Extortionate green fees!

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Somewhere like Troon, one 4 ball of visitors probably pays more than the annual subscription for members. Set aside 2 hours per day Monday to Friday for visitors and that probably covers all expenditure of the club.
Is it really the case that top courses membership is under 2K? Definitely not for clubs around Surrey. 🙃

D-S

Visit site
Is it really the case that top courses membership is under 2K? Definitely not for clubs around Surrey. 🙃
Burnham and Berrow - full playing membership 1600, green fee 150. At Porthcawl and St.Enodoc this ratio will be even higher. 3 x 4 balls a day at 220 a go gives you just under a £1 million which is a decent membership income.
The Holywell course at Enodoc and the Channel course at Burnham contribute large amounts of revenue from summer holiday makers and winter golfers looking for dry links. The economies of scale looking after two courses rather than one are very large (more efficient use of machinery and labour, one GM, one Head GK, one clubhouse albeit larger etc. etc.)

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
That was/is the logic of the County Card however almost all top/expensive courses, whose prices have risen the most both in % and actual terms, have withdrawn from the scheme. A great shame.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I might classify something as being ‘extortionate’ if I have no choice but to pay. If I have a choice, then nobody is extorting anything from me…it becomes choice…in which case the cost isn’t extortionate.

I’m disappointed that the cost of playing many ‘top’ courses has increased as it has. I’d like to play them; I could afford to play them (with decent gaps 🙄); but I’m not bothered if I don’t (OK I am just a little bit).

Besides, I’m not a fan of lists of top courses others have played, as for some they just seem to be for a bit of braggadocio - and the truth is for most of us playing these courses is just about having the money. Jolly good. Spend away. But not for me. I’ll just continue to test the affordability patience of my wife with my club membership.

sunshine

Visit site
You’ve missed the point here. If visitors are paying £1k+ for a four ball, that subsidises all the running costs so members don’t have to pay much.