End of Year Report.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It’s been a mixed year for me, but ended better than it started.
Hitting the big 60 in a couple of days and working Monday - Friday 8-4:30 I’m limited to one day on a weekend and evenings after work in the summer.
Bought a house with my divorce monies in May and spent all summer doing it up, so probably played 3 or four times between May & October
Since then, been playing pretty much every Sunday, had a couple of 40 pointers and a 35 that should have been 40+.
One of those led to my first handicap reduction in 5 years
It’s still too high , but if I can play regularly , that will come down.

I can’t use my health as an excuse any more ?

How many 2 shot holes are you getting?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It’s been a mixed year for me, but ended better than it started.
Hitting the big 60 in a couple of days and working Monday - Friday 8-4:30 I’m limited to one day on a weekend and evenings after work in the summer.
Bought a house with my divorce monies in May and spent all summer doing it up, so probably played 3 or four times between May & October
Since then, been playing pretty much every Sunday, had a couple of 40 pointers and a 35 that should have been 40+.

I can’t use my health as an excuse any more ?

Work gets in the way and its a pain but having enjoyed your company on the course you are definitely better than the handicap indicates. Don't underestimate how much stress you have had in 2021 even if the health has been better (couldn't have been worse could it) so it all takes a toil. Hopefully with a calmer 2022 the handicap will tumble

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I gave up golf 2 years ago around mid December 2019, thinking my back would never tolerate another game. I played around in mid July this year, very badly. Another round in early November, which ended up as half a round because of the weather, + 2 sessions at the range - half a bucket each time.

I played my first competitive round 2 weeks ago, in very windy conditions, on the hardest course in the area. I shocked myself by winning the comp + a nearest the pin and a 2.

Played last week, finishing mid table but had another nearest the pin and a 2.

My last game of the year will be on Wednesday on my favourite course out here, Aguilon.

Over the moon to be back playing.
(y)(y)(y)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Back in May, I was seriously thinking of quitting. Had a terrible case of the shanks which was killing me. Just could not get rid of them.

Had a lesson which helped a lot and also had a major rethink, massively simplified my game, cut out all the swing thoughts and just hit the bloody thing.

Went from 24.5 in June to 19.0 when qualifiers ended last month, and have been cut another 4 shots since in our unofficial weekly comps, broke 90 for the first time, and am now regularly mid-80s, 83 today which is my best gross in a comp. Managed to win a few comps which is great for the confidence.

All in all, it's been the best year by a mile since I took the game up 5 years ago, am absolutely loving my golf these days.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This year has been a bit of a reality check for me....
Been playing off a 13 handicap for years, last "earned" at Cooden about 4 years ago.
More or less gave up playing for 3 years and as a consequence my handicap had lapsed.
Decided to join another local club, Highwoods, at the beginning of this year to get my handicap active again.
It's been a case of one bad round after another, and I currently sit on 19.1. A bit of an embarrassment if I'm honest, as I know I'm better than that.
Or am I??
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This year has been a bit of a reality check for me....
Been playing off a 13 handicap for years, last "earned" at Cooden about 4 years ago.
More or less gave up playing for 3 years and as a consequence my handicap had lapsed.
Decided to join another local club, Highwoods, at the beginning of this year to get my handicap active again.
It's been a case of one bad round after another, and I currently sit on 19.1. A bit of an embarrassment if I'm honest, as I know I'm better than that.
Or am I??
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Potentially dangerous is my assessment of that handicap

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a virtually non-existent golf year. Through one thing and another, not sure I've played 50 holes this year. That club membership fee was well-used :-( Between global plagues and my personal health problems, my fitness is now so low that I know I wouldn't be capable of playing 18 holes without a buggy. That's winter golf stuffed then. If my personal situation hasn't improved substantially by renewal time in April, I won't be able to justify another membership fee.

Oh well. 2022 has got to be a more productive golf year than 2021. Please, please, please let things be better in September. Missed the last two years golf holiday in Portugal and really don't want to miss another one.

Annoyingly, on the few times I played, I actually played quite well by my standards. I've lost a little distance (shotscope fan). I'm down about 8 yards on drives and my short game feel is distinctly rusty; but my game was definitely in better shape than I'd expected.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A good year for me. Started the year with a win, literally, won the cross country on New Year’s Day. Played away a fair bit this year, some 15 courses, including 5 in the top 100 and a couple of top courses not listed.

Played in 4 forum meets, and a couple of rounds away with other forum members. Played a couple of club matches, and played in more swindles than previous years.

Played 4 times a week during the lighter evenings, 2 times during the darker. Started the year on 18.9 and am currently sitting at 14.5.

Just really enjoying playing golf.

RichA

Visit site
My first full year as a golf club member. Played occasionally as a young man, but never seriously, before quitting and giving my clubs away in my 30s. Started again after lockdown 1 with 30 year old Eye 2 irons and a Mizuno T-Zoid 5 wood off eBay, joining a club in late 2020.
Obtained my first ever handicap (30) in Spring this year with a handful of enjoyable but poor rounds.
Got a set of G425 irons for my 50th birthday and nudged the HI down but wondered if I'd ever break 90, before hitting an 82 in a medal off the white tees on a day when everyone else had a shocker.
Realised that day how to get the best out of the G425s and I'm ending the year with the HI a whisker under 15. I'm thrilled and possibly slightly smug, but acutely aware that I've probably peaked already.
Never thought I'd be a member of a golf club, but found one that fits and I'm loving it. Made some great friends who I would never have otherwise met. I've played about 100 rounds with dozens of people I'd never met and only 1 wasn't enjoyable, due to being drawn with a total twit.
What a great game and how bizarre that I would probably have never rediscovered golf were it not for a life changing global pandemic.

Wishing you all a great 2022.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in May, I was seriously thinking of quitting. Had a terrible case of the shanks which was killing me. Just could not get rid of them.

Had a lesson which helped a lot and also had a major rethink, massively simplified my game, cut out all the swing thoughts and just hit the bloody thing.

Went from 24.5 in June to 19.0 when qualifiers ended last month, and have been cut another 4 shots since in our unofficial weekly comps, broke 90 for the first time, and am now regularly mid-80s, 83 today which is my best gross in a comp. Managed to win a few comps which is great for the confidence.

All in all, it's been the best year by a mile since I took the game up 5 years ago, am absolutely loving my golf these days.
Attaboy - me and you have both been living in Shankland and as you say it’s a miserable sodding place.

And from July, just like you, i‘ve stripped it all back to just focussing on hitting the (infraction word not used) ball, it doesn’t know about my backswing; it doesn’t know about my follow-through; and, lucky ball, it doesn’t know what’s going on in my head as I stand over it; it just knows about being hit. And so from regular high 80s and mid-90s (occasionally even higher) I’m back to regularly mid to high 70s. It can be beaten.

Onwards and Upwards to Infinity and Beyond (or wherever the golfing equivalent is…) ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My first full year as a golf club member. Played occasionally as a young man, but never seriously, before quitting and giving my clubs away in my 30s. Started again after lockdown 1 with 30 year old Eye 2 irons and a Mizuno T-Zoid 5 wood off eBay, joining a club in late 2020.
Obtained my first ever handicap (30) in Spring this year with a handful of enjoyable but poor rounds.
Got a set of G425 irons for my 50th birthday and nudged the HI down but wondered if I'd ever break 90, before hitting an 82 in a medal off the white tees on a day when everyone else had a shocker.
Realised that day how to get the best out of the G425s and I'm ending the year with the HI a whisker under 15. I'm thrilled and possibly slightly smug, but acutely aware that I've probably peaked already.
Never thought I'd be a member of a golf club, but found one that fits and I'm loving it. Made some great friends who I would never have otherwise met. I've played about 100 rounds with dozens of people I'd never met and only 1 wasn't enjoyable, due to being drawn with a total twit.
What a great game and how bizarre that I would probably have never rediscovered golf were it not for a life changing global pandemic.

Wishing you all a great 2022.

Great effort on the handicap. I know what you mean about great golfing friends. The guys I play with in the weekend roll ups are a great bunch and would genuinely do anything to help another guy out.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE="PhilTheFragger, post: 2438387, member: 3351"]It’s been a mixed year for me, but ended better than it started.

I can’t use my health as an excuse any more ?[/QUOTE]
Thats brilliant.... well done matey.... all the best for the New Year

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had an up and down year! Started the year playing off 13, finished playing off 10. Had a wobble throughout summer and crept up to 14 (had a stretch of 8 weeks where I didn’t play to handicap!!). Tweaked my grip and stance and it made the world of difference off the tee. Broke 80 twice since the changes (79 and 77, par 70). Bring on the decent weather!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven’t played as much as I’d have liked, I usually manage a round in the week but work has been too busy due to covid.

Golf opened back up on my birthday, found some feel and had a lesson concentrating on iron play. I’ve hit the range twice all year, so it’s been on course practice all year and as a result not many comps.

Irons and game in general much more consistent and as a result my scores reflect this. The odd terrible round (89) and the odd blinder (79) but generally between 81 and 84 just about every time I get out. Handicap down to an all time low.

Needless to say with the distinct lack of range / short game practice I’m very happy. It does beg the question how much lower I could have got with a decent amount of good quality practice.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah, I had an ok year....

Won club championship
Played every match as my club won the local scratch league
Won a national championship
Represented my country at senior home internationals
Got handicap down to scratch

Ok ok BEST YEAR EVER!!! :D

Hmm now I have to follow it next year...
Is that it; is that all you’ve got…

erm…? nae too bad I suppose…?