End of an Era

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The last BT Phone Book was popped through our letter box today. I remember when they landed with a "thunk" and were so thick, strongmen used to rip them apart as part of their act.
View attachment 51469
I'm not sure if we have one here any longer, certainly not had one delivered since covid, not had a yellow pages either, that would seem surplus to requirements now. mind we have not had out land line plugged in for at least 6 years

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We received one on Monday. What % of the population use them now? The writing was so small. I almost posted in random irritations.

the money would have been far better spent for The Horizon scandal. However no idea of the amount nor whether the PO paid for it.

Ours went straight in the paper waste collection

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are/were only in the book if you were /are a BT customer hence the shrinkage.

You also only got the book if you were/are a BT customer

Like with yellow pages disappearing so many of us use the net now to get the info we want

Do remember not to throw the old ones out as there may be names in it that are not in that version.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We received one on Monday. What % of the population use them now? The writing was so small. I almost posted in random irritations.

the money would have been far better spent for The Horizon scandal. However no idea of the amount nor whether the PO paid for it.

Post Office and Telecoms have been separate for many years now.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We haven't had YP or phone book for years and years......
As an aside, while tidying up a bookcase today I found an Argos catalogue from 2013.... :ROFLMAO:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one I received a few weeks ago had a note saying this would be the last one published but the website makes no mention of it.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

It's BT, not the Post Office.

Interestingly enough, we're not a BT customer either so I was surprised to receive it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can't believe they still exist. No idea when our last one was and it would have gone straight into the recycling bin anyway. From a bygone era....
Not seen a phone book or yellow pages for years. Didn't know they still printed them. Surely a waste as how many land lines are there these days and who would use them in a digital age

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not seen a phone book or yellow pages for years. Didn't know they still printed them. Surely a waste as how many land lines are there these days and who would use them in a digital age
Looking at the back of my GC diary I would estimate over 80% of members still have a landline.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at the back of my GC diary I would estimate over 80% of members still have a landline.
Having one and using it are two different subjects.

Probably around 40% of our membership are ex directory on the clubs website.

I tell my mates to phone me on the landline because I do not carry my phone around the house, the majority still phone my mobile.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I do recall as a kid quickly opening it to find our listing as if we were famous or something :)

I remember looking for us in the book and being chuffed there was only two with the same surname in and around Middlesbrough. On a visit to a girlfriend’s in north Lincs I was amazed to see 2-3 pages with our name in.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
not sure when was the last time i saw one..... More importantly how many people still have land lines? We have ours because it is free with virgin media. I am not sure when the equipment is though :)