WHS Hard Cap

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m fully expecting my new handicap index to be Hard capped as I have been playing very poorly and the average of my best 8 from 20 is around 8 more than my handicap was in April this year. April handicap 21 average of 8 from 20 is around 29.
I have improved in the last month or two and even had a 0.4 cut for coming 3rd with 38 points. Score was 94 with CSS of 73.

My question is that if my playing handicap is hard capped to 26, as I understand is the rule for the hard cap to restrict it to 5 over my recent CONGU handicap. If I do score 94 again ie 5 less than my new playing handicap but not lowering my average of best 8 from 20 to less than around 27 or 28 will I still get my HI cut?

I do understand that all those handicaps I’ve quoted need to be desloped and sloped back up but for simplification I am using the effective playing handicaps.

I do seriously want to reduce my handicap, this is not a question to see if I can bandit my way to a few wins.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think the simple answer to your question is that if you post better scores then your handicap will be reduced under WHS.

As I understand it the migration will process all qualifying scores from January 2018. As it moves through them it will apply the soft and hard cap rules so when you most recent scores are process the correct HI will be calculated and the appropriate anchor point disclosed.

In subsequent rounds if they are greater than your hard capped HI it will not go up. If however they are lower it will go down in the normal way.
Not sure what date will be used for the anchor point after migration but this will determin how long the hard cap will apply.

Jimbof

Visit site
Assuming you've entered scores from 2018 onwards, the Low Handicap Index will be identified and the Soft and Hard Caps applied when coming up to a Transition Handicap Index. I understand there will not be a cap of 5 shots above your CONGU handicap outside of the scores entered and the appropraite soft and hard caps applied as a result of the scores. There will, however, be reports produced for Clubs which identify those whose transition handicap is significantly higher than their CONGU handicap so Committees can address things.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m fully expecting my new handicap index to be Hard capped .

Every player's Handicap Index is hard capped. It is done on a 365 day rolling basis and as I understand it will start from the 2nd November

Cap
The procedure that reduces or limits the amount by which a player’s Handicap
Index can increase when measured against the player’s Low Handicap Index. There
are two trigger points within the cap procedure:
l Soft cap – the point after which there is a reduction in the rate of upward
movement of a Handicap Index.
l Hard cap – the point which sets the maximum limit for the upward movement
of a Handicap Index.

"My question is that if my playing handicap is hard capped to 26, as I understand is the rule for the hard cap to restrict it to 5 over my recent CONGU handicap. If I do score 94 again ie 5 less than my new playing handicap but not lowering my average of best 8 from 20 to less than around 27 or 28 will I still get my HI cut? "

There is no limit on how low a players Handicap Index can go. All changes to the H.I. are simply based on the best 8 from 20 but I would be surprised if shooting 5 shots under your H.I. did not change the average if just by some decimal points.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
"My question is that if my playing handicap is hard capped to 26, as I understand is the rule for the hard cap to restrict it to 5 over my recent CONGU handicap. If I do score 94 again ie 5 less than my new playing handicap but not lowering my average of best 8 from 20 to less than around 27 or 28 will I still get my HI cut? "

There is no limit on how low a players Handicap Index can go. All changes to the H.I. are simply based on the best 8 from 20 but I would be surprised if shooting 5 shots under your H.I. did not change the average if just by some decimal points.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. The point I was trying to make is that my Congu handicap in April was 21. I have gone back through my comp scores adjusted all scores to maximum of nett double bogey - CSS. The best 8 add up to 226. Devided by 8 = 28.25. I won’t get that (desloped then sloped) as that is more than 5 over my best handicap within a year, ie 21+5 =26. If I score a differential of 21 that will replace a differential of 32 in my best 8. Making my best 8 differential 215 / 8 = 26.8 still higher than the cap even though I scored 6 under my playing handicap.
I’m sure if my form continues I will eventually get my handicap down, but I just found that it seams a bit wrong that I could potentially score 41 points in a comp and still keep my playing handicap.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. The point I was trying to make is that my Congu handicap in April was 21. I have gone back through my comp scores adjusted all scores to maximum of nett double bogey - CSS. The best 8 add up to 226. Devided by 8 = 28.25. I won’t get that (desloped then sloped) as that is more than 5 over my best handicap within a year, ie 21+5 =26. If I score a differential of 21 that will replace a differential of 32 in my best 8. Making my best 8 differential 215 / 8 = 26.8 still higher than the cap even though I scored 6 under my playing handicap.
I’m sure if my form continues I will eventually get my handicap down, but I just found that it seams a bit wrong that I could potentially score 41 points in a comp and still keep my playing handicap.
Handicap Index Safeguards
Q. What is an Exceptional Score and what happens when I post one?

A. Any score that produces a Score Differential that is at least 7.0 strokes better than your Handicap Index at the time the round was played is considered exceptional and is subject to the Exceptional Score Reduction.

• If the Score Differential is between 7.0 and 9.9 strokes better, a -1 adjustment is applied to each of the most recent 20 Score Differentials in your scoring record. This has a net impact of reducing the Handicap Index by 1 stroke.
  • If the Score Differential is 10.0 strokes or better, a -2 adjustment is applied to each of the most recent 20 Score Differentials. This has a net impact of reducing the Handicap Index by 2 strokes.

Scores made following the exceptional score will not contain the -1 or -2 adjustment (unless they are also exceptional) which will slowly diminish the impact of the reduction as you continue to post scores. Also, reductions for multiple exceptional scores are applied cumulatively. (Rule 5.9, Rules of Handicapping)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

I can see why you might think that way - but one way of looking at it is to consider that you've already had your "cut". Your "best 8" calculated an index of 28 but you
had to play off 26 and therefore only got 41 points and not 43 :)

But the other thing is that even if your next score is an "over handicap" score, it might well bring down your index - just depends on the actual numbers in your best 8.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just don't think about it too much. Play golf, enjoy your rounds, enter your card and the handicap index will take care of itself.

It's easy to get caught up in the mechanics. But other than actually playing golf, there's nothing you can do. So ignore the other stuff and just enjoy your golf

Good luck

Swango1980

Visit site
I think the simple answer to your question is that if you post better scores then your handicap will be reduced under WHS.

As I understand it the migration will process all qualifying scores from January 2018. As it moves through them it will apply the soft and hard cap rules so when you most recent scores are process the correct HI will be calculated and the appropriate anchor point disclosed.

In subsequent rounds if they are greater than your hard capped HI it will not go up. If however they are lower it will go down in the normal way.
Not sure what date will be used for the anchor point after migration but this will determin how long the hard cap will apply.
That isn't technically true (your 1st sentence)

I had been looking at a members scores for him. He shot 2 better than handicap in his last round. Under WHS his Index would have gone UP, as 21 rounds ago he shot an even better round, which would then have been lost.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That isn't technically true (your 1st sentence)

I had been looking at a members scores for him. He shot 2 better than handicap in his last round. Under WHS his Index would have gone UP, as 21 rounds ago he shot an even better round, which would then have been lost.
Sorry - you are correct - should have said post better scores than those used to calculate your HI. Was trying to make a general point (badly).