Ebb and Flow... the story of Matchplay

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
WARNING!!! Long descriptive passage ahead! If you are not in the mood to read a hole by hole, blow by blow description hit the back button now!

An account of my first ever Club Singles Knockout match

The very best matchplay matches are those where the lead changes hands often. Today, my very first every singles knockout match the lead changed four times! Yes four times!

Teeing off at 4.30 in windy conditions I was playing an 8 handicapper, I am off 14. It seems a tough ask for an improving mid handicapper to try and match an established single figure player but I gave it my all.

The first hole was close, I missed a 4 footer for a par to win, ending it in a half. A four on the par 3 2nd to go one down, first holding of a lead.

I then won the 3rd with a nice par, halved the next. I missed another easy one on 5 for bogey, one down now.

A good tee shot but still lost the par 3 6th, two down! Then 7 was almost a birdie! Drove nice, duffed my layup so had to go for the green. Uphill into the wind from 185, I nailed a 5 wood to about 12 feet and he conceded as he was still off the green for 6 and I was putting for a 4!

I won 8 with two solid shots and a good putt to bring it back to all square.

On to the SI 9th, the tricky par 4 was halved in 5s. Then the real exciting stuff happened. Two pars on 10 and 11 put me two up followed by two double bogeys, back to all square! Just one lead change in 13 holes!

14 is tough, a long par 4 into the wind and uphill. My opponent drove wild right but found a good lie, put himself on the back fringe. I drove down the middle but dropped my approach in the bunker, 6 feet below the hole and about 20 yards away! I thought I was out of it until I hit the bunker shot of my life to 4 feet and rolled in the par. His 5 meant I was back to 1 up! Two lead changes now.

A couple of three putts on 15 and 16 put me one down standing on the 17th tee, now three lead changes and I was getting nervous, no shots left so I had to match him on one hole and win the other to take it to extra holes!

He drove wild right again on the par 3, 180 ish yards. Lucky for him it dropped out of the trees onto the path leading up to the 18th tee, he still had a chance!!

Under the pressure of my life, into a howling gale I nailed a 4 iron to about 10 feet short and two putted. He missed his tiddler to leave it all square going down 18!

Two nervous but safe drives were followed by two nervous but safe layups. I had about 80 yards and he had about 90. I had no water or bunkers in the way, he had to fly it to the tight pin cut right on the front.

He played first, rolling just past to about 15 feet. I got a bounce off the hill and rolled onto the top tier, 30 feet away!

I had to put across a left to right breaking top tier, then die it on the edge of the slope to let it roll up close. A big ask for any player as anything short is a testing 5 footer down a tier, anything long is off the green!

somehow I stopped it between the bottom of the tier and the hole, 3 feet away but still left to right and a tough putt.

He had to just roll it close and tap in to put the pressure on. He did the first bit, getting inside my 3 feet by an inch or so. A tough putt still, like mine it was left to right but it could also be straight depending on the speed of the greens.

By sheer luck rather than skill I holed out, I was ready for extra holes then! I stood back, full of nerves but knowing I could play the 1st hole well if we had to go there. He stepped up and rolled it by on the low side... I had won and took the 4th and final lead change!

Hopefully that all adds up, I cannot believe I won and what a match! We were both exhausted afterwards and the sweet taste of nectar in the clubhouse was a blessing!

On to the next round now, lets hope its a lot less stressful! I am so happy I could pull out the shots when I needed. The most annoying thing was both the doubles on 12 and 13 were from shots that were struck better than expected and overshot the green. One was a 5 iron from 160 into the wind, ball below my feet. The second was the same but with a 7 iron with the wind and even more below my feet, that one going a full 200 yards!

Overall I have learnt so much, which I would have done even if I lost but winning just makes it even better. I cannot wait for the next one and I hope I learn as much again!

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice to see the fresh face of youth loving matchplay after a win. Wait til you've played for a few years and been handed your ar$e by a 16 h/c who played to 4 then we'll see how you like it ;)

Well done on your win and good luck in the 2nd round

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
tooo long & im tooooo tired to read it :D :D :D read the replys & i take it you were down couple of times & got back to win, well done man good stuff

In short, went two down, then two up, then one up, one down then won one up.

Either read the long passage or the above sentence, your choice!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
tooo long & im tooooo tired to read it :D :D :D read the replys & i take it you were down couple of times & got back to win, well done man good stuff

In short, went two down, then two up, then one up, one down then won one up.

Either read the long passage or the above sentence, your choice!
sounds like a great match mate well done ,, easy to get the head down when 2 down , good stuff

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds like a great match mate well done ,, easy to get the head down when 2 down , good stuff

Blummin was both of us had to play some very good golf to win holes. I felt I gave away a lot of holes with double bogeys on the back 9 but I also parred 5 times too on the 9. He won all those 4 hole with pars so together we were level gross on the back!

The only sad thing is he only missed two putts under 5 feet and both were on 17 and 18 and cost him the match. I missed my short ones on the front 9 to go 2 down but then hardly missed on the back apart from two three putts where I steamrollered or duffed them all, not even getting inside 5 feet after two goes!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Blummin was both of us had to play some very good golf to win holes. I felt I gave away a lot of holes with double bogeys on the back 9 but I also parred 5 times too on the 9. He won all those 4 hole with pars so together we were level gross on the back!

The only sad thing is he only missed two putts under 5 feet and both were on 17 and 18 and cost him the match. I missed my short ones on the front 9 to go 2 down but then hardly missed on the back apart from two three putts where I steamrollered or duffed them all, not even getting inside 5 feet after two goes!
Yeah but you hung in there & got the result, youl be suprised how much itl stand to your game in future tho

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had something similar yesterday in a match against Caversham Heath. Went from 2 down after 3 to 1 up after 6 and back to all square by the turn. Finally got in front at 12 and went dormie 3 on 15. My partner got a nett par for the half to win. Great game. Played against a 15 year old off 11 who hits a great ball and a Scouser who was a joy to play against. My partner and I are now unbeaten - played 2 won 2 as a pairing

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nice to see the fresh face of youth loving matchplay after a win. Wait til you've played for a few years and been handed your ar$e by a 16 h/c who played to 4 then we'll see how you like it ;)

+1

I hate Singles Matchplay. I always come up against the Guy Jammy describes above. And I have actually had to shoot a hole-in-one for a half before. Oppo was getting a shot at a par 3 and dropped it 2 inches from the hole - nett 1.
Great game....

Wheyayeman

Assistant Pro
Visit site

:D I got beat on Friday 1 down by a 16 handicapper who played the back 9, 2 over gross.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
What was really nice was they guy just emailed me congratulating me on a good round and apologising for being a bit sour as he was a bit cross with himself for missing such a short putt on both of the last two holes.

He then continued in the email to ask if I would like to join him and his friends for a round or two later in the summer!

What a great guy he is, a perfect gentleman in defeat from my view, wasnt sour at all! Very complimentary and even nominated my 20 yard bunker shot from 6 foot below the hole to 4 feet away as the shot of the day.

I just hope the next match can live up to this one! I am playing the reigning seniors club champion!