Finally got a cut!!!

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
So I've been playing golf "seriously" now for 22 months. No matter how hard I try I can't hold a competition together. In friendlies i always score between 36-44 points and get called a bandit.

Par at my club is 66 and sss is 62. (It's not an overly long course but challenging). The css is usually set to 60 to make things interesting. Not fun if you are a high handicapper like myself. I've only ever managed to shoot 32 points once, my last 3 scores being 22, 28, 32 in a comp and for a cut you're looking at 42 points plus before you can hope for anything.

So today I handed in a supplementary card and I shot a gross 82. 48 points. Hoping for a nice cut to around 26.4 depending on whether they use the sss (-4) or usual css (-6).

What can I not do this in a comp?? I'd have cleaned up with 48 points! Our usual winning score is between 38-42!!

Now I just hope it's not a one round wonder!!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
So I've been playing golf "seriously" now for 22 months. No matter how hard I try I can't hold a competition together. In friendlies i always score between 36-44 points and get called a bandit.

Par at my club is 66 and sss is 62. (It's not an overly long course but challenging). The css is usually set to 60 to make things interesting. Not fun if you are a high handicapper like myself. I've only ever managed to shoot 32 points once, my last 3 scores being 22, 28, 32 in a comp and for a cut you're looking at 42 points plus before you can hope for anything.

So today I handed in a supplementary card and I shot a gross 82. 48 points. Hoping for a nice cut to around 26.4 depending on whether they use the sss (-4) or usual css (-6).

What can I not do this in a comp?? I'd have cleaned up with 48 points! Our usual winning score is between 38-42!!

Now I just hope it's not a one round wonder!!
Well done, but probably a good think you didn't get 48 points in a competition.:whistle:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not the longest course!

@OP
Well done. Frustrating getting close, but perhaps a 'tipping' point for more.

CSS doesn't get 'set' - it's calculated and normally only reduces from SSS by 1. The fact that BVGC is a 9-holer shouldn't make any difference to that, but might.

Last edited:

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
CCs of 60 from a par of 66 ?!?

The courses SSS is 62. I feel it has a lot to being an older man's course who don't want continuous cuts and it has a "par 5" that due to the removal of the back tee (don't know why) it now only plays as 398 yards. So they reduce it a further 2 shots in a competition. It's ridiculous!

Usually playing other courses I score better than I do at home. Looking forward to the relocation we have planned for next year to get to a more substantial course.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well the CSS being reduced is done automatically when results are published

And a par 5 at under 400 yards ?! Change it to a par 4 !

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well the CSS being reduced is done automatically when results are published

And a par 5 at under 400 yards ?! Change it to a par 4 !

If done via negotiation with Area Authority, that's effectively what they have done - agreed to a change of SSS! If they hadn't done so, they y almost certainly wouldn't have been able to hold quallifying comps, because the length would have differed by more than 100yds from a 'measured course'!

Last edited:

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
If done via negotiation with Area Authority, that's effectively what they have done - agreed to a change of SSS! If they hadn't done so, they y almost certainly wouldn't have been able to hold quallifying comps, because the length would have differed by more than 100yds from a 'measured course'!

I think that's why the CSS is 6 under in comps when the SSS is 4 under. The extra -2 is to compensate the par 5 now being a par 4 (and being a 9 hole course we play it twice). But surely they should have the SSS updated properly if that's the case? Either way I'm happy to get a cut. Seems supplementary cards is my way for cuts until my nerves I comps settle.