Extortionate green fees!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Illegal ?

Bit of a wild stretch when it’s a private club and they can charge what they like for their product

Same as a Porsche charging fortunes for their car
It's not though is it? Because they make their own cars and always have. The issue here is a classic beloved golf course being taken over by an orange person who then renders it unplayable for 99.9% of people. I'm saying there should be regulations - like you have in football over which owners are deemed suitable to buy clubs etc. Like a regulation that says you can't have a 500% increase in green fees in a decade for example. But whatever, I probably wouldn't have played it either way. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It's not though is it? Because they make their own cars and always have. The issue here is a classic beloved golf course being taken over by an orange person who then renders it unplayable for 99.9% of people. I'm saying there should be regulations - like you have in football over which owners are deemed suitable to buy clubs etc. Like a regulation that says you can't have a 500% increase in green fees in a decade for example. But whatever, I probably wouldn't have played it either way. :)

Of course it’s the same

it’s a private club -it’s not up to a regulator to decide what a private club charges

the owner of that golf course has spent millions upgrading it

There are many golf clubs that you can’t play regardless of money - it’s private , their choice

There isn’t any specific rights that say that we must all be able to afford to play any golf course we want

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course it’s the same

it’s a private club -it’s not up to a regulator to decide what a private club charges

the owner of that golf course has spent millions upgrading it

There are many golf clubs that you can’t play regardless of money - it’s private , their choice

There isn’t any specific rights that say that we must all be able to afford to play any golf course we want
So if a new owner took over Liverpool and said match-day tickets are now £1000 that would be alright would it? No problem because he owns the football club so that's his choice.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The issue here is a classic beloved golf course being taken over by an orange person who then renders it unplayable for 99.9% of people.

Absolutely, it's only Turnberry that is expensive because of Trump.

All the other top courses are virtually free with free beer and sandwiches!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
So if a new owner took over Liverpool and said match-day tickets are now £1000 that would be alright would it? No problem because he owns the football club so that's his choice.

That would be his choice and it will be up to people to decide if they want to pay it -

But a club won’t do that because it’s not realistic and people won’t pay it

People will pay £1000k to play Turnberry ,

It’s about £900 to play Sawgrass

Shadow Creek is around £1250

Some pay £10k to get a round at Loch Lomond etc

How many can you pay to play in Wembley ? Wimbledon ? Twickenham ? Lords

Why is there an expectation that they can’t charge high prices to play on their course

Klimski

Visit site
I agree with the sentiment that some 'destination' green fees are getting out of control. It's all to do with the richest citizens having a global playground that squeezes out the middle classes locally. Add to that, that due to social media and the internet leads to the rich doing the same things to be able to say they belong to the same 'club'. So if you're a rich golfer you need to have played: Trump Turnberry, the Old Course, Pinehurst, Kingsbarns etc etc. Not much original thinking going on there.

That said, you may count yourself lucky if you play your golf in the UK: you'll always be able to play a decent course in your area with some pedigree for around UKP 65 / 18 holes. Over here in The Netherlands 18 hole green fees start at Eur 70, and that's for courses with no real interest or merit.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Turnberry to be £1000 before 1pm next year 🙉😂

Everyone I know who has been says it is absolutely first class and the possibly the best course in the world, as well as the facilities being second to none.

But that doesn’t mean they have to charge £1000 😂
As per the thread I started on Saturday. We played 3 courses, 4 rounds over 3 days, hotel, beer, food and fuel, all in for £380. None of them were called Turnberry, but all of them had 18 holes where we hit a little white ball with golf clubs. Can I tell everyone that I have just played one of the most expensive/exclusive courses in the world? No. Do I care? No, we had a great time as ever.

We can have two trips for the price of one Turnberry.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
As per the thread I started on Saturday. We played 3 courses, 4 rounds over 3 days, hotel, beer, food and fuel, all in for £380. None of them were called Turnberry, but all of them had 18 holes where we hit a little white ball with golf clubs. Can I tell everyone that I have just played one of the most expensive/exclusive courses in the world? No. Do I care? No, we had a great time as ever.

We can have two trips for the price of one Turnberry.

Yep spot on

There are many many courses and trips around the UK where you are playing good courses and having great fun during the day and night all at a cost that you will deem appropriate

Turnberry is one of the best in the world - but if you don’t want to pay that fee then don’t

Morfeen75

Visit site
I have been lucky enough to play Turnberry many times, mostly through clients but have paid on at least 3 occassions, the most being £245.00

Would i pay £1000 to play it again? Yes, without a seconds thought. Until you have played it, you wont get it. It really is a top class venue.

Springveldt

Visit site
Turnberry to be £1000 before 1pm next year 🙉😂

Everyone I know who has been says it is absolutely first class and the possibly the best course in the world, as well as the facilities being second to none.

But that doesn’t mean they have to charge £1000 😂
Well he does have a large fine hanging over his head so I guess he needs the money.

I'm sure I read when he was president he had the US military/diplomats/officials etc that flew into Prestwick staying at the hotel in Turnberry while charging the government full prices. Wouldn't be surprised if this price rise is with one eye on him winning in November again.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So if a pair/couple of out of towners want to rock up & play there this year it’ll be about £850 and next year it’ll be £2,000 (AM tee)

If the same pair/couple book a night in Turnberry Hotel, have 3 course dinner with drinks, full breakfast & then play golf (AM tee) it’ll be from around £1,400

I can see why they set the high green fee

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
You can play the open at Turnberry off the back tees for £240 in October......starting to look like good value, especially with a free coffee and bacon roll!