Electric car for golfers?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me, electric cars are merely an expensive stop gap until hydrogen fuel cell technology has been brought down to reasonable cost with the infrastructure to support it. Hybrid is as far as I would go, although when I changed my car a year ago i went from diesel to petrol only.

I dont buy all the claims about electric cars.
How does the lithium get sourced? How much extra energy is used and the harm done to the enviroment getting that lithium ? How poluting are those batteries when they die or are no good?
How long do you think governments or all colours are going to allow tax free electric car driving? not long once too many buy them. When will they realise the extra weight and braking electric cars have to do are causing particulate pollution from the extra brake material thats being thrown off?
What about all the motor trade jobs surplus to electric car needs and the problems jobs losses creates?
Since we are vergeing on needing more electric than we produce, why encourage more people to use electric?

Just some of my thoughts and concerns.:)

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
That's no use to man nor beast!

How do I get to Machrihanish? In all seriousness, I will probably change my car next year and would consider something "economical" but I want at least 400 miles out of one. Also why can the battery not "self charge" while driving?

For my daily work run I do on average about 50 miles per day, so it's more than enough for my needs. I've never once run out of charge, and if I did there are contingency plans in place.
Before I had this van I had a Mercedes Vito (Pile of garbage!) and my average monthly fuel bill was£200+. Now my average monthly fuel bill (in electric charges) is less than £30. Plus I pay zero road tax, my repair bills have disappeared, and I can use certain bus lanes in my area due to being a 'ULEV'. Trust me, driving along an empty bus lane down a two mile stretch of stationary traffic never gets old! :giggle:

I do have a normal car for any long journeys I need to take, but much prefer to use my van for most journeys as it's a joy to drive!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Aparently there are presently 3 places in the UK where you can charge a hydrogen vehicle. There is one near me in North London. I saw a Toyota fuel cell car earlier this year. It is the only one I have ever seen. Brave move to buy a car that does 300 miles, but only 3 places to fill it up.

Smaller cars will always be more efficient if electric. Fuel cells would work better for larger cars and buses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
18 months ago I changed my company car. I looked around for a decent electric or hybrid but there were none that suited that were also affordable. Still, I expected this to be my last diesel car, new cars would emerge. 18 months on there has been virtually no progress in cars available to the consumer if you have to do more than short journeys. I change again in another 18 months and I am hoping that next year will bring about a heap of launches as otherwise it will be same again.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If second hand is being considered, have you factored in the cost of a replacement battery? I was looking at " pre owned" Honda Civic hybrids and the battery cost put me off. The financial maths was made even less appealing as my existing conventional car gives just as good fuel economy.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Looked into getting an electric car back in March. After trying some out, decided the Renault Zoe was just the job, and found some secondhand ones at seemingly decent prices.

"Oh no, that price doesn't include the batteries, sir. You can buy them outright for about 5 grand. Or lease them: cheapest option is about 40 quid a month - which limits you to 4500 miles a year".

So Renault want to charge me 10p a mile just to have the batteries, before I've even paid for the electricity to charge them!
Modern petrol cars are cheaper to run. I bought another Skoda.