End of Year Report.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Haven't seen one of these yet..apologies if I've missed one.

So ...
What was your golfing year like?
Good, bad, indifferent?

I played a phenomenal amount of golf this year, mainly due to my decision to go part-time.
I've played at least twice a week with CVG, quite a lot with Fragger, quite a lot with other mates and loads on my own.
Due to traffic in town its not worth starting work until well after 9.
This has given me the opportunity to gomup to the club early doors and play at least 9 holes 3 or 4 times a week when I'm not playing 18.
I estimate I've been up to the club somewhere in the region of 180+ times since we came out of lockdown...no wonder mu shoes are wearing out!
I've put in 48 cards, mainly Casual but several comps, and the Index has moved from 6.4 to.........6.5:ROFLMAO:
Some away days to Cuddington, Woodhall and Blackmoor...hope to do a few more next year.
I feel I'm a better player now than back in April and I'm really getting to know how the course plays.

So......what have you done?

evemccc

Visit site
I'm really getting to know how the course plays.

I am interesting in opinions on how long / many rounds it takes for people to class themselves as ‘knowing’ a course

And is this mostly how the greens play, or clubs to hit in different seasonal / weather conditions, or random quirks / hints in terms of lines in which to aim for etc

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I am interesting in opinions on how long / many rounds it takes for people to class themselves as ‘knowing’ a course

And is this mostly how the greens play, or clubs to hit in different seasonal / weather conditions, or random quirks / hints in terms of lines in which to aim for etc
It's the slopes on fairways and greens..I played with a couple of long-term members ( joined before I even started playing) and watching their lines into some holes was unreal..but it worked sometimes playing for the slope, sometimes not as well as knowing where the easiest approachis from. We've been up there coming on 2 years now admittedly with plenty of interruptions, but with the amount I've played this year I feel I "know" Ellesborough pretty well now.

G1z1

Visit site
My golfing year was great, only started just over a year ago. First game I had I shot 117 and best score currently is 72 on quite a short course, the 72 was 6 over. Also got an eagle that was nice. Current handicap is 24 although I haven’t put a card in for months.
Second year goals are single figures handicap and a hole in one.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve not had a great year, after playing some of my best golf during lockdown Summer, (Wife couldn’t work so was playing every week), I started this year badly, and never really recovered! My WHS was 7.2 at the start, and got up to 10.3, thankfully it’s on its way down and after a breakthrough lesson the other week, I’m hoping 2022 is much better to me!

I’ll also be getting new sticks, which I’m sure will sort everything out.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s been a transitional year. Started HI 8.4 and ended 10.0 via 10.9. Aiming for around 8 next year now that new swing technique and ideas are starting to bed in and show signs of life. All helped by my becoming a gentleman of leisure end March with plenty of time for practicing, something I’ve never before done, as well as daytime weekday rounds as I work on new stuff with my ‘all new‘ bats. One word for last year…Transitional. One word for today…Optimistic.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My handicap has stayed the same, but I have definitely improved. I wanted to break 80, unfortunately I've shot 80 three or four times on the dot and not bettered it. Often seems to be putting that let me down (especially as I joined a new club for this year with some hellish greens) but just had a putting lesson that should hopefully sort that out! My handicap would be lower if I'd have put a couple of cards in at the right time, but I didn't - I've probably played to 13 a few times so I know it's within reach for next year.

Short version - I feel that I've improved despite evidence to the contrary. ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Think it’s going to be the first year I haven’t won a club comp but it’s been a good year

Come. 2nd about 5 times including club championships

3 times shot in the 60’s in comps

HC went from 3 to 1

A great trip to South Wales with a bunch of forumers

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a decent year I think, my first “proper” year as a member at a club I’d say.

Reached the semi finals of our singles match play, then lost to the guy who ended up winning.

HI has dropped by 2 shots, but would have been a bit more if the match play cards counted as I shot +6/7/8 in 3 out of the 4 rounds. Have also ended the year in good form with 5 of my 8 counters in my last 5 rounds and then a 39 and 40 pointer this week (non qualifier). Cutting out my bad holes should see me close to single figures next year, and that’s the target.

Enjoyable days out at Cooden/Camerbley/New Zealand and Blackmoor for forum meets playing with some new faces. Hopefully more forum meets next year, people are far better in person than they can appear on here.

Overall, a good year and looking forward to next.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I started the season poorly. An inability to hit a driver anywhere near a fairway more than once a round saw my handicap rise quicker than a Mary Berry loaf. This changed after buying a new Cobra driver and in September I won 2 club main competitions and banked a tidy sum of cash but very little reduction of handicap

Seem at the moment to be playing as well as when I was playing off a 12 handicap so all I have to do is to remember everything for next season ?? - fat chance !

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Had a good year all in all. First eagle ever, first time parring all the par 3s in the same round, first time parring all the par 5s in the same round. WHS heading in the right direction. Ball striking greatly improved. The only thing letting me down is my putting which has been diabolical despite 2 lessons. Hopefully when (if) I can sort it out, I'll be golden. Lots to look forward to in 2022

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rubbish quite frankly. Started bad a got worse. Clubs have been put away since october and are staying there until the sun comes back out ,think its time for a break and do something else while the weather is crap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best round of the year was the first round coming back after lockdown, probably due to well rested shoulders an arms and well exercised legs. One big win in the Seniors Open 4BBB, best gross in the 1st round of the Seniors Championship sadly followed by a pretty poor second round. Several wins or second places in comps which led to being the Seniors order of merit champ.
Handicap wise 9.8 at start 9.9 at finish.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve been playing this year which was a surprise, in 2019 I was up to 13, not enjoying golf and doubt I played more than 6 games. I decided to take 2020 out and refurb the house coupled with a planned knee op but as it stood I was not going to rejoin anywhere, a few bounce games maybe but I was done. During the off-season lockdown v2.1.6 the misses kicked me up the arse and made me join somewhere as the knee op wasn’t happening.

Played some good golf, semi finals in singles and doubles summer comp, few sub 80 rounds after starting my first game back with something around 110-115 gross, but I’ve just tried to enjoy it, which was achieved. The knee op is still looming so next year it will either be a flexi membership for 6 months and a knee op in October, or a full year again. I’ve decided not to get overly hung up on my game other then enjoy it. Next year I want to do more rounds at other courses which work should allow.

D

Deleted member 25172

Highlights of the year:
Shooting a personal best 2 over par at my home club in a medal. That only gave me a second place as my net 67 was beat by a net 66 from a 24-handicapper. Not bitter.

Coming second at H4H at Blackmoor.

Dissapointments of the year:
Shooting a person best 2 over par, as I was level par standing on the 18th tee.

The Wales trip. Good company, beautiful weather and great courses spoilt by a horrendous dip in form and confidence. Golf simply isn’t fun no matter how nice the courses are if you play crap.

Favourite new course played: Blackmoor

Course that didn’t meet the expectations I had: New Zealand. Lovely kept, but the course itself, a bit - “meh”.

Started the year at 3.5, ending at 5.2. Somehow I still feel that I’m a better golfer overall.

Hopes for 2022:

Shoot level or below par at some point.

To become more accurate with my driver.

To make it to the final in our CC. Have 2x QF and 1x SF in my 3 years as a member.

What I most look forward to in 2022:

Swinley Forest

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Was thinking this week how little golf I’d played away from three miles from my front door but feel like it’s still been enjoyable enough

I played in one comp, where I had 48 putts, and had about a dozen rounds of playing to about 4/5, none of which would have happened had I thought about putting in a card. This remains a weakness.

The best thing remains playing with mates I haven’t seen for a while, generally at twilight, and getting to the coast is a close second. One overnight trip I did do was Silloth which was spectacular.

Am still yet to celebrate my 50th and, if I do get to, it will be in Dornoch. We’ve just sorted our annual trip to Royal North Devon in May which is always a treat.