Establishing handicap in CONGU system

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was told today, that counting the very first handicap for a player in CONGU system is not done as I would expected. What I thought before is that if I play a course with PAR 72, SSS 71 and I play rounds for handicap e.g. +10, +11, and +12, I would get HCP of 12 (assuming for simplicity that my worst score on a hole was a double bogey). I was told it is not counted like that. It is somehow more complex counting.

Could you please explain how this is counted? Assume that you have no HCP before, it is your very first attempt, you submit 3 cards. What will be the handicap then?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

You enter three cards

The committee will then adjust each card to ensure nothing worse than a double

They would then pick the best score and give you a HC of the score over the SSS of tee

So if you have a par of 71 but 72 SSS and you scored 80 with nothing over a double you would get a HC of 8

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You enter three cards

The committee will then adjust each card to ensure nothing worse than a double

They would then pick the best score and give you a HC of the score over the SSS of tee

So if you have a par of 71 but 72 SSS and you scored 80 with nothing over a double you would get a HC of 8

So, you say the best card out of those 3 counts?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course the Algarythmn changes that were in place for the AR

A nightmare to use ( thankfully we haven't yet )

Only had a brief read of what planned, the worst thing for me is you now wont be able to explain to someone how their handicap is generated, they will just be told its what the system gave them

D

Deleted member 15344

Only had a brief read of what planned, the worst thing for me is you now wont be able to explain to someone how their handicap is generated, they will just be told its what the system gave them

Right now we haven't actually tackled an initial HC yet so need to have a deeper look.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's quite a pleasant surprise :) Thanks.
But I see you are talking here about some changes. Will those new things apply for me if I started today with my first card, or will that old "best card" system apply to me?

Sorry I have given a bit of duff info

Your HC will be adjusted slightly with a formula that they use for annual review

The committee will enter the three scores into their system and that will give you a HC

At a rough guess if your best score for example is 8 worse than the SSS then your HC could be around 7/8 but need to have a look on Monday at the system. But it will be calculated from best score.

So if you start from today and put in a combination of 54 holes then it would be using the new algorithm

http://www.congu.com/DRAFT CONGU MANUAL 2016.pdf

Part 4 page 28

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hmm, tried to read that, but they use term "Adjusted Gross Score", but I failed to find its definition in that document. From that they count Adjusted Gross Differential, which is defined well as
AGD = AGS - SSS

then they count Lowest Adjusted Gross Differential, which seems to be Min(AGD1, AGD2, AGD3) if 3 cards for 18 holes were submitted. Then

Initial Handicap = (LAGD + (LAGD*0.13))/ 1.237 truncated to provide a whole number.

Which is well defined again, but I am really missing what that Adjusted Gross Differential is. Is it that "replace any triple bogey and worse with a double bogey" or is it anything else?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

The AGS is your gross score with nothing above a double bogey

D

Deleted member 15344

And just to make sure - "truncation" operation, is that flooring or rounding? E.g. does 7.8 go to 7 or 8?

It's rounding to the nearest number - so 7.8 gives you a HC of 8

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sorry I have given a bit of duff info

Your HC will be adjusted slightly with a formula that they use for annual review

The committee will enter the three scores into their system and that will give you a HC

At a rough guess if your best score for example is 8 worse than the SSS then your HC could be around 7/8 but need to have a look on Monday at the system. But it will be calculated from best score.

So if you start from today and put in a combination of 54 holes then it would be using the new algorithm

http://www.congu.com/DRAFT CONGU MANUAL 2016.pdf

Part 4 page 28

What hasn't changed, however, is that the figure produced by the calculation is not necessarily the handicap allocated. The Handicap Committee can still change that number after considering all other factors such as previous handicap held in the past and any other factors considered relevant.