England football

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well after IMO was probably England's best performances probably since their last win in Germany there is lots of talk about the squad, who should be in and not.
Rooney's has taken a lot of stick on twitter about how Woy should not be considering him to start which I do agree with, but should he be in the squad if fit. Wilshere seems to have a place without kicking a ball all season.

There was an intensity and tempo and quality about England last night which bodes well, but lets not get carried away.
Defensively we still looked a bit fragile, but we look like we can score goals.

So Rooney in the squad? Should he start? We look to have a lot of midfieders vying for positions so some are going to miss out.

Who would be your team to face Russia in the first game of the Euros.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Personally I'm worried. I fear that Hodgson will pack the squad with the wrong players. Last night was a clear indication that we need to look to the future. We should be looking at the World Cup not this tournament. Personally I'd take

Hart, Butland, Forster
Clyne, Walker
Cresswell, ???
Stones, Smalling, Cahill, ???
Dier, Henderson, Delph
Alli, Barkley, Walcott, Sterling
Vardy, Welbeck, Sturridge, Kane, Rooney

But instead he'll take the likes of Jones, Jagielka, Milner, Carrick etc...

D

Deleted member 15344

Personally I'm worried. I fear that Hodgson will pack the squad with the wrong players. Last night was a clear indication that we need to look to the future. We should be looking at the World Cup not this tournament. Personally I'd take

Hart, Butland, Forster
Clyne, Walker
Cresswell, ???
Dier, Henderson, Delph

Players like Milner provides so much cover and depth the squad needs him - would play him every day over Delph.

Don't think Walcott should go and would put Drinkwater in but don't think he will.

Jagielka should go - very thin choice at CB

And Baines and Rose as the LB

The starting 11 that should start the first game

Hart

Clynne
Stones
Cahill
Rose

Dier
Henderson

Alli
Barkley
Vardy/Welbeck

Kane

It would be a brave bright attacking line up that if given license to play could do well - but there is a massive soft centre with the CB , Rooney will start so either they play two up top with Vardy missing out.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hart, Butland, Forster
Clyne, Walker
Cresswell, ???
Dier, Henderson, Delph

Why take Stones? He's having a shocking season, Jags is playing far better than him and he's better at the moment.
To me we should wait till the last minute and take the best 22 Roy chooses, so long as they are proven fit.
We then judge him on the Euro's

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why take Stones? He's having a shocking season, Jags is playing far better than him and he's better at the moment.
To me we should wait till the last minute and take the best 22 Roy chooses, so long as they are proven fit.

The same should be said about Walcott.Having a shocking season and thats from an Arsenal fan.Sterling not sure either. I thought Danny Rose played really well. Stones IMO is a class act.

D

Deleted member 16999

The same should be said about Walcott.Having a shocking season and thats from an Arsenal fan.Sterling not sure either. I thought Danny Rose played really well. Stones IMO is a class act.

I'm an Everton fan and Stones was superb last year, whether all the hype over value or just his age, this season has been nowhere near were he was last season, obviously hope he does recapture his form and stays with us.

I'm all for taking players on form and for me Jags is better than Stones right now.

Whether it's Hodgson or anyone else, the England managers job is a poison chalice and he/they will never please everyone.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm an Everton fan and Stones was superb last year, whether all the hype over value or just his age, this season has been nowhere near were he was last season, obviously hope he does recapture his form and stays with us.

I'm all for taking players on form and for me Jags is better than Stones right now.

Whether it's Hodgson or anyone else, the England managers job is a poison chalice and he/they will never please everyone.

Stones is a quality player - right now he is ability wise the best CB but form has taken a massive hit - needs to find a way to get that back before the end of the season. Him and Jagelkia would be a solid pair.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He's a defender playing for a manager that doesn't want/know how to defend. A different coach could have him back to his best in no time

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The same should be said about Walcott.Having a shocking season and thats from an Arsenal fan.Sterling not sure either. I thought Danny Rose played really well. Stones IMO is a class act.[/QU

Defensively we are short on quality in the centre half position so although Stones is going through a rocky!! patch he is still one of the best we have. Im surprised Hodgson has not considered Wes Morgan at Leicester who has been phenomenal this season.
We do have a lot of quality midfielders so should pick those who play regularly and play well. Sterling Walcott and Milner not for me.

D

Deleted member 16999

He's a defender playing for a manager that doesn't want/know how to defend. A different coach could have him back to his best in no time
Same manager last year and the year before who gave him the chance!
Not doubting his ability, he's off form, Coleman, Jags, Funes Mori none of them have struggled with the same manager.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Seen an interview with Milner due to consider his Intl career after euros. Why? Because he wants guarantees over his role. Well for me that shows enough about his desire. Thanks but no thanks would be my response now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Seen an interview with Milner due to consider his Intl career after euros. Why? Because he wants guarantees over his role. Well for me that shows enough about his desire. Thanks but no thanks would be my response now.

Did you actually read what he said - actually think its pretty good and shows he isnt just thinking of himself

'I don't know really, I can see pluses and minuses for both and you probably get criticised either way whichever way you take it,' he said when asked if he would be tempted to walk away from international football before dropping out of contention.

'I think that is a conversation I will probably have with the manager at the start of next season.

'I don't want to be travelling around and not really contributing and being a good tourist. I want to contribute and if the manager sees I have a part to play then great and if not it is better for me to set aside and let younger guys travel around.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Did you actually read what he said - actually think its pretty good and shows he isnt just thinking of himself

'I don't know really, I can see pluses and minuses for both and you probably get criticised either way whichever way you take it,' he said when asked if he would be tempted to walk away from international football before dropping out of contention.

'I think that is a conversation I will probably have with the manager at the start of next season.

'I don't want to be travelling around and not really contributing and being a good tourist. I want to contribute and if the manager sees I have a part to play then great and if not it is better for me to set aside and let younger guys travel around.

So he's willing to contribute and help the youngsters whilst it's a nice close venue like France. But won't help them same youngsters travelling further afield. Nope. If he's contemplating retirement already. Let him get in with it now. Even discussing it now before the tournament is a distraction.

Wheres his his conviction that he's good enough. Personally I'm not sure he'd be in my squad anyway. Jack of all trades. He'll work hard but not someone for us to pin our chances hopes on.

D

Deleted member 15344

So he's willing to contribute and help the youngsters whilst it's a nice close venue like France. But won't help them same youngsters travelling further afield. Nope. If he's contemplating retirement already. Let him get in with it now. Even discussing it now before the tournament is a distraction.

Wheres his his conviction that he's good enough. Personally I'm not sure he'd be in my squad anyway. Jack of all trades. He'll work hard but not someone for us to pin our chances hopes on.

I don't recall anywhere in the interview where he made the distinction between the distances of where they travel.

Thought it was quite clear - he says if Hodgson sees a role for him and he will be involved then he will continue but if the manager wants to focus on the younger players then he will step aside considering he is coming into the later years of his career.

There is no distraction beyond making a mountain out of a molehill.

As for him in the squad now - I dont think there is one squad where every player is "someone you pin your hopes on" but then each squad will have a good mix and each squad will have senior plays who can fulfill multiple roles both on and off the pitch - that's Milner who will work to the bone for the team when he goes on the pitch. He maybe just a squad player but he is an important one.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don't recall anywhere in the interview where he made the distinction between the distances of where they travel.

Thought it was quite clear - he says if Hodgson sees a role for him and he will be involved then he will continue but if the manager wants to focus on the younger players then he will step aside considering he is coming into the later years of his career.

There is no distraction beyond making a mountain out of a molehill.

As for him in the squad now - I dont think there is one squad where every player is "someone you pin your hopes on" but then each squad will have a good mix and each squad will have senior plays who can fulfill multiple roles both on and off the pitch - that's Milner who will work to the bone for the team when he goes on the pitch. He maybe just a squad player but he is an important one.

If every player was fit at the end of the season I wouldn't have him near the squad. I would pick 23 players that are the best I. Their positions. You have enough options with a squad that big that someone's versatility shouldn't need to be considered. Is he in our best 2/3 cm. Nope. Our best 2/3 wingers. Nope. So I wouldn't take him.

As as to the travels. That's all part of it. Imo, I read it that he's said if he is still an important squad player he will happily go. If he's only fringe then he won't. So the point he makes about helping the youngsters is a red herring. Some players say they'll play through and do whatever they can to help. And some jump ship as soon as that aren't likely to feature as they decide its not worth the effort.

For me he is in the second. Things have changed. But for me. You play for England as long as you are selected. The manager should make the choice. Not the player. Maybe if the player is 36/37. But not at 30 years old. He ain't doing it to further he's career like Gerrard did. He's doing it as he doesn't want to make the effort.

Hart, Forster, butland.

Rose, Bertrand, Cahill, jagielka, Smalling, stones, walker, clyne

dier, Ali, Henderson, wilshere, Barkley, sterling, Lallana,

rooney, Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Walcott.

For me. That squad doesn't need Milner. Or his experience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

If every player was fit at the end of the season I wouldn't have him near the squad. I would pick 23 players that are the best I. Their positions. You have enough options with a squad that big that someone's versatility shouldn't need to be considered. Is he in our best 2/3 cm. Nope. Our best 2/3 wingers. Nope. So I wouldn't take him.

As as to the travels. That's all part of it. Imo, I read it that he's said if he is still an important squad player he will happily go. If he's only fringe then he won't. So the point he makes about helping the youngsters is a red herring. Some players say they'll play through and do whatever they can to help. And some jump ship as soon as that aren't likely to feature as they decide its not worth the effort.

For me he is in the second. Things have changed. But for me. You play for England as long as you are selected. The manager should make the choice. Not the player. Maybe if the player is 36/37. But not at 30 years old. He ain't doing it to further he's career like Gerrard did. He's doing it as he doesn't want to make the effort.

So you are not actually reading what he says and jumping to conclusions then - he did have it right when he said some would look to critisize.

He didn't say anything about being an "important player" or fringe etc- he says being "involved" the distinction is quite clear .

You have made wild conclusions from an innocent interview - he can't win - you don't think he should be picked and when he says he might retire he gets slated ?!

As for Milners abilities and importance - there must be some reason why he has constantly been picked for both club and country despite more talented players around - there must be something these manager throughout his career see that means he is involved in the squad even when everyone is fit - nearly 60 caps now and been in the squad the last three tournaments so either he is blagging it or the managers see something you don't.

And you put Wilshire in along with other mids where i think Milner has more caps combined than the lot ? On that note ill leave you too it.

Last edited by a moderator: