Essendon

fade_away

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening all. Anybody a current member of Essendon in Hertfordshire? Considering a change of club and interested in some honest opinions. How easy is it to get on the courses on Sat and Sun mornings? Do they have any roll ups at the weekend? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dad and his wife were members there for a year after Brocket Hall went into administration

Weekends were too busy for him, has a large membership and he found it hard to get a game when he wanted, didnt find it a very welcoming group either (that may have been as a group of them from Brocket joined). Plenty of societies during the week and quite a large amount of seniors but you could fit in and around on the other course usually. He played in the swindles in the week but not at weekends so not sure on that point

He enjoyed the 2 courses and happily still plays them occasionally, didnt enjoy it as much as a club to be a member of though

Where are you currently?

fade_away

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At Welwyn Garden City at the moment. I like the courses at Essendon but don’t know any other members there so would need to join swindles and i ‘normally’ play Sat mornings..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At Welwyn Garden City at the moment. I like the courses at Essendon but don’t know any other members there so would need to join swindles and i ‘normally’ play Sat mornings..

As I say, think Dads views maybe slightly influenced as he joined as part of a group from Brocket and he didnt get what he was used to there (which was often millionaires golf at least on one of the courses), Essendons definitely busy on a weekend morning but then so are most decent courses. Expect hes comparing it to Brocket (albeit it at half the cost). A while since I played them but on what I remember not sure Id go from WGC to Essendon. Good luck with what you choose

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I used to play Essendon quite frequently, but only the original course.

Can't comment on membership aspects (great clubhouse though) but, quite pleasant - reminescent of Foxhils (Hawtree designed)a- course was definitely on the boggy side in winter. I suspect it would have been closed the last couple of weeks! I'd also suspect that, if anything, there'd be more movement of members FROM Essendon TO the likes of WGC than the other way around.

Any course is likely to be a significant 'downward' step from Brocket though! I believe it's open (and perhaps doing deals) for membership again, but my ex-member friend, who lives virtually on its doorstep in Wheathampstead, (somewhat unfortunately) refuses to have anything to do with it.

Centurion is the other course/club in that 'super prestige' category that's nearby.

Last edited:

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m at Brocket still, I went to knebworth when Brocket closed, forget getting a game on sat mornings or roll ups there... very very clicky and the slowest golf I’ve ever seen.
im hoping Brocket aren’t doing deals and I’ve not heard anything to say they are..... slippery slope once that starts. That said, it’s saturated at the moment so I’m not getting any golf in !

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hertford Heath....?

My son lives there and it looks like they started to build a golf club but it like it closed down before it was finished.

Anydody know the story?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have had people join us (brickendon) in the last couple of years from essendon because it was too busy for their liking.

The courses are decent enough, and the plunge pool is a thing of beauty.

fade_away

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two courses is a big plus. The practice facilities at WGC are not the best.
Also not completely happy with the bunker changes (removals) over the last couple of years. The upgraded bunkers are good but too many bunkers being removed.

sunshine

Visit site
One of my friends joined Essendon but left after a couple of years as he found it too busy.

The new owners have done a great job over the last few years, a lot of investment in developing a short game area, range (although it's a bit of a trek), and improvements to the New course. I think they should remove the B greens, waste of time maintaining them.

I actually think the Old course has more character, shame about the weak finishing hole. The huge double green in front of the main house would have been an awesome 9th/18th.

D

Deleted member 15344

We played Essendon a month or so back and it’s going to be a bog , it was very wet in November and that was before the heavy rains

They are nice layouts and it’s a good set up but I wouldn’t move from WGC to there

sunshine

Visit site
The old course was certainly notorious for being a bog for 6 months of the year. The new was constructed with better drainage but at the end of the day it's on clay.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my friends joined Essendon but left after a couple of years as he found it too busy.

The new owners have done a great job over the last few years, a lot of investment in developing a short game area, range (although it's a bit of a trek), and improvements to the New course. I think they should remove the B greens, waste of time maintaining them.

I actually think the Old course has more character, shame about the weak finishing hole. The huge double green in front of the main house would have been an awesome 9th/18th.

In times past when there was just the one course and the clubhouse was the mansion house the double green was the 9th/18th. I can remember playing on a Saturday morning with the course being virtually deserted, a guy in a van used to drive out, have a chat and collect our green fee.

Yes the japanese bath should be available at every course.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The old course was certainly notorious for being a bog for 6 months of the year. The new was constructed with better drainage but at the end of the day it's on clay.

I never had it down as clay.

We play panshanger in winter because it's excellent for winter golf and their close together