Pakistan vs England

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
England making good progress this morning despite losing Taylor and Bairstow early. Pleased for Taylor that he's come in and done well. Also good to see Samit Patel making some runs as I didn't think he had it in him at test level.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting position at c.o.p. England seemer bowling well yet the spinners can't tie down an end. Admittedly not helped by continually leaking singles in order to protect their bad balls. Bit odd from Cook. A few early wickets and we're in, but chasing more that 200 and we're done.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ian Bell's closing in breaking the record for the most Test scores of 1 or less in year while Kevin Pietersen is out in South Africa (where England are next month) hitting 115* from 66 balls. #JustSaying

D

Deleted member 15344

Ian Bell's closing in breaking the record for the most Test scores of 1 or less in year while Kevin Pietersen is out in South Africa (where England are next month) hitting 115* from 66 balls. #JustSaying

Wonder how much he is getting paid - Big Bash next then onto IPL then the one in Bangladesh then Windies - chasing the dollar #JustSaying

:whistle: :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Pietersen isn't the answer anymore. He is now just going from one T20 comp to the next spouting his mouth off on any issue going. (The day-night tests being the latest subject) James Taylor is the long term replacement for Bell and, in reality, should replace Bell for the SA series. Ultimately, England are 1 batsman short in the top 5 (if / when Bell goes), possibly 2 as Moeen isn't an opener, but bringing in KP isn't worth it.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big session for England, to use a well worn cliché. If England are to win then Cook, Root and Taylor will need to score most of the runs. Can't seen anyone else doing it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Big session for England, to use a well worn cliché. If England are to win then Cook, Root and Taylor will need to score most of the runs. Can't seen anyone else doing it.

Root and Taylor both out for a combined 8 :confused:

D

Deleted member 15344

That'll teach me to check Cricinfo first!

Good to see Bairstow and Patel dug in to support their captain as well. :mad:

Bairstow was a poor shot , Patel was abit unlucky - bounce is all over the place. Cook and Rashid dug in well so far

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In all likelihood England are going to lose this test and the series but they have acquitted themselves far better than last time in the UAE. England's problems at the moment are that they are 1 opener light, 1 middle order batsman light, without a decent wicket-keeper and the spin department, unsurprisingly, is still fairly bare.

They've done well for a team in transition and with not much else to choose from other than the personnel already out in the UAE.

I'm sure the press will go overboard and Boycott will come out with his apocalyptic summary whilst blathering on about in his day!

D

Deleted member 15344

In all likelihood England are going to lose this test and the series but they have acquitted themselves far better than last time in the UAE. England's problems at the moment are that they are 1 opener light, 1 middle order batsman light, without a decent wicket-keeper and the spin department, unsurprisingly, is still fairly bare.

They've done well for a team in transition and with not much else to choose from other than the personnel already out in the UAE.

I'm sure the press will go overboard and Boycott will come out with his apocalyptic summary whilst blathering on about in his day!

Agree in regards Opener

I would like to see Ali moved down and Taylor at Three
WK - Think Buttler behind the stumps has been very good - no issues with that - the problem has been his batting. Bairstow in this test missed a crucial stumping but solid with the bat first innings. Buttler should come back and possibly Bairstow in the middle order. Patel well shouldnt be able to bowl another ball in test cricket - never good enough. But its not all bad - very unlucky in the first test and nearly got away with in the second - shame we never won a toss. Could have been different then

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Woke up expecting a good chase...:eek: Looks like it will be all over by the time I submit this post!

I think we've done well in this series. Just pockets of time in 2nd and 3rd test where we've failed to perform and it has cost us. Toss has been a factor, but not a big one.

Bell time should be up. He is stuck on the crease and it being found out. Agree that Taylor is his natural replacement. Ali is clinging on - not an opener and not good enough as spinner. Patel - if he's our new answer as the all rounder, then I'm still available :mad:. Rashid has promise. Buttler I'm not keen on - his batting isn't up to it at present. We've got a decent side, with, I think, at least two, if not three, slots available to be nailed down. We'll have our chance for revenge next summer v Pakistan, on hopefully seaming wickets! SA next...:eek:

D

Deleted member 15344

Woke up expecting a good chase...:eek: Looks like it will be all over by the time I submit this post!

I think we've done well in this series. Just pockets of time in 2nd and 3rd test where we've failed to perform and it has cost us. Toss has been a factor, but not a big one.

Bell time should be up. He is stuck on the crease and it being found out. Agree that Taylor is his natural replacement. Ali is clinging on - not an opener and not good enough as spinner. Patel - if he's our new answer as the all rounder, then I'm still available :mad:. Rashid has promise. Buttler I'm not keen on - his batting isn't up to it at present. We've got a decent side, with, I think, at least two, if not three, slots available to be nailed down. We'll have our chance for revenge next summer v Pakistan, on hopefully seaming wickets! SA next...:eek:

I cant see them dropping Bell for SA though - he has a decent record against them and does better with the ball coming on to him. Next summer i would expect Taylor to move up to three - unless they bomb him out again.

Certainly need an opener - who ? Well i still would bring Compton back but dont think that will happen and expect Hales to be given a chance and then when they see his natural game isnt suited as an opener in tests they will bomb him out as well.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cant see them dropping Bell for SA though - he has a decent record against them and does better with the ball coming on to him. Next summer i would expect Taylor to move up to three - unless they bomb him out again.

Certainly need an opener - who ? Well i still would bring Compton back but dont think that will happen and expect Hales to be given a chance and then when they see his natural game isnt suited as an opener in tests they will bomb him out as well.

Opener candidates are slim. Hales I was all for but there's still doubt over his technique at test level. Agree that he's next in line though. Compton is a 'gooder' choice as any. I didn't think Robson or Lyth were up to it, Carberry a bit flakey. Door is open for someone...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Opener candidates are slim. Hales I was all for but there's still doubt over his technique at test level. Agree that he's next in line though. Compton is a 'gooder' choice as any. I didn't think Robson or Lyth were up to it, Carberry a bit flakey. Door is open for someone...

Luther looked out of his depth. Trouble is there doesn't seem much out there ready to step up. Compton must be worth a go

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good result for England yesterday. Pleased for Alex Hales as its been a difficult start to his ODI career. Hopefully this will give him some confidence.