Ever had an air shot on the tee? Come on... 'fess up and banish the memory forever

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Loads of times, just this week gone in fact when playing at Bamburgh Castle GC. Third tee, hit ground behind ball club head and bounced over it, the spray of dirt knocked the ball off the tee.
I re-teed and hit the next attempt wide right into the rough so hit a provisional, couldn't find the first so I was four off the tee.

njt1986

Visit site
Loads of times, just this week gone in fact when playing at Bamburgh Castle GC. Third tee, hit ground behind ball club head and bounced over it, the spray of dirt knocked the ball off the tee.
I re-teed and hit the next attempt wide right into the rough so hit a provisional, couldn't find the first so I was four off the tee.

Yup, usually on tight/awkward fairways I have a tendency to swing while never truly making up my mind what I want to do with it and just completely whiff it

D

Deleted member 23344

Never a complete air shot ... but a number of tops, scuffs and shanks over the years. Haven’t had one for a while, but that doesn’t mean they all go straight down the middle. :LOL:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I wonder if Fish will post on this thread :unsure:

#bestever

Oh go on then, a proper 2 off the tee scenario :eek:

Just started playing, never owned a driver, strong 3w in hand, first Mizuno meet at Frilford Heath and was being filmed, got drawn out to tee off first and was bricking myself...felt I was reaching, but sod it, your getting it.......the 2nd time...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Forum meet at Alwoodley a few years back. Middle of the fairway, think it was the 16th or 17th, with a 7i in hand for a relatively easy approach and somehow managed an airshot. No idea what the hell was going on.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My most embarrassing shot was in Portugal a few years ago. Was trying to hit a mini-driver off the tee. I hit so far behind the ball that the club bounced clean over the ball without touching it. It's fair to say that there was more than a bit of anger in my second shot.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Selbourne, South Africa, 20 years ago. Elevated Tee Shot; for whatever reason I used an iron and missed it completely - 2-off-the-tee

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I've had a good amount of airshots on the fairway, but I don't remember one on the tee. I am well known for my fearsome 3 m tops, though ... they require a lot of precision. :rolleyes:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Tops, skies, shanks, sidewards, backwards, hit it on my practice swing, all sorts. Never quite an air shot though so I must be good!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure I had loads back when I was starting out as a teenager playing with my mum and dad. The only one I can remember in recent memory, since taking up the game again was a couple of years ago at Stanmore. I used to have real problems trying to hit hybrids, and I had this old Benross one in the bag at the time I think. Just swiped and missed it on the 2nd tee I think it was. Was playing with a mate and we just looked at each other for a second in disbelief, then I went back and had another go.

Last weekend I played nine holes with a mate from football who's only taken up the game in the last few months. As a beginner, I think he took at least 4 air shots over the nine holes.

I remember a while back, a 22 (I think) handicapper from our club who I was playing with, total air shot on his 2nd from around 150 yards on a par 4. We all had a bit of a laugh, including him of course, then when he went back for the second attempt he knocked it to about 18 inches and tapped in for par.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Certainly have, twice. Both times at my old club Wrangaton. The wind was absolutely howling on both occasions, well that was my excuse anyway!

D

Deleted member 21258

First shot on a golf course was an air shot.

Have done one recently when in a bush, trying to hit the ball out, caught club on a branch and missed the ball. Luckily those shots don't count towards the score;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't recall - but very nearly had one on the 1st on the Old Course. I think it may only have been the breeze of my driver as it swept past the ball that caused it to move - about 10yds. Fortunately there was hardly a sole around and so I don't think anyone witnessed my embarrassment - other than my three playing companion.

Mitigating circumstances? It was a very chilly, very windy 8am - two days after Christmas and only a few hours after a long night on the uisge beatha.