Faulty M4 irons from American Golf

Dazc

Visit site
Bought some m4 irons from American golf in July 2023, the 5 iron head came off in October sent back to TaylorMade for repair. Now the rest of the iron heads have come loose. Sent back to TaylorMade who decided to re glue rather than replace, they said the issue of replacement is down to American golf. Has anyone else had any issues in trying to get a whole set replaced due to a manufacturing fault ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought some m4 irons from American golf in July 2023, the 5 iron head came off in October sent back to TaylorMade for repair. Now the rest of the iron heads have come loose. Sent back to TaylorMade who decided to re glue rather than replace, they said the issue of replacement is down to American golf. Has anyone else had any issues in trying to get a whole set replaced due to a manufacturing fault ?

My pro was saying they are seeing this more and more with TM ATM, batches do it.

Where they mix the glue In the morning and by end of the batch the glue isn't as strong so have had to send sets back

Tbh a reglue will make them super strong

Dazc

Visit site
Can I ask why you want them replaced rather than re-glued?
Agree with @KenL theyd be better re-glued.
After speaking with the guy at TaylorMade he didn't really fill me with confidence when I said I just want peace of mind it won't happen again to all the clubs he replied after being re-glued that SHOULD give me peace of mind. But like some have said on one hand, you'd expect it to be stronger, but on the other hand you wouldn't expect one head to come off after 3 months and the others come loose after 8 months. Would a more expensive set be better made as they say you get what you pay for.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How is the issue down to American Golf?

Did they store them in an oven or outside? Surely the heads falling off is an assembly issue, do AG build clubs for customers?

Contract of sale is with the consumer and the outlet. Then AG have the same wit with the manufacture. You generally cannot skip steps in the chain

Dazc

Visit site
How is the issue down to American Golf?

Did they store them in an oven or outside? Surely the heads falling off is an assembly issue, do AG build clubs for customers?
Who knows how American golf store them and apparently American golf do assemble clubs for manufacturers so I'm told

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d take individually reglued clubs over batch glued all day long.

My pro re glued my 7 iron last year after 7 years of owning it

He explained how he would do it, leave a bit of metal at the end slightly bent back to give the glue more to grip to and it would be stronger than it was previously

Good enough for me

Think I paid him £10 or £15

Dazc

Visit site
Who knows how American golf store them and apparently American golf do assemble clubs for manufacturers so I'm told. Also TaylorMade said the issue is with American Golf as they are the retailer and my contract is with them. Basically very poor customer service from TaylorMade and after reading reviews on their website regarding M4 irons I'm not surprised.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who knows how American golf store them and apparently American golf do assemble clubs for manufacturers so I'm told. Also TaylorMade said the issue is with American Golf as they are the retailer and my contract is with them. Basically very poor customer service from TaylorMade and after reading reviews on their website regarding M4 irons I'm not surprised.

Not sure here, I had an issue with ECCO shoes and ECCO were happy to replace but as was so new had to go via Clarks golf as they have your business and they sorted it for me

Standard practice

RichA

Visit site
I started the thread to see if others have had similar problems and was asking for advice/opinions.
I've had problems with AG and will never use them again.
I've also had problems with manufacturers but, as someone has already pointed out, your contract as a consumer is with AG alone, not TM. Most manufacturers refuse to deal directly with their end users - the few exceptions don't seem to be in the golf industry.
The Consumer Rights Act will inform you of what a supplier must do and the timelines involved, relating to replacement, repair or refund. AG settled with me when I made a formal complaint through Trading Standards and the credit card company.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’d suggest changing the title to be more specific , you could have been returning something as small as a packet of tees. This will encourage more to look at the thread, hey you may even get the answer you actually want

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Would you think I'm within my rights to ask American golf to replace them with new irons ?

Probably not. Your contract is with the retailer and often the retailer is bound by the terms of supply from the manufacturer as to the process for returning/repairing goods with issues. You have to give the retailer and manufacturer proper opportunity to redress the issue, which here appears to be a manufacturing issue, specifically relating to the batch process of gluing of the club heads. The offer to reglue is therefore not-unreasonable.

If however it was your 5 iron head that had come loose again, then I'd say you would be perfectly within your rights to request replacement.

After speaking with the guy at TaylorMade he didn't really fill me with confidence when I said I just want peace of mind it won't happen again to all the clubs he replied after being re-glued that SHOULD give me peace of mind. But like some have said on one hand, you'd expect it to be stronger, but on the other hand you wouldn't expect one head to come off after 3 months and the others come loose after 8 months. Would a more expensive set be better made as they say you get what you pay for.

Well the use of the word SHOULD is just semantics...you wont get anyone in TM or AG to definitively tell you that the re-glue will absolutely definitely solve your problem for ever. That just doesn't happen.

As for a more expensive set....they are subject to the same gluing processes as cheaper sets...if there is an endemic issue with glue going off in the assembly facility then it wont just affect one range of clubs...it will affect all that are assembled there. It may well be that TM have resolved the gluing issue in the intervening months.