Ever Felt That You Have to Play Golf

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a thought and probably not one that will find much support on a golf forum but have you ever felt you have to play golf. Having just quit my membership I did not play any golf this weekend. Now, in the past I would have felt some sort of obligation to get out on the course simply because I had paid for it. I only get to play at weekends and so I was wasting my money if I did not get a round in. I think that this was damaging my enjoyment of the game simply because I was going out to play in any weather simply to get value out of my membership costs. I would even get quite grumpy if I did not get a round in because of plans that someone else had made for me.
This weekend, no golf and I was perfectly relaxed about not playing, even enjoyed getting out and doing something different on a Saturday morning. The bad weather is approaching and, again, time off the course would have put me in a bad mood partially because I was wasting my membership.
So, anyone else find themselves going out to play pretty much for the sake of it because they had paid or is everyone pretty relaxed about whether they play or not.
Guess it is probably just me and everyone else either loves every minute on the course.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
nope none, have spells where i play 5 or 6 times a week and practise and other spells where im lucky to play once every 5 or 6 weeks. veering on the latter currently

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The only times that I might feel I "have to" play is when I signed up for a comp and then the weather turns out dreadful on that day. But normally I feel like I am really missing out on something if I don't get to the course at least once a week for a full round and preferrably once or twice for some practice. And if I really do have to skip a week because the course is closed or I'm sick or something, then I do feel bad about it, but not because of the membership fee, but because golf is pretty much the only excercise I get and I feel like a lazy, slouchy couch potato when I don't play.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was for the reasons you describe that I stopped playing cricket a number of years ago. I had played obsessively for many seasons but then started to fall out of love with the game. I can clearly remember finishing a very miserable and cold season by standing in a grey outfield and thinking, "why am I doing this". It has become a routine rather than a pleasure. I stopped and a great weight lifted from my shoulders. I didn't go back and play club cricket again, just the odd knock about works game, and I have never missed it.

The difference with golf is that you don't need to commit to a team every week. You can play as and when you choose, you dip in and out. If it is cold, wet and windy you can say no thanks. You may find you start to enjoy it a little more by playing less.

rosswilliams

Club Champion
Visit site
I had days pre injury where I would play, and wanted to head stright back out once I'd finished. I was definitely bitten by the bug.

Even with the injury, i've been thinking about it way too much and thats probably winding me up more than doing any good right now!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I am not having a round or practicing, I am watching videos or reading books.

total addict.

i am the same with all my hobbies.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would miss the people more than the golf. I have a lot of friends at the golf club, and if I didn't play, I wouldn't see them.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What you need is a broken leg or a bad back or some such.. When you cannot play it really hits home what you are missing. The sun is shining the fairways are running and the greens are smooth, you mates are out there having a laugh and you arnt, that's when it hits you exactly what you love about golf and why you play..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I gave up club membership for over 8yrs and played only once or twice a yr over that period. I'd changed jobs; moved area; very young children; house needing loads of work doing. I had neither money nor time for golf and lots to keep me busy. And I used to play 4-5 times a week in the summer and had done so for years. And once I'd accepted that I wasn't going to be playing it was easy. I was surprised how easy it was. And I didn't miss it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm a total addict although in the winter I can give playing a miss, especially if its pouring or cold but I will find a way to get a golfing fix and hit balls at a range. If I don't get that fix then I do get a golfing withdraw. In the summer I have to play or practice most days as I feel that's when I'm getting true value for money

S17er

Club Champion
Visit site
Sometimes feel that I have to play or practice or my ability will deteriorate but I've had some of my best rounds after not touching a club for 10 days or so.

Last week was first time in ages not been to range mid week. Played on Saturday, arrived late and hit no warm up balls and played to +3.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Only time I got bogged off with the game was when I played five rounds in five days on our trip to Northumberland. The last round at Ripon was a round to far, the course, well the first nine holes just did my head in. I had a quick word with myself and sorted myself out. But twice a week is more than enough without it being a chore. Just love getting out and talking Rammel for 5 hours.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have, but not for the same reasons as the op. Earlier this year I got caught up in a load of nonsense about the antics and attitude of one of my pp's. Things got very silly and I was on the receiving end of some unjustified flak for something that wasn't of my making. It got to the point where I was driving to the club and thinking "why am I doing this?" and not really wanting to go there. Thankfully, the person causing the issues moved on to another club and things returned to normal.

The only other time has been a couple of spells where I've played 5 or 6 days on the bounce. By the end of those spells I was glad to have a couple of days not playing, but after a day or so without even touching a club, I was back to what passes for normal :whistle:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was for the reasons you describe that I stopped playing cricket a number of years ago. I had played obsessively for many seasons but then started to fall out of love with the game. I can clearly remember finishing a very miserable and cold season by standing in a grey outfield and thinking, "why am I doing this". It has become a routine rather than a pleasure. I stopped and a great weight lifted from my shoulders. I didn't go back and play club cricket again, just the odd knock about works game, and I have never missed it.

The difference with golf is that you don't need to commit to a team every week. You can play as and when you choose, you dip in and out. If it is cold, wet and windy you can say no thanks. You may find you start to enjoy it a little more by playing less.

Very similar to this but with football for me.

The last injury I had slogged my guts out for the umpteenth time to get back to playing, back in proper training I knew I was pretty much done as hated it, first game back by about 3 minutes in I knew I'd never set foot on a pitch again and never have after the final whistle that day.

I think that's why I don't practice much at golf Im a bit afraid of taking it too seriously, like I did for too long with football, so I never get to that point where it stops being purely for enjoyment/a laugh and I want to pack it in.......

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Very similar to this but with football for me.

The last injury I had slogged my guts out for the umpteenth time to get back to playing, back in proper training I knew I was pretty much done as hated it, first game back by about 3 minutes in I knew I'd never set foot on a pitch again and never have after the final whistle that day.

I think that's why I don't practice much at golf Im a bit afraid of taking it too seriously, like I did for too long with football, so I never get to that point where it stops being purely for enjoyment/a laugh and I want to pack it in.......

And so it is with me. And when I am on the golf course - and the weather isn't great - and the group in front is slow - and my PPs are faffing around - and I am scoring rubbish - I remind myself that I am VERY fortunate to be in a position to play a game I really enjoy in such beautiful surroundings - and in fact at the simplest level that I am physically able.

Because that could all change tomorrow.

But it would not be the end of the world

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a thought and probably not one that will find much support on a golf forum but have you ever felt you have to play golf. Having just quit my membership I did not play any golf this weekend. Now, in the past I would have felt some sort of obligation to get out on the course simply because I had paid for it. I only get to play at weekends and so I was wasting my money if I did not get a round in. I think that this was damaging my enjoyment of the game simply because I was going out to play in any weather simply to get value out of my membership costs. I would even get quite grumpy if I did not get a round in because of plans that someone else had made for me.
This weekend, no golf and I was perfectly relaxed about not playing, even enjoyed getting out and doing something different on a Saturday morning. The bad weather is approaching and, again, time off the course would have put me in a bad mood partially because I was wasting my membership.
So, anyone else find themselves going out to play pretty much for the sake of it because they had paid or is everyone pretty relaxed about whether they play or not.
Guess it is probably just me and everyone else either loves every minute on the course.

I cant say that I have ever thought in terms of having to play because I have paid for it, its a bit like not going on holiday because you have paid your mortgage imo.

Hopefully golf is something to look forward to not a chore to complete.