End of year report

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a tricky one for me.

If I were to rate my golf game I'd give it a C at best. I think there's a better golfer in there, but since joining a new club just prior to covid has meant that I've played in minimal comps. This has led to not really making as much of a move on the handicap as I'd of hoped.

If I were to rate my golfing year. It's an A. I've missed out on multple trips, but felt I played well on all of the ones that went ahead. Have also ended the year with the significant upper hand against the old man!

For 2021 have got loads of trips planned, and hope to get to 10. I don't really see myslef ever getting any lower tbh as golf was never really my sport and if I'm honest. I'm pretty chuffed I have got to a point where I don't get shots on every hole.

I'd see you getting lower. Princes, for me is a harder test than Canterbury so you were always going to have to improve to keep the same handicap but I'd say that Princes is a fair place to play, true greens, wider fairways and you'll do ok when you can play regularly imo

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'd see you getting lower. Princes, for me is a harder test than Canterbury so you were always going to have to improve to keep the same handicap but I'd say that Princes is a fair place to play, true greens, wider fairways and you'll do ok when you can play regularly imo
My handicap was at Broome....
But I think that place is easier too.

JJust recalled I hit 76 at etchinghill mid summer. So I'm upgrading my year to a B!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’d give it an A from a golfing experience point of view.
Joined Ellesborough and was then furloughed for 7 months, so once the courses reopened I was playing 4 times a week.
It’s not an easy course and handicap went up, but then I started to improve and the HC should have started dropping, but LD 2 then 3 kicked in just at the wrong time, WHS has given me an extra bunch of shots which I need to tackle.

The undoubted highlight of the year was the forum tripto Islay and Kintyre in early October, it was a little bit of golfing heaven and we were so lucky it happened at all.

Other highlights were a round at Swinley with Paul, a round at Princes with Dave Papas, Dando & Charlie.
Played at Hindhead, with my society, what a lovely course and Bearwood at the H4H day

A golfing weekend in Norfolk moved to May 2021

I have now gone back to full time work, so am limited to weekends and after work in the summer, at least for a few more years until I decide to retire or go part time ?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Having only had a couple of rounds a year over the last four years or so the pandemic and lockdown actually brought me back to golf.

Walks on the course with the missus during the 'one hour of outdoor exercise' times made me really want to have a hit and I got a season ticket for the shorter of our two courses - Was much better than I expected at the start and over the summer I hit my driver better than I ever have in my life, if only I could putt.

From the end of May till end of September I played lots more days than not and loved it - had good and bad spells but never thought it was a chore being out there.

We also had a couple of trips to play courses we'd never sampled before (Kirriemuir and The Strathtyrum at St Andrews) and enjoyed them both.

My work life has changed a lot and the company i work for seem to have come to realise that we don't need to be in the office to be effective at our jobs. I don't think I'll be commuting for an hour each way on a regular basis again so it's much easier to fit in golf - in 2021 I'll have a season ticket for both courses, already looking forward to summer evenings on the links.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Worked throughout the year so only managed that short period in the summer between lockdowns and weekends. Only managed H4H but what a great day given the circumstances so a massive thanks again to everyone that was involved in putting it on.

From a golf perspective I won another major, a better ball that I have won before. Started at 14 and now 11.6 so definitely moving the right. Putting well with a lot of work (although choice of putter still fluctuates) and seen some progress again with the short game.

I am also managing to get more out of the poorer rounds and what would have been a 24-25 point round is now 28-29 so that has been a plus. All in all I'd put it at B or B+

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have almost nothing to report and can’t even submit for grading.

Played one new course twice (Dumbarnie, brilliant but slightly tainted by poor weather) and submitted one qualifying score. I’ve played less than 10 rounds in total this year and was pretty shoddy in them all save for a handful of birdies.

Covid, family, work, and weather, mostly the poor weekend weather, have conspired in such as way as to give me very few opportunities to play.

D

Deleted member 17920

I have almost nothing to report and can’t even submit for grading.

Played one new course twice (Dumbarnie, brilliant but slightly tainted by poor weather) and submitted one qualifying score. I’ve played less than 10 rounds in total this year and was pretty shoddy in them all save for a handful of birdies.

Covid, family, work, and weather, mostly the poor weekend weather, have conspired in such as way as to give me very few opportunities to play.
Muirfield cough cough ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Overall probably a B+ for me.

Another lockdown golfer here - played fairly sporadically the past couple of years but never that seriously and never scored properly ( plenty of mulligans and the like).

This year got really into it and went from breaking 100 being a good score for me to being a bit miffed if I wasn't breaking 90. But generally scoring in the low 90s.

Joined 2 clubs - one prior to moving house, one since and loving having regular golf available to me. Also discovered I really enjoy a round by myself of a sunny evening.

However, I did think I'd perhaps pick it up a bit easier once I started taking it more seriously. Turns out Golf is pretty hard!

Next year my aim is to get down to about 12 or so through more consistent golf (basically stop getting triples) and lessons, and to start playing comps.

Also got my first golf holiday to look forward to, the west coast of Scotland. Cannae wait!

D

Deleted member 17920

Can’t really grumble too much I guess for a bizarre year.

My golf is as average as ever.

Still managed to get some new courses ticked off my list

Gullane, Dunbar, Muirfield, Dukes Course St Andrews, Dunbarnie twice, aldeburgh, royal Worlington, St Enedoch, the Warwickshire and the delightful Knole Park

The highlight of my year has to be the Islay Kintyre trip.

Shiskine, The Machrie, machrahanish and dunes and the lovely little Dunaverty all new courses for me.

Oh my days. The weather awesome the courses sublime. My golf just cack ?

Managed to get a couple of games on The Old Course as well so not too bad either ? and played a few courses I have played before.

Biggest disappointment was turning down a complete freebie for the west course at Wentworth. I am hoping I get it again next year.

Still with the courses I have played it’s an A+ year.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Probably a B+ thanks to having joined Moortown this time last year. Played more golf than ever due to new membership, redundancy and catching up with old mates, who wanted a cheap round somewhere nice, which was the best bit. Any trip was cancelled but never been more pleased to just play - sounds a cliche but true for once - and hoping to fit in some trips to ‘celebrate’ 50th. Bucket list a few days in St Andrews and/or Dornoch.

High point - getting rid of the Chipper
Low point - getting rid of the Chipper because I could no longer use it

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say a B for me.

Was playing 5 or 6 times a week whilst on furlough until the end of July, which led to more consistency. Handicap dropped from 22 to 19 (HI of 17.1).

Managed to play in a few opens at Robin Hood, Sherwood Forest, Cosby, Hinckley and Beedles Lake and enjoyed forum meets at Coventry, Sonning and Bearwood Lakes.

My expensive putting lessons last Winter mean that the putts are definitely more on line, but not being able to use the putting green other than for ten minutes before a round meant that I’ve not been able to practice this as much as I wanted. What has surprised me though is that I’ve only been on the range once and overall my ball striking has improved.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
A - The most golf I’ve played in a year circa 100 rounds, have played some new courses too - Ganton being the most recent. Long weekend in Marbella just prior to lockdown, followed by an Algarve trip in summer. Got my first HIO, got to the final of our clubs Winter foursomes which was good prize money. Got a country membership to get a some variety. Only negatives are my performance in medals and the lack of handicap drop I wanted and covid impacting a few golf trips/away days that were cancelled

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No good, no qualifiers at home course and only 2 opens meant for the first time, I’ve not ended the season lower than I started it (+.1)

2 Scotland trips were an absolute joy. 2 more booked for next year, and a new (sort of) society starting back up, gives some light.

If you took away the trips, I’d probably take a hiatus from the game, bad scoring on a struggling muni is nothing to savour.

D