Fees

tony3113

Visit site
My club is experiencing some financial difficulties and may not make it through this year. I could pay my upcoming fees monthly via a credit company that the club use, however, if the club fails part way through the year, could I legally stop paying to the credit company. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Unlikely
Normally you sign a deal with the credit company, they pay the club in full
You're in a binding agreement to continue paying even if you leave
Effectively you've paid the club nothing so would have no comeback if the club closes.
Some clubs do a direct debit that may mean you can stop paying but that's rare

D

Deleted Member 1156

Unlikely
Normally you sign a deal with the credit company, they pay the club in full
You're in a binding agreement to continue paying even if you leave
Effectively you've paid the club nothing so would have no comeback if the club closes.
Some clubs do a direct debit that may mean you can stop paying but that's rare

Yes exactly this ^^^

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as Imurg says you prob owe the money to the credit provider, they would have paid the club so you would still owe them the full amount.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would suggest paying on a credit card(hopefully that would give you some protection if the club went bust)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club went bust the previous year. The new owners allowed people to pay by standing order but they did not include a credit company in the set up so had they gone down again we would all have simply stopped paying at that point. Different set up.

It may be worth talking to the Secretary or equivalent at your club and explaining the situation. If your club is on the edge then expecting people to commit to fees that may just be throwing money down the drain is likely to lead to an exodus. I would not renew on your current basis. Asking them to look at an alternative payment method may keep members at the club and so ultimately save it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought that the value of the assets of the club are likely to get you your money back if it went in to receivership depending upon whether or not they actually own or lease the course.

You would actually need to read the credit agreement to find out if you could stop paying or take it to a Citizens Advice Bureaux who may have the expertise to comment.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have thought that the value of the assets of the club are likely to get you your money back if it went in to receivership depending upon whether or not they actually own or lease the course.

You would actually need to read the credit agreement to find out if you could stop paying or take it to a Citizens Advice Bureaux who may have the expertise to comment.

And depending on if it's a members club, and then it's constitution (you might even be liable for more if it's badly structured!).
In practice it's rarely members clubs that are in this sort of situation; especially if they own the land.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You might find you are an unsecured creditor in the event of receivership hence come well down the list for any payout.

Any new owner is unlikely to be sympathetic to oney already paid.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Given the uncertainty, my first reaction would be to look for a new home, enjoy my golf without any threat of closure, keep a watching brief over the year and then reconsider once the picture is clearer