Ever had an air shot on the tee? Come on... 'fess up and banish the memory forever

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a sort of Yang to the Yin of the "Are you a big hitter?" thread.

I have had two.

1. Over twenty-five years ago and playing in Tesco Golf Day. I wasn't a golfer then (plenty argue that I'm still not) and I stood up with my trusty persimmon 3-Wood. Missed the ball completely but don't remember the details of how. I do remember hitting my second really well but the embarrassment as I walked off the tee was crippling.

2. Onlyl about 3 years ago when I was playing extremely well in a club match at Maidenhead and it was my honour on the 7th hole. Smacked the ground about 6 inches behind the ball and driver bounced clean over it. Once again my embarrassment was excruciating.

What about you?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a few when starting out

Last week tho my 11 handicap friend who’s played what 10 years had his first ever one. Was hilarious as nobody expected it!!

Smashed the second one straight down middle

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Probably had a couple when I first started - Fragger was better than me then don't just have been a while back....
None since I got my handicap though.
Been close a couple of times mind you

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never had one off the tee but I did get angry at a missed put and tried to smash it 300 yards. Missed, twirled and landed on my ass

Robin Hood

Visit site
Oh yes.
In the early days before I took it seriously.
Recently I was first to tee off in a Society day and toed it sideways.
Got a 6 - 1 point - phew !

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh yes.

Not only that but my next shot was OOB but I had a few moments of fun asking people how I managed to play 4 off the tee.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi

Yes. It was 28 years ago, in a foursomes game at Woodhall Spa - on a par 3. I had to step off the tee and let my playing partner, (who i had never previously met prior to the round) play my ball that was still teed up!

Will never forget the embarrassment of that incident.

Rich

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had been playing for about a year

Was invited by girlfriends father to play golf with him . Bit nervous teeing off on the first two fresh airshots then one that failed to get off the tee then out of bounds into the houses. o_Oo_Oo_O

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My FiL once had 3 in a row on a par 3, his tee shot. After the third he took a step back and then kicked the ball 🤣. The rest of us couldn't hold it in after the third miss, we just burst out laughing. My BiL, his son, was there and still brings it up now with a big grin on his face.

I've skimmed the top of a ball and seen it just drop off the tee and roll a few cm but I don't think I've had a full on air shot. I could be wrong, I may have had one in the early days but I don't remember any.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
My first ever shot at St George's Hill.
A society day, all I wanted to do was hit the thing, so I chose a long iron.
Backswing felt good, and it was at that moment that I shut my eyes.
Downswing felt good, I definately hit something and, when my eyes finally opened, I was staring at a divot, that resembled a hanging basket, cart-wheeling through the air ........................... but no ball!
I looked down and there it was, on top of the tee peg that was next to the bomb hole I'd just carved out of their pristine tee!

Another time, at Puttenham, I took an almighty swipe at my ball, only to make the slightest contact with the heel of my club.
Just enough to slowly topple it off the tee peg and it finished about a ½" from the peg in a direct line with me!!
It didn't even go forward!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first ever shot at St George's Hill.
A society day, all I wanted to do was hit the thing, so I chose a long iron.
Backswing felt good, and it was at that moment that I shut my eyes.
Downswing felt good, I definately hit something and, when my eyes finally opened, I was staring at a divot, that resembled a hanging basket, cart-wheeling through the air ........................... but no ball!
I looked down and there it was, on top of the tee peg that was next to the bomb hole I'd just carved out of their pristine tee!

Another time, at Puttenham, I took an almighty swipe at my ball, only to make the slightest contact with the heel of my club.
Just enough to slowly topple it off the tee peg and it finished about a ½" from the peg in a direct line with me!!
It didn't even go forward!

Yes done that when I first started to play very embarrassing at the times I have done it, yes more than once. I also had a similar experience to yours par 3 185yrds barely made contact just moved it off the tee second shot to six inches made the par lol.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played with a guy last week who is off 12 and on our 4th he swung at the ball, made some sort of contact but somehow managed to find himself playing two from a couple of feet further back. He's not been able to quite live it down yet and may have been mentioned again today in the bar

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a funny a couple of weeks ago- the cub was about 6" inches away from hitting the ball and the ball fell off the tee, the club head just swishing at 100 mph at thin air.
Luckily I remembered the new rule - picked the ball up and the tee and moved to a new location to tee it up again.

I reckon I must have a few when first started playing.