England football

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
rooney has more caps than Vardy and Kane. Would you pick Rooney?
I'm not jump pumping to conclusions at all. His response could simply have been. I will play for England as long as I'm needed. That clears it all up.

Instead he left it open to a debate. You have one opinion I have another. But it appears that as soon as you feel you can't beat someone onto submission you walk away.

I I noticed you were relatively quiet last night. Did it hurt not having a stick to beat Roy about the comeback.....

D

Deleted member 15344

rooney has more caps than Vardy and Kane. Would you pick Rooney?
I'm not jump pumping to conclusions at all. His response could simply have been. I will play for England as long as I'm needed. That clears it all up.

Instead he left it open to a debate. You have one opinion I have another. But it appears that as soon as you feel you can't beat someone onto submission you walk away.

I I noticed you were relatively quiet last night. Did it hurt not having a stick to beat Roy about the comeback.....

I didn't watch most of the game so not sure what you wanted me to say ? I can't win then - told I can't comment because I'm not an England fan but now you're looking for me to comment ?

And i walked away because there is nothing more to say - you have posted your conclusions from his comments where I have posted exactly what he has said without wild conclusions.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You don't watch every premiership game and yet make plenty of comments.....

I haven't made any wild conclusions. He has said he would consider retirement has he not? Why would a 30 yr old player with all the credentials you list even contemplate it? He should be fighting his corner. But as you say we disagree on this. So no point us both getting a headache

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can't be serious about Walcott being in the squad instead of wellbeck.wellbeck looking sharp since return, Walcott just offers nothing IMO. Poor delivery decisions touch finishing

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You can't be serious about Walcott being in the squad instead of wellbeck.wellbeck looking sharp since return, Walcott just offers nothing IMO. Poor delivery decisions touch finishing

I think Walcott would play more wing where he would be better than welbeck. Don't think Welbeck should get a look in as a striker.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would take those that started upfront and really not sure about Rooney. How long is he out for and is he really going to be match fit by then? Still worried about the back four whichever way you try and fill it. Not convinced by Smalling at all. Thought Dier in a holding role in front was a good move and we looked more solid

D

Deleted member 16999

I think Walcott would play more wing where he would be better than welbeck. Don't think Welbeck should get a look in as a striker.
If players stayed fit, I wouldn't have Welbeck or Walcott starting, I wouldn't take Rooney unless he proves his fitness.
Most of us woukd probably have the same 7-8 in our first 11 and 15-16 of the squad, taking the three above in the squad wouldn't bother me, all have the ability of contributing and if that's from the bench in the last 10-15 minutes then good.
Phils point on himself will be the same for Roy, he won't get it right with everyone and someone will critisize whatever he does.

D

Deleted member 15344

Rooney should go if fit - no doubt about that. Whether he starts is a different question but Rooney is one of the top 4 strikers available alongside Sturridge , Kane and Vardy

Welbeck provides an option across the front three if the manager goes down that route and scores international goals - he will also go IMO

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If players stayed fit, I wouldn't have Welbeck or Walcott starting, I wouldn't take Rooney unless he proves his fitness.
Most of us woukd probably have the same 7-8 in our first 11 and 15-16 of the squad, taking the three above in the squad wouldn't bother me, all have the ability of contributing and if that's from the bench in the last 10-15 minutes then good.
Phils point on himself will be the same for Roy, he won't get it right with everyone and someone will critisize whatever he does.

How much longer is Rooney out for? I know we have 5-6 more England games before June but will he really get enough games to be fully match fit and won't there be concerns of the condition of the knee. While you cannot knock the goal scoring record and so probably has to be in the squad, is he a risk to be in the starting XI?

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How much longer is Rooney out for? I know we have 5-6 more England games before June but will he really get enough games to be fully match fit and won't there be concerns of the condition of the knee. While you cannot knock the goal scoring record and so probably has to be in the squad, is he a risk to be in the starting XI?
If he proves his fitness even if it's the final game before squad announced he will be in the squad much like Wilshere. Must take players that are 100% fit.
Whether he makes the starting line up is a tough one.based on last nights performance I would hope not.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

If everyone is fit I wouldn't take Rooney. My four attackers would be Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Welbeck, in that order. If Rooney has a late season surge, form and fitness, I'd drop Welbeck.

D

Deleted member 15344

If everyone is fit I wouldn't take Rooney. My four attackers would be Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Welbeck, in that order. If Rooney has a late season surge, form and fitness, I'd drop Welbeck.

Wouldn't you take all 5 and have Welbeck instead of Walcott ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If he proves his fitness even if it's the final game before squad announced he will be in the squad much like Wilshere. Must take players that are 100% fit.
Whether he makes the starting line up is a tough one.based on last nights performance I would hope not.

I'd agree with that. Think he has to go if he can prove his fitness (no room for passengers - we've been there before haven't we?) but shouldn't start. Not a bad sub to bring on mind

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I understand the suggestion to take people based on form but there will probably only be 16-17 players who get a game. For me those remaining six spots should be filled with players with potential that you would expect to be in the World cup squad. Being at a tournament is a very different experience and having a chance to familiarise themselves with it will help them in the future. That is why for me players like Stones/Delph have to go even if they don't play and why taking Jagielka/Milner is a little pointless. Personally I wouldn't take Wilshere as he is never fit give him the summer off to work on strengthening his chocolate ankles.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Wouldn't you take all 5 and have Welbeck instead of Walcott ?

No, I wouldn't take Walcott anyway. And I disagree with playing players out of position. If you want a versatile wide man, Milner all day and twice on Sunday's. Hugely underrated player. Might not have the fizz that some have but he'll never let you down.

Disappointed with his comments though. In the run up to a major tournament, ambiguous comments are naïve at best. With his maturity he should know better.

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I would like to see a match of your current team vs. what was always called the 'golden generation'. These young guys would give them a run for their money, I think.

What Jogi has done in Germany is taking the best team made of 23 players, rather than the best 23 players (got that wrong yesterday! Podolski, really? Germany's Heskey). Hodgson yesterday had 14 (15?) players on the pitch who all were part of a team, and all worked for it. Nobody behaved like they were a star.
Does a Rooney play the way? Would he need to or want to? Is a brilliant move of him worth 90 minutes of Kane's work? Is he happy as a sub? If he would be happy to come in late and play for 15 to 20 minutes I would take him.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would like to see a match of your current team vs. what was always called the 'golden generation'. These young guys would give them a run for their money, I think.

What Jogi has done in Germany is taking the best team made of 23 players, rather than the best 23 players (got that wrong yesterday! Podolski, really? Germany's Heskey). Hodgson yesterday had 14 (15?) players on the pitch who all were part of a team, and all worked for it. Nobody behaved like they were a star.
Does a Rooney play the way? Would he need to or want to? Is a brilliant move of him worth 90 minutes of Kane's work? Is he happy as a sub? If he would be happy to come in late and play for 15 to 20 minutes I would take him.
Podolski has 48 goals in 120 odd games for Germany. Hardly in Heskeys 'league' :whistle:

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wow! England win a meaningless friendly and suddenly everyone thinks they`re world beaters.:rolleyes:
Lets see what happens in the Euro`s before you lot cream your pants.
Remember the World Cup? The previous Euro`s? Rubbish.