Extortionate green fees!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Trust me it is not just limited to Europe. The dollar or more so the Americans are happy to pay top dollar. I was in Cost Dica a couple of years ago and there was a course an hours drive away it looked stunning. I enquired re price and was told in no uncertain terms. “ Tash they don’t need your money or your Crocs, you have no chance of getting on there. The multi millionaires would sooner there course was empty.
At the moment the best and Cheapest way of playing some quality courses is in there Open days. I enquired about taking a load of lads to Coxmoor. I was told it is now a £100 course.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I honestly don’t see a problem with it at all. You pay £375 for 4 hours golf, as mentioned above, you’re paying 3 figures for a decent seat at a football match these days.
Season ticket for a decent seat at a premier league game is around. £50 per game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't visit Edinburgh either then!

I'm off Dumfries next month with pals. Playing 3 courses (Powfoot, Lockmaben and Dumfries and Galloway). All courses look really nice and all priced about £50. Great value.
I've just stayed at the caravan site next to Powfoot. It is beautifully manicured, boy do they have good greenkeepers. Lots of tall gorse though 😱. Definitely a course to be straight on, or have a lot of balls in your bag 😂.

I don't think distance will be an issue on there, direction of your shots definitely is. Looks a good one to play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A well discussed and popular favourite topic on here over the years as prices have risen and risen. Even before Covid this was discussed and there were some eye watering figures but that has only escalated since. Basically it is an economic decision. Can you afford to pay the green fee without too much concern (save up, bonus etc) and do you think you'll enjoy it once there. I want to play a number of courses, some not too far from me but unless I save hard there is no way I can afford them and not make a big dent in our monthly finances so it's a case of waiting and saving and seeing what happens in the future. On a personal level I am happy to use my county card and play a lot of decent courses at reduced fees if I want to play away from my home course.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Always the same answer

You aren’t forced to pay high green fees , plenty of top courses around for decent fees , many also have Opens for you to enter

Compared to how much money it costs to play the top courses in the US then the UK is a bargain

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been lucky and played quite a number of "top" courses for a lot less than the normal green fees, by playing in county and England Golf events and in opens, just as well as otherwise I ever have been able to play them, I am playing Walton Heath New in a 4BBB open next month (green fees £260) for £90 which also includes a bacon sandwich before the round and a meal after.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best stick to Wetherspoons then. £6 is the low end of the spectrum for a pint of lager these days.
That really depends on where you are in the country. The premium Italian and Spanish lagers up here are £5-5.50. In Newcastle centre it might be £5.50-6 but no more.

Similar in the N.Yorks region from experience, @Mandofred area.

Not everywhere is taking people's eyes out.

I just checked my local Spoons, via the app. £4.22 for a Morreti or Peroni 😳. Blimey that's good.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Everybody picks what they spend money on. I waste it on things other people won't. I'm not paying xxx just to play a round of golf....others will. The only reason I am a member at a golf club is because i play enough to make it reasonable. If somebody offered me a round at St Andrews etc for £100+....it might be a deal for some people, I'm not going to pay it. If you want to pay £100+ to play one round of golf....go for it. The things I waste money on is long.......

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I remember being in a chippy a a young lad with my grandad, when chips were 25p. He said, "Blimey. That's 5 shillings, when I was your age, you could carry 5 shillings worth of chips!"

I'm now about the age my grandad was then!

I hosted some folk have my age at Saunton yesterday. I was annoying them with now much a three dayer in Southport at Open venues cost in the 1990s. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

D

Deleted member 29109

Absolutely.

But post covid green fee inflation has been crackers everywhere.
It has. But then inflation everywhere has been crackers!

I think a few clubs have upped their fees to reduce visitors but still make the same income. Other are just cashing in, which is fine if it works for them.

Where I live in East Anglia, there isn’t an abundance of good golf courses, so green fees are (what I consider) quite high for the quality of some courses.

Lakeside Lodge for example, which is a good place for beginner’s venturing out into a full course. Before Covid it was something like £25 peak and £18 off peak in the summer. Now it’s £42 and £34 on a weekend. Which is more than the twilight rate at Ely and £1 cheaper than my course. I haven’t been back at those prices, which is a shame as it’s an ideal course to take my lad round.