Extortionate green fees!

vinnymarsden

Visit site
This may well have been discussed before, but so be it.
I was looking to plan a golf trip to Southern Ireland next year, I already am aware of rising fees, however!
I looked, as an example at Tralee, its £300 this year in high season, already vastly overpriced in my view, then they have posed next years fee, it will be £375!!!
I'm sorry, and I am not singling out Tralee here particularly, because all the top courses everywhere in the UK are at it!!
The dollar is so so strong the Americans have invaded the top links courses, and quite simply don't mind paying top dollar for it!
I understand business is business, BUT there will come a time, when the dollar weakens, and the American silly money dries up, what will all the courses who have, essentially priced out their own countries golfers do then! I only hope they might see sense and lower their rates, because quite frankly the bucket list trips that people in the UK want to do are no longer financially viable, and these courses have all but turned their back of the golfers who have in the past made them what they are by continually travelling to them, and arranging golf trips to Ireland, Scotland etc.
The days are gone when you see groups of guys in the bars in St Andrews all there ,having a break from the everyday grind.It's become too costly, end of.
I was in St Andrews a few years ago, and it was apparent then that the American invasion was coming, heard more American voices than any other in/around the town!
I can only hope the R&A who oversee it all are happy that all the "jewels in the crown" of UK golf have ostracised their UK visitor potential for the American dollar!!
It is actually cheaper now to travel abroad for a golf trip, and so so many groups are doing that now too.
Rant over, but I genuinely feel very strongly about this, it should not be £350plus for one round of golf ANYWHERE!!!

crdb

Visit site
Something that comes with the rise in popularity unfortunately, driving ranges are slowly getting more & more expensive too, although they add tracking software to some which may justify the higher price.

Not that I have any plans of playing the big courses any time soon, but I don't think £350 for a championship grade course is too bad? I'll just stick to golfnow for my rounds outside the home course :LOL:

D

Deleted member 29109

It’s just basic supply and demand I’m afraid. They have to be that way to attract the visitors.

These courses attracting US visitors also helps the local economy.

And golf is no different to most other things. Going to a top football match will set you back a significant amount. Personally, I’d much rather spend a few hundred on a round of golf somewhere nice than going to a football match (other events are available)

I’ve said it before. People will happily spend hundreds of pounds on a new bag, clubs and clothing that they don’t need. But will complain like mad at having to pay a green fee. Drink water instead of coke on the course and don’t buy new clothing for a year and you’ll cover a large amount of the green fees. Every little helps!

MACM85

Visit site
I am off to Ireland at the start of August for two weeks. The Mrs and I often take advantage of the opens that are on. For instance Druids Glen which is normally €250 green fee each we have booked on for €100. Which in my eyes is far more reasonable. Just need to have some flexibilty to find the opens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve said it before. People will happily spend hundreds of pounds on a new bag, clubs and clothing that they don’t need. But will complain like mad at having to pay a green fee. Drink water instead of coke on the course and don’t buy new clothing for a year and you’ll cover a large amount of the green fees. Every little helps!
You're starting to sound like a certain type of politician. 'Just stop drinking your avocado lattes and save up for that £300 green fee!' 😄

I mean, clubs are expensive as well, yeah, but at least you get to use them more than once.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
The best ones will cost the most, it's a product with limited supply so demand dictates the price. There will be plenty of tee times available at 1/10th of that price.

D

Deleted member 29109

You're starting to sound like a certain type of politician. 'Just stop drinking your avocado lattes and save up for that £300 green fee!' 😄

I mean, clubs are expensive as well, yeah, but at least you get to use them more than once.
Give over. And I’m grassing on you for making political talk 😂

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can only hope the R&A who oversee it all
The R&A look after the rules of golf.

They don't govern green fees in anyway shape or form.

As others have mentioned. Supply and Demand. If you had your own business, and could sell your product at £300 and have plenty of customers...why would you want to sell it for £100?

vinnymarsden

Visit site
The R&A look after the rules of golf.

They don't govern green fees in anyway shape or form.

As others have mentioned. Supply and Demand. If you had your own business, and could sell your product at £300 and have plenty of customers...why would you want to sell it for £100?
Because quite honestly if £100 got me paid well I wouldn’t want to stripe customers like that

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep. It's very sad. YouTube has a great deal to answer for.
Planning a golf trip (which I do every year for our gang) gets very complicated. We always used to go to Scotland, but have been priced out. This year we went to Northumberland (which was great) and next year I have county Durham/Cleveland on the radar.
Wales also works pretty well, but the weather is less reliable.
It's a shame, as seaside golf in Scotland is absolutely my favourite form of the game.

D

Deleted member 25575

I honestly don’t see a problem with it at all. You pay £375 for 4 hours golf, as mentioned above, you’re paying 3 figures for a decent seat at a football match these days, it’s an equitable price.
Nobody is making anyone pay it, much the same as nobody is making anyone go to a football match, F1 GP for 2024 is £110 for the cheapest ticket with only a view of part of the track (as another example), going to centre court during the 2nd week of Wimbledon will cost you £200+.
It’s unfortunately the way things are going, but for me to actually play somewhere like an Open venue, I see value in £350+, more so than sitting with a view of part of an F1 track for £110 or sitting in centre court for final Sunday for £275. But that’s just me and how I personally determine value, others will quite correctly differ

D-S

Visit site
I think it’s the change in relative costs over the past years that irks a lot of people.

For example, I am a member of one of the more expensive clubs in the region (the South West), the price of a game of golf at one of the best clubs within easy reach is now nearly 15% of my annual sub. So I could play there 7 times a year or be a member of my club. The same ratio about 10 years ago was less than 5%, so I could play there more 20 times or be a member of my club. My wife and I have often played there over the years when the weather was good on a normal green fee basis - we are fortunate that we played it when we did, as the relative value is not good enough now.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
You don't need to play prestigious courses.
There are plenty of affordable courses around which provide an enjoyable test of golf.
What does playing a famous course give you, apart from a nicely manicured layout and bragging rights?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nobody is making anyone pay it, much the same as nobody is making anyone go to a football match, F1 GP for 2024 is £110 for the cheapest ticket with only a view of part of the track (as another example), going to centre court during the 2nd week of Wimbledon will cost you £200+.
And for those prices you don't even get to play there, just sit and watch.