End of year report

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Well it's certainly been a strange year and golfing plans and ambitions went out the window. Had to cancel a trip to Ireland twice so haven't played as many new courses as I thought I would and most opens were binned off as well. On the plus side thanks to WHS I had a decent handicap cut. So overall probably a C- for me.

How has your year been?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Like you, I had a boat load of trips kiboshed but the pandemic.
Still managed to play some great courses through. Had fun doing it too.

B- for me when I had an A+ year planned

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
B- for me when I had an A+ year planned
Sounds familiar!!

Managed to get to Porthcawl and Burnham before lockdown started. Played the Bideford Bay Open (Saunton E and RND) in July when things opened up again. Gutted to have missed the "Machs meet" - largely as we had a major road trip in place around it.

Hoping for a better 2021, but I don't see it as yet!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Barely played at the Zoo for the first 3 months of the year due to the weather.
Joined Ellesborough and began playing early March but lockdown came 3 weeks later.
Once we were back it was obvious that..
A. My game had gone south
B. I needed to work out how to play the course

Luckily I couldn't go back to work for a couple of months so played as much as I could.
Gradually began to make headway and after 8 successive 0.1s the cuts started coming
Results improved and the handicap came down from 9 to 6.1 when WHS kicked in and gave me 6.7.
No comps or supps at the moment but hopefully that will change come the new year.

So, in summary, 8.2 to 9 to 6.1, a win and a 2nd place and some consistency in breaking 80 regularly and a course that hasn't shut for rain...
I'm giving myself a A-

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not played anywhere near as much as I wanted to due to the pandemic. Cancelled a few trips due to it as well.
However, had a decent year playing a fantastic course with a great group of people, so it's a B+ for me.

D

Deleted member 21258

No comps played. Handicap cut due to WHS and most recent rounds in 2019 data.

Played a few new courses due to H4H vouchers and one holiday back in February. Played at courses B and G more than before, played less at H, M , S than before.

Overall its a U for me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Far more consistent so that is an A

Not made the h/c breakthrough I was hoping for so that is a B

I had lots of fun so that is an A

The obvious restrictions reduced the amount I could play plus the amount of fun possible B-

All in all, B to B+

It highlighted, it was ever really needed, that the social aspect of golf is really very important, to me anyway. I don't drink after golf, always driving, can't take my drink, but a coffee or a lemonade and a debrief really is a little pleasure. I can look back and enjoy those little moments we were allowed this year but equally it reminds me how much of that I have missed and do miss.

D

Deleted member 15344

Prob about an A minus

A few trips were cancelled

But managed to get games at Porthcawl, Walton Heath , Royal Norwich amongst others and a group trip to Woodhall

Happy that H4H happened

Handicap with the new System now at 2.4

Biggest achievement was winning the County Championship 4ball

D

Deleted member 25172

It's got to be an A. I've continued to develop throughout the year despite lockdown, had a great summer organising an informal 9-hole league which was something to look forward to every week as it usually finished with a few drinks afterwards.

Highlights:
Managed to win a Motocaddy in what I think was the biggest field of the year at our club when I shot a gross 73 which was the best score I've done in a comp.

H4H - Amazing courses (Sonning was absolutely brilliant too) and very happy I managed to play some good golf away from home. I was level par on the par 4's and 5s, but 8 over par on the par 3's...

My short game improvements. I've worked quite a lot on my putting and my overall short game around the green. That really paid off this year, and was probably the biggest reason why I've managed to continue to lower my handicap.

Started the year playing off 8.8, ending the year with my new WHS handicap of 4.4. The CONGU handicap was 5.0 before it got transferred to WHS.

The not so good things of the year:
My driving. It can be one of my best "weapons", but when it's off - it's OFF. Need to work to make the misses not so penalizing.

The open comp at Royal Cinque Ports. The weather was horrendous. A friggin storm - in August? 40-45 mph winds and hammering it down. Simply couldn't play in those conditions. If I remember correctly I lost 6-7 balls and had 16 points, of which 12 of them came on the front 9. Just horrendous. Have been there twice now, and the weather has been playing up both times. Not looking to go back anytime soon, as it's a rather expensive place to go to get beaten up by the weather.

Things to look forward to in 2021:
- Princes open comp in May
- Weekend away in Wales to play Aberdovey and Royal St Davids in July
- Woking and New Zealand in July
- H4H - Wherever that may be. Super excited already even though I don't know where or when we'll play it.
- Hope to squeeze in a few more new courses throughout the year and get to know even more people from the forum.

Goals 2021:
Shoot level par
End the year with a lower handicap than I'm starting it with
Minimum 3 hours practice per week during season (April - October)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got my name on the board, stayed at 5, played Royal Birkdale (amazing) and plenty lockdown Matchplay golf against my buddy at his average course on a great deal - had great fun.

Given the circumstances that’s an A. You had to adjust your expectations this year, next year I look forward to B and maybe A team scratch golf more than anything. I had thought of leaving my club start of last year but ours went through a lot and I’m glad I stayed to support it. We’ll see at the end of next season whether the move is back on the cards.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started the year post lockdown like a house on fire. Was hitting the ball well and scoring very impressively.

However. Golf wise it’s all going to pot.

I’ve had a rough year tbh with a divorce that’s been dragged out by a certain individual... plus my dad had bad cancer which beat him in the end.

What I found was that the idea of escaping the world for a few hours on the course, did not always help.

It’s a long walk between shots and the mind can wander. if you are not in a happy place then I can be an even longer lonelier walk than it really should be.

It’s hard to quantify why my form has evaporated though.

I’ve had a few lessons and played half a dozen practice rounds and in both I have produced ball striking that I have only dreamt about during my time playing golf.

My driving can be massive and straight and even though my H/c is not reflective of my ability I think that I have a short game and putting ability which many players would be envious off.

If your heads not in the right place though it’s just not going to happen though. At least that’s what I have found.

On the plus side though. I’ve had some cracking times in the course and plenty of golf jolly’s which were just brilliant. Did the fife trip and the Isla trip and played amazing courses with some top lads.

It’s a bit of a self indulgent post this so apologies.

If I had to sum up I’d say it’s a D- for golf improvement but a B+ for the times when it was fun.

Visit site
Won a Competition at Woodhall Spa (fabulous course) in March, (weekend before Lockdown). Missed out on playing in numerous competitions after that, but my new WHS handicap has me below 10 for the first time ever. I organised a Scottish Tour for our society, so six of us played Carnoustie, Montrose, Edzell and Monifieth in September, which was a bonus. Considering the current pandemic, I would rate the year as a B. It would have been close to A had I been able to play all our Society matches, which include Royal Lytham.
I also managed to get my partner to join a golf club for the first time, and she is loving her introduction to "proper" competitions.
2021 Ambition. To become a single figure golfer. (Doubtful) To take my partner abroad for some golf in a warm climate. (Doubtful)
To remain fit despite advancing perilously close to 70. (We shall see).

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Positives -I have had a lot of good results, won Captains, Presidents and Lady Captains prizes at my club and with my partner won 2 of the mixed board comps, also go the to regional final of the Titleist Matchplay, WHS got my handicap below 10 (9.9) managed to play a few new courses, asked to be Ladies captain in 2021 (now 2022)

negatives, failed to really improve, before WHS my handicap went up from 10 to 11, was due to play in Strathtyrum at St Andrews until it was cancelled, Titleist final I qualified for has been postponed until mid 2021.

I ought to report an B+

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Had a batch of lessons in the year up to March 2020, finishing when the course was closed due to early spring flooding and then the first lockdown, got back as soon as lockdown ended and went straight into reorganised comps, so little time to practice what I'd changed in the lessons. So a long list of +.1's taking me from 12.4 to 14.3 which, with the WHS, went to 14.5 and 16 off our yellows. The day before the 2nd lockdown it all started to work and I shot a gross 76 (70) off 16 (yellows) and havn't been able to play a qualifying round since but very happy with the golf I've played, especially as the newly acquired Evnroll putter looks to work better than the spider.

Difficult to grade my game but will come back to 11 or 12 I reckon if the form stays good

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
B+, almost an A but needed one thing to tip it over the edge.

Achievements
1. Continued run of not shooting over 90 round a full 18 hole course
2. Had plenty of birdies
3. Played within myself and to my game plan for the most part
4. Improved my ball striking and driving.
5. Set or matched a few scoring records
6. Had buckets and buckets of fun
7. Moved recent (last 10 rounds) scoring for 9 holes a the par 3 to +3 or better. Last score over was back in August and average for first half of season was +6 so improved by 3 shots!

Could Do Better
1. Didn't break 80 (Really should have done, had plenty of chances)
2. No eagles (not a huge issue as didn't have any chances either)
3. Short game not improving (lack of practice is the main issue)
4. Didn't play enough (common issue for all golfers this year)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Negatives:
Like most, plans for visits to various courses went awry and the year didn't go as planned.
Probably the hardest hit were hickory games, I think I played one 18 hole game and one 9 hole through the year!
Also missed out on several meet-ups with other vintage golf saddoes.
Handicap is still moving in the wrong direction although I think it should stabilise and hopefully go down now that it's reached the horrifying level of 16.4 index, 19 strokes off the whites or 18 playing 95% :eek:.
Still undecided on whether to stay at the club or not, I feel I need a change but the membership are great.

On the positive side:
I added a few more vintage clubs to the collection.
My frozen shoulder has slowly improved over the year and I'm getting some distance back.
Next year has got to be better!

Overall - C

D

Deleted member 1147

C
Not played enough, didn't play great when I did (except the start of the year), also had to cancel too many games - especially disappointed about LQ & Cam's Scotland trip.
WHS at 2.6 isn't too bad though
Hopefully next year will be better.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A mixed bag for me. Could never really get going in comps this year so Handicap didn't move much, but the one good week I had, I did manage to get down to my lowest of 15. Which after the WHS was introduced went all the way back up to 16.5, so disappointed with that.

Got my swing moving in the right direction and have seen a lot of improvement swing wise. Played through out the of season so far, and I am seeing so great results, best being a 5 over for the 12 winter league holes. It's the usual story tho, thing start going my way and then the comps stop.

Looking forward I'm not sure what next year will bring. I have set out my 2021, goals with a view of working hard in the off season to get ready to achieve them. But I'm considering going as a nomad next year and giving up membership for a season. With baby number two due in March, I don't envision much playing or even practice time next year so don't see the point in paying a membership to not use it that much. So thinking of just getting to the range when possible and getting the odd game when time allows.

Over all for the year, I'd put myself at around a C.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
C
Not played enough, didn't play great when I did (except the start of the year), also had to cancel too many games - especially disappointed about LQ & Cam's Scotland trip.
WHS at 2.6 isn't too bad though
Hopefully next year will be better.
Minus the Scotland trip this is mine, even to the same handicap index! Did get to play Turnberry which is the only highlight in an otherwise forgettable golfing year.