England v Pakistan

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
England not following on after bowling Pakistan out for 198.

Disappointing for me. There's rain around, England lead by nearly 400, no bowler bowled more than 16 overs, why be so conservative?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Disappointing for me. There's rain around, England lead by nearly 400, no bowler bowled more than 16 overs, why be so conservative?

Got to make sure it goes to day 4 and preferably day 5 to keep the coffers full ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's good news but I am still unsure why we wouldn't enforce the follow on unless they are scared of the Pakistani spinner in the final innings. Doesn't seem a positive message to give out

The cynic in me says its an ECB decision to ensure the test goes 4 or 5 days. The other option is that Andersen is just back from injury, plenty of cricket ahead, pitch isnt going to improve and could get seriously worse, its actually the safer option

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The cynic in me says its an ECB decision to ensure the test goes 4 or 5 days. The other option is that Andersen is just back from injury, plenty of cricket ahead, pitch isnt going to improve and could get seriously worse, its actually the safer option

I can share the cynicism of wanting to extend the match but surely we have the team to protect a lead and get the runs should we need to bat again?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Some of the comments by the Sky pundits were pathetic over this. England will win the game either way so why not get 150-200 quick runs, rest the bowlers and then finish them off?

The simple solution is to find out whatever Geoff Boycott and Ian Botham think ..... and then do the total opposite.

S

Snelly

Poor decision I thought. The best teams in the world are totally ruthless and England took their foot of the Pakistan throat. Australia in their prime would not have done this.

That said, another ton for Root would be great.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Poor decision I thought. The best teams in the world are totally ruthless and England took their foot of the Pakistan throat. Australia in their prime would not have done this.

yes, at their best the Aussies were totally ruthless, but then saying that they did have two of the best bowlers ever in GM and SW

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

Australia are the only team to have lost a match after enforcing a follow on - three times in all... so maybe they would. :D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
cracking win from England, founded on Root and Cook being 500/2 between them and the bowlers making getting 20 wickets look pretty straight forward, only real negative was Stokes' injury, looks like that may be him done for the test series :( be interesting to see if they try and replace like for like (is there any?) or pick an out and out bowler on the basis we have enough depth in batting already (would love to see woakes get a chance higher up especially the form he appears to be in). Maybe a left field option like Curran, or if they go for an out and out bowler expect its Ball or Finn returning (if they didnt pick 2 spinners at OT hard to see Rashid getting the gig)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Decent performance and a shame about the injury. Will make the next test very interesting. I think we've got the momentum and batsmen in form (Hales and Vince aside). A good chance to try a new bowler perhaps

S

Snelly

A good win. The lack of follow-on showed timidity to our rivals though and I think it was an error of judgement.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Joe Root is the best England batsman I have seen. His footwork is stunning, all the shots, and plays with am elegance not seen since David Gower. Someone that good makes the game look so easy.

On the other hand Hales, Vince and Ballance scratch around in comparison. England need to find a couple of decent batsmen and a spinner, to be the top team in the world.

Great improvement in Woakes as an all-rounder and Bairstow as a batsmen.:thup:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good win. The lack of follow-on showed timidity to our rivals though and I think it was an error of judgement.

They say Old Trafford is hard on the bowlers so having two just return from injury (Anderson and Stokes), they decided to rest them....not that it did Stokes much good. Perhaps in the back of their mind they were also worried should they have needed to chase against the leggy on a day 5 pitch.

That said, there was so much time left in the match it didn't matter a jot what Cook did but the Sky Sports commentators were going way ott in lambasting cook for not declaring. I do agree with them and you in that it would have been nice to see Cook make a statement and be bolder......an England innings victory is a rare thing.

I think Ballance and Vince have what it takes but Hales days might be numbered in the test team......