Faulty M4 irons from American Golf

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you buy a car and something comes off because it was not glued properly and can be fixed by regluing would you expect to get a replacement car instead?

Loose heads is an uncommon fault and regluing is the simple fix.

I have built clubs for years and sometimes you get a poor batch of glue so the head becomes loose never had a problem once it has been reglued with another batch of glue.
Actually yes, if it was a brand new car then it would be within my rights to reject the vehicle.

In this case, it was fair to allow a repair. OP is now happy with the outcome. Good customer service leads to repeat business.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
After being re-glued they would have been absolutely fine. Generally the m4, Sim stealth type of iron sets are cheaper made and produced sets, doesn't surprise me issues like this would arise. I'd have trusted the re-glued set more than the new set you were given

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the OP has done rather well in getting new clubs out of this. Given that the fault(s) first materialised after 5 months (ie less than 6 months), then the retailer has to have opportunity to repair or replace the goods. You can state a preference as to which, but they are not obliged to go with your preference - especially if they consider one option is disproportionally more expensive than the other

In the case of golf clubs, I'd say re-glueing was entirely proportionate - as it is really only a re-application of a part of the original manufacturing process. Given that they (ie AG) could have insisted that the re-glueing was an adequate response, then getting new clubs was somewhat 'over and above'. In reality many retaielers simply do the 'replace' option when they dont have to - just because it's easier (or it some cases, it makes the customer 'go away' ...)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No I was after a set that the heads don't come off. I would have been happy with M4s but they don't stock them anymore ! If the same happens with these I'll complain.
I thought they fixed the fault - seems you were only going to accept one outcome - which you achieved, so congrats on that

Dazc

Visit site
Yes has I said in my original post has anyone had issues getting a whole set replaced. I think the majority of members on here would expect heads to stay on clubs longer than 3 months and if they didn't they would want them replacing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes has I said in my original post has anyone had issues getting a whole set replaced. I think the majority of members on here would expect heads to stay on clubs longer than 3 months and if they didn't they would want them replacing.

Even though regluing them would make them just as strong if not stronger as we have no idea if the new set doesn't have same defect .. I would be looking for a replacement at that age

However I wouldn't have any faith in a TM product afters as I'd be worried they would just go again

Dazc

Visit site
Even though regluing them would make them just as strong if not stronger as we have no idea if the new set doesn't have same defect .. I would be looking for a replacement at that age

However I wouldn't have any faith in a TM product afters as I'd be worried they would just go again
If they do I'll be taking them back.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they do I'll be taking them back.

Normally your warranty is however long from the date of first sale not replacement so 1 year warranty if they fail in say 7 months and that takes you over the year they won't do anything

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a new set so the 2 year warranty applies.

Contract of sale is on the initial purchase. I had a pair of adidas tour 360 that started to leak about 3 months before the warranty was up. Replaced and the second set done the same. Exchanged refused for above reason, checked with consumer rights too.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It appears to be a common fault with TM irons, certainly older ones. My mate has had similar issues and discovered others had too.

As disappointing as it is, most manufacturers, if not all, would seek to repair before replacing and in lots of industries they would replace with a refurbed product.