England football

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Play the in form players in the favoured positions and give them license to express themselves we might have a chance of progressing further than we normally do. Try and shoe horn in the 11 alleged best players, based mostly on what they did several seasons ago, and we will revert to form. Simples really.

D

Deleted member 15344

Looks like Butland won't be going though - fractured ankle out for 3 months

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The intensity that the op memtioned is what teams like leicester and spurs played with when they battered city. Odd thing is that an overused cliche when describing a subbed player is " well he put a shift in ". Which means he run around like an headless div. but v Germany it was a night where everyone brought a controlled energy to the team. Watching England press high up the field in packs was excellent. Similar again to when City did it V Kiev. Incidentally i know there are not many Delph fans. But he would fit into that style of play very well.
Re Rooney hes a red and i would love to bash him but apart from being a granma shaggin shrek. He dont deserve the flak he is getting. If he was playing and doin nowt then i could understand, but his goals and contribution during the qualifiers enables woy to play that game the other night.
Said to my lad when England qualified that looking forward to the finals as there is no pressure. The result the other night may well have upped the pressure of expectation a little bit. Like i said the other night when watching the game on German tv station. They dis not like being beat at all and in post match interviews they all looked a little shocked.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's always good to beat the Germans!

I didn't see the game, I have do desire to watch England in any games that do really matter, and I include qualifiers in this, but according to most reports our defense looks fragile. If this is the case, I'd take JT to marshall it and to inject a shed load of passion, which defenses require. That done, I'd be hopeful of a semi final game. Otherwise, it will be home early, AGAIN !

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's all I want from my teams (Fulham and England). Win lose or draw, at least put a shift in and be proud to wear the shirt

Ditto this.

I was surprised, and pleased, to learn that the England team do not get payments for playing for England anymore. Well they do but donate it to charity.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
That's all I want from my teams (Fulham and England). Win lose or draw, at least put a shift in and be proud to wear the shirt

Really? Don't you want a bit of flair, a bit of skill, a bit of technical competence? The attitude of lauding players who 'put in a shift' has set up back ages on the international stage and IMHO is a big reason why we now get beaten at most tournaments by teams with much less well known but technically better players.

All we seemed to value were players who can run for 90 minutes, and we treated any player with technical skill with suspicion. Look at the way we treated players like Hoddle, Le Tissier and even Scholes who was shifted around the mid field and often marooned on the left wing because he wasn't just 'box to box'. When he had more skill and a footballing brain than Lampard and Gerrard ever had. Xavi said he was the best central midfield player he's seen in 20 years, yet he struggled to ever play in his best position for England.

For me you can keep your 'putting in a shift', give me players who are comfortable on the ball and don't hoof it up front after the second pass any day.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I kind think we select on previous form, there are players that played for England when they were past their best. We are too conservative normally, I like that we are now seeing new players. If Rooney doesn't go, I wouldn't be disappointed. I think these new guys are hungry, a travesty would be to leave Vardy out. I believe you should have in form players and if possible taking units. By this I mean players who play week in week out with each other. They have an understanding.
At this moment I love the way Liverpool are playing and watching Lallana play is fantastic, Milner would work as well, Sturridge is rusty and has yet to gel in this Liverpool game.
Spurs, well they are playing beautifully as well Alli, Dier and Kane, no brainer take them.
I think Wellbeck looked a little lost, but he needs time with these players and we will see him deliver.
Defencively who knows, premier league football is turning into basketball.

JoeR161

www.golfforecast.co.uk
The starting 11 that should start the first game

Hart

Clynne
Stones
Cahill
Rose

Dier
Henderson

Alli
Barkley
Vardy/Welbeck

Kane

It would be a brave bright attacking line up that if given license to play could do well - but there is a massive soft centre with the CB , Rooney will start so either they play two up top with Vardy missing out.

After Vardy's beauty, I'd definitely start him in front of Welbeck - superhuman!

[video=youtube;yruTbpJSO6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yruTbpJSO6M[/video]

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really? Don't you want a bit of flair, a bit of skill, a bit of technical competence? The attitude of lauding players who 'put in a shift' has set up back ages on the international stage and IMHO is a big reason why we now get beaten at most tournaments by teams with much less well known but technically better players.

All we seemed to value were players who can run for 90 minutes, and we treated any player with technical skill with suspicion. Look at the way we treated players like Hoddle, Le Tissier and even Scholes who was shifted around the mid field and often marooned on the left wing because he wasn't just 'box to box'. When he had more skill and a footballing brain than Lampard and Gerrard ever had. Xavi said he was the best central midfield player he's seen in 20 years, yet he struggled to ever play in his best position for England.

For me you can keep your 'putting in a shift', give me players who are comfortable on the ball and don't hoof it up front after the second pass any day.

I would hope that we'd get that on the pitch. At Fulham many players over the years, (Best, Marsh, Houghton, Davis, The Europa Cup squad, McCormack and many many more) have all provided unforgettable moments. You wouldn't call our 13 years in the PL as spectacular but we beat most of the big teams home and away at some stage and normally did enough to find a way to stay up. A lot fo time that relied on players doing their role and sticking to the game plan. I was happy enough with that.

Mind you when you've seen the other end of the wedge and players that were nothing more than random direction generators for the ball and strikers that can't score if their life lived on it, those that thought they were bigger than the club and hid for ninety minutes all in bastions of football like Southend, Halifax, Stockport and Hartlepool, I guess you are happy just to see those wanting to play for the club and do their best on the pitcj

D

Deleted member 16999

Happy for Roy to make 11 changes to the team from the other night, if he's going to put people in a squad he needs to see them and they need to get a chance, (result irrelevant) then when he gets to pick the 11 for the Russia match, barring injuries, he will then be picking HIS first 11 and he will sink or swim by results, no excuses,

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Happy for Roy to make 11 changes to the team from the other night, if he's going to put people in a squad he needs to see them and they need to get a chance, (result irrelevant) then when he gets to pick the 11 for the Russia match, barring injuries, he will then be picking HIS first 11 and he will sink or swim by results, no excuses,

Spot on. Irrespective of how good or bad the opposition has been in the last 18 months his teams have delivered the goods.

Hopefully he'll pick a squad for the championships that reflects the maturing youngsters in English football.

Looking forward to the Euros more than any other tournament since the golden boys bombed out a couple of World Cups back.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Looked to me like Scotland are going to be playing the reigning European Champions in the WC qualies - no bother. We'll just tie England in knots - or would that be stitches...

D

Deleted member 16999

I'll take that result and performance, decent display at times and hopefully put some of the media back in their box.

U

User62651

Didnt see the game but a narrow home defeat wont do Englands Euro chances any harm, if they'd followed up the win in Germany with a 3-0 win over the Dutch the expectation levels and pressure on the players would have gone through the roof. There is a really good crop of players coming through for England from Spurs and Leicester in particular and I think they'll go well this summer, think the French might be too strong for everyone on home turf though.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll take that result and performance, decent display at times and hopefully put some of the media back in their box.

Looked like some of the same old same old with a few changes. To me it showed Stones, Walker, Milner, Sturridge and Lalana shouldn't start. I like Vardy and Kane up top, they defend from the front like a good, pressing team should.

D

Deleted member 16999

Looked like some of the same old same old with a few changes. To me it showed Stones, Walker, Milner, Sturridge and Lalana shouldn't start. I like Vardy and Kane up top, they defend from the front like a good, pressing team should.
Yep, not as good as the media and some people were saying, glimpses of decent football were there, still work in progress and will be interesting how he uses the last few friendlies.