIlroy than anything else.

The only advice a pro has given me regarding clubs is to make sure it feels and looks right because if it doesn't feel or look right it'll only take a few weeks for you to convince yourself it isn't :mad:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I mentioned in the title, I was reading an article in GM a while ago about the clubs in McIlroy. I took notice of the comment he made about his putter. That he had trouble adjusting to the Nike putter that the balls started to roll a lot quicker than he was use to. I know Nike gets slated here a bit but I said I'd give one a try in store.

So found a Nike Core Method a few weeks ago but didn't buy it straight away. Gave it a few hits and have to agree with McIlroy. I have been a disaster with leaving putts short but something was working with this putter. So after a few weeks I took the plunge, bought the putter on Friday and I (one of the lucky ones) got out yesterday and played. Not one put left short and every putt under 10ft straight in the middle of the hole. Finally a putter I could use and still can't believe I bought Nike.

So has anyone else here had a similar experience, a pro has said something interesting about a club and you have took the bait and bought it?

Apologies about the length of post, just can't believe it's working.

Interesting as I'm one that leaves puts short more often than not. Is it milled or the cast version

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weirdly I have just bought and taken delivery of a method 005 (milled face) after having a wee play with one prior.

Am yet to play for real with it but here's hoping!

NB. Bought from an eBay seller that turned out to be snainton golf, incognito!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A pro, I forget which one, mentioned a good while back about adjusting the swing weight of his putter to make the head feel heavier.

I did the same on my Scotty Cameron, removing the stock Pistolero grip (... Which was cack anyway) an replaced it with an Iomic grip.

The difference in swing weight is around 4 points and the putter, to me feels much, much better.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Not one put left short and every putt under 10ft straight in the middle of the hole. Finally a putter I could use and still can't believe I bought Nike.

If you play tomorrow and MISS everything is the putter now NOT working :whistle:.... or could it possibly be YOU?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Allright Phil ,

Nice one finding a putter that will give you confidence , just curious how does it compare length wise etc with your old one , has your stance or position over the ball changed at all ? that could give different roll on the ball for you ..

what ever it is, if it gives you confidence it can only be good .. handicap be flying down , i may watch out ...

Looking forward to a game when the qualifiers start back ..

Chopper007

Hacker
Visit site
If you play tomorrow and MISS everything is the putter now NOT working :whistle:.... or could it possibly be YOU?

I understand where you are coming from but we all know that we have our good days and our bad days on the course and YES it would probably be down to me. I didnt just buy this after a few hits in the shop and still have my old putter. We all see the tour pros promoting their gear for their sponsors. What i picked up on was what McIlroy said about the ball rolling off the putter face more quickly than what he is used to. Normally us amateurs wouldnt notice something like this with our weekend golf but i did when i played last weekend. For the first time in years I had a lot of confidence using a putter from a company I was never sure about.

Chopper007

Hacker
Visit site
Allright Phil ,

Nice one finding a putter that will give you confidence , just curious how does it compare length wise etc with your old one , has your stance or position over the ball changed at all ? that could give different roll on the ball for you ..

what ever it is, if it gives you confidence it can only be good .. handicap be flying down , i may watch out ...

Looking forward to a game when the qualifiers start back ..

Hi Bill

All good. Looking forward to getting out for a game soon.

Nothing changed with stance or swing but did go with an inch longer putter. You have seen my putting, disaster leaving putts short. Something just clicked with this one after a bit of testing. Played last sunday and had 28 putts. Pity i couldnt do that every week.

Talk soon.

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
Highly recommend the pro core. That and some anti vibration tape under the grip and behind the face and see what you think!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I understand where you are coming from but we all know that we have our good days and our bad days on the course and YES it would probably be down to me. I didnt just buy this after a few hits in the shop and still have my old putter. We all see the tour pros promoting their gear for their sponsors. What i picked up on was what McIlroy said about the ball rolling off the putter face more quickly than what he is used to. Normally us amateurs wouldnt notice something like this with our weekend golf but i did when i played last weekend. For the first time in years I had a lot of confidence using a putter from a company I was never sure about.

Yep, not doubting you, it certainly (read as PROBABLY) does help when we find a club that we actually like AND like the feel of. The rest (consistency) is still down to the guy holding it.