End of Year Report.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was thinking this week how little golf I’d played away from three miles from my front door but feel like it’s still been enjoyable enough

I played in one comp, where I had 48 putts, and had about a dozen rounds of playing to about 4/5, none of which would have happened had I thought about putting in a card. This remains a weakness.

The best thing remains playing with mates I haven’t seen for a while, generally at twilight, and getting to the coast is a close second. One overnight trip I did do was Silloth which was spectacular.

Am still yet to celebrate my 50th and, if I do get to, it will be in Dornoch. We’ve just sorted our annual trip to Royal North Devon in May which is always a treat.

Wow 48 putts how the hell did you manage that many, what course was that? those greens must have been very fast and tricky

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
For the first year since 2014 my handicap hasn't finished higher than it was at the start of the year. :)

After years of competitions ending with another 0.1 back I was hopeful at the start of this year, especially as I'd joined a new course and the hang-ups I had on the first and second holes at my old course would be no more.
Started in April at my new course and on WHS 16.4 index but within just over 2 months I was at 17.5, despite putting some good rounds together in casual play.
I then found some long missing form and have ended the year on 11.8, very happy with that and almost broke 80 in a comp, something I never expected to do again.

The classic clubs collection is still expanding (especially when I get a chance to acquire stuff without my wife knowing :eek: ) and I picked up a few very nice sets and putters.
I started a YouTube channel in March which has been quite rewarding, even if it takes a lot more time to put a video together than I imagined.

Played a decent number of courses, including 13 new ones.

Overall a very satisfactory year.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit disappointing really. Started off on a hcp of 20, got down as low as 18.2, finished on 18.9. Can’t quite seem to string a run of decent rounds together.

Enjoyed it though. Joined a new club in may, have met some decent people, played in some good comps and team events. Just hope I can make some heavier progress next year.

evemccc

Visit site
-No improvement in HI but like many, feel I am a lot better than 12 months ago.
-Met some decent new people, whether for a just a one-off round or as semi-regular PP, or in roll-ups or Medals at my club, or on Away days Open comps elsewhere
-Played first match for my club
- Played 17 courses apart from my home course. Some exceptional links and Heathland included
-Fallen ever more in love with playing the game of golf

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cap stayed the same.
Some really good golf but some not so.
My consistency has gone a bit I used to be very consistent,never shoot the lights out but never very poor.
Hit a couple of level par rounds but never got in the top five all season.
Went back to work part time so that’s my excuse.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Often seems to be putting that let me down (especially as I joined a new club for this year with some hellish greens) but just had a putting lesson that should hopefully sort that out!
Ah yes, the famous Grims Dyke greens. I was a member there for 10 years and it was 5 years before I felt I was getting a handle on them. (I once 5-putted the 5th, starting just 6 feet BELOW the hole).

When I moved to Devon and joined a club with more normal greens, I discovered that I'd never actually learned to putt straight. This year has mainly been devoted to rectifying that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah yes, the famous Grims Dyke greens. I was a member there for 10 years and it was 5 years before I felt I was getting a handle on them. (I once 5-putted the 5th, starting just 6 feet BELOW the hole).

When I moved to Devon and joined a club with more normal greens, I discovered that I'd never actually learned to putt straight. This year has mainly been devoted to rectifying that.
Yeah, I thought it was a good idea to get the putting lesson in now before I have to face the summer speeds for a while. Earlier this year I did witness my mate play a ten foot putt on the 15th that rolled up to the hole, stopped two inches short, then rolled straight back to his feet. ??

One thing I forgot to add to my original post was I got my first ever eagle this year - pitching in from 70 yards on the 14th. Gutted that we're not allowed to play this hole anymore. Ruined by moaners who shouldn't be given the time of day!

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a bad year. Won my first ever golf trophy and played quite a few different courses. Haven’t reduced my handicap or bettered my lowest score (admittedly both high compared to most on here), but I feel I am more consistent than I was. Had a fairly good record in inter-club seniors matches too. Overall quite pleased.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Decent year for me in my first proper year playing (with a handicap and entering comps etc). Got my first handicap and then dropped it by 5 shots. Reckon I could have gone lower had I been handing cards in on the non comp rounds towards the end of the season. My firstborn meant I wasn't able to get out on comp days as often.

Won my first comp, granted it was a 4bbb and my partner carried me.

Regularly shooting sub 80 now which I never thought possible.

Aim for 2022 is to get to single figures, which should be doable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Handicap from 6.6 to 10.2.

Played lots, played a number of different courses. Durness being my favourite new course played this year.

What a great year this has been once it got started, for golf. Hope I am luckily enough to have many more like this year.

Boomy

Visit site
First full year back playing golf, loved it, every minute and have met some great new buddies along the way.

Shot a lifetime PB gross 78 (6 over) at Silloth, in a comp, off the white tees and in torrid conditions. Oh and won that competition ? Also won an open competition playing away.

Finished the season with a h/cap index of 11.5 only to get an email from the club saying they’ve carried out the annual handicap review and have added another full shot on to mine, so 12.5 ? Which baffles me a little as I’ve won 2 comps with a nett 61 and 62.
62F7690E-AFFB-4514-AD57-843BCA1B9552.jpeg

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm playing as well as ever, the globe trotting corporate freebies have scaled back a lot for obvious reasons but that's ok things will get better eventually. Been a long time since I've held a handicap so can't say how that may have changed but I'm still breaking par regularly so I'm happy enough.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Wow 48 putts how the hell did you manage that many, what course was that? those greens must have been very fast and tricky

No, flat as pancakes. First medal for years and included putts from off the green and only missed about four greens. Not touched the putter or a scorecard since

D

Deleted member 1147

It was ok:
Started on 2.6, played poorly and remained 2.6. Then started to play better and went up to 4.2.
Now back to 2.8 after some decent golf, including a couple of level par rounds.

Was unbeaten in club matches, including an 8&7 victory away from home (Sherwood), and shooting 4 under gross around Matlock.

Enjoyed my first trip to Blackmoor (a lovely course), and my first H4H in a few years, along side StuC.
Enjoyed returning to Sherwood, one of my favourite courses.

But mainly it was nice to be healthy for a year :)

D

Deleted member 3432

First full year back playing golf, loved it, every minute and have met some great new buddies along the way.

Shot a lifetime PB gross 78 (6 over) at Silloth, in a comp, off the white tees and in torrid conditions. Oh and won that competition ? Also won an open competition playing away.

Finished the season with a h/cap index of 11.5 only to get an email from the club saying they’ve carried out the annual handicap review and have added another full shot on to mine, so 12.5 ? Which baffles me a little as I’ve won 2 comps with a nett 61 and 62.
View attachment 40075

Nearly spat my coffee all over myself reading about your extra shot back....

Love WHS ??

No wonder I'm uncompetitive ?

On a serious note, great playing on what is not an easy golf course (for some of us ?).

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played less than ever - can't get the enthusiasm back for golf even when the weather is glorious. Maybe it's run its course for me (excuse the pun)! Index up a little but only a shot on the course - quite like getting a shot on the 10th for sure. Contemplated not rejoining in October but decided to give it another year and see how I feel. I think part of what keeps me playing is the fact (relatively) I'm pretty good at it and seems a shame to let that go to waste!

I think cycling may become my main interest in 2022 so we'll see if I play enough golf to justify the cost of membership.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Played about 40 times at 17 different courses. I was fed up with the owner of my previous club so played lots of opens instead of club comps. 30+ members chose to leave (including virtually all of the committee!) and I'm now much happier at a new club so probably won't have so many different courses next year.

New courses included Boston (very pretty and friendly towards faders!), Bridlington Links, Bridlington GC, Ruddington, Radcliffe-on-Trent and, best of all, the beautiful and dramatic Flamborough Head.

Took part in Bridlington Golf Week with eleven mates and it was very well organised and enjoyable.

Index moved from 16.8 to 16.2 which is the lowest it's ever been.