Fallacy or Fact

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No it doesnt, just means you dont use a handicap system to decide the winners
Well it would remove the Stableford ones because what would be the point of that without handicaps? 30 handicapper playing off scratch is going to chuck in about 15 blobs.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there should be more gross competitions through the year (most clubs seem to have 2 or 3 at the most) to give low handicappers a chance of actually winning some comps. But you can't do away with handicaps completely - as @jim8flog said, you'd decimate the number of people entering comps, and a lot would probably give up their membership altogether if they weren't bothering with competitions.

I'm being a bit tongue in cheek as I have no expectations that the handicap system would be scrapped, I'm just not a fan of the fact the best player on the day doesnt win the competition.

Golf is about far more than what score you shoot anyway, playing with new people, having a laugh on the course and a beer afterwards are equally important.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well it would remove the Stableford ones because what would be the point of that without handicaps? 30 handicapper playing off scratch is going to chuck in about 15 blobs.

There wouldnt have to be less comps, just the format would always be lowest score wins.

Theres an argument that anyone who is below an index of about 8 is always playing it as a medal anyway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm being a bit tongue in cheek as I have no expectations that the handicap system would be scrapped, I'm just not a fan of the fact the best player on the day doesnt win the competition.

Golf is about far more than what score you shoot anyway, playing with new people, having a laugh on the course and a beer afterwards are equally important.
I do agree but I also like how it is now - handicaps are what make the game what it is in some respects. Hence why I'd stick a gross prize and a nett prize on all the board comps, say. Or at least one a month!

RichA

Visit site
No it doesnt, just means you dont use a handicap system to decide the winners
Which would be fabulous for you good, low handicap guys for a few weeks.
Then the really good, scratch golfers would realise what's going on and start turning up to win everything.
Then the low handicap golfers would start clamouring for some kind of system that makes it more fair for them.

D

Deleted member 1147

F or F: Both Nicklaus and Tiger were lucky when their careers fell. They both played between 2 great generations (one aging and one too young), and thus won more than they might have in the earlier or later generations.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
F or F: Both Nicklaus and Tiger were lucky when their careers fell. They both played between 2 great generations (one aging and one too young), and thus won more than they might have in the earlier or later generations.

Fact. But it’s not a bad thing to be lucky and it doesn’t mean they weren’t also the most skilled at the time. To be the best at anything you have to know where you’re going to find and capitalise on luck.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Fallacy. You can make some argument for any of the top multi major winners.
Nelson won against weak fields.
Palmer won before the TV golf boom.
Sarazen won a major before it even was one.
Watson won when Nicklaus was fading out, and apart from Seve, there wasnt really any other multi major winning level golfers for over a decade.
Etc.

Fallacy.

sjw

Visit site
F or F? A ball goes further when it’s hit with a draw.
I'm going to have to go with fact on this one - not sure about carry, but I feel like if I hit a draw (*cough* hook *cough*) it will bounce and roll out further for more distance (and hence I miss further left than right)